Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • g8bdy
    • By g8bdy 18th Jul 19, 6:33 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    g8bdy
    First Direct VR
    • 18th Jul 19, 6:33 AM
    First Direct VR 18th Jul 19 at 6:33 AM
    A couple of months ag I set up Voice Recognition with FD. I was told I would no longer need passwords, memorable names etc
    Called the bank yesterday and the VR didnt recognise my voice and I was asked to provide a password to gain access, well the one I had used multiple times before didnt match their PW
    To cut a long story short, my account was blocked
    I called later in the day to be told my test VR didnt match the VR pattern on yestedays call
    However, they agreed when they listened to both conversations it was obviously me, but the VR software said No
    Took me over an hour to get my account unblocked
    Time to switch
Page 1
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 18th Jul 19, 7:35 AM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    18cc
    • 18th Jul 19, 7:35 AM
    • 18th Jul 19, 7:35 AM
    off you go then ...
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 18th Jul 19, 8:39 AM
    • 5,875 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:39 AM
    • 18th Jul 19, 8:39 AM
    If that really warrants switching then so be it.
    One less person clogging up their call centres.
    • g8bdy
    • By g8bdy 18th Jul 19, 10:34 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    g8bdy
    • 18th Jul 19, 10:34 AM
    • 18th Jul 19, 10:34 AM
    "One less person clogging up their call centres."
    Well as they clogged me up for 70 mins, I thought I would try another Call Centre

Intraguing to note FD were having problems back in 2016 as reported on this web site with VR, looks as though problems still exist
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 18th Jul 19, 10:57 AM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 18th Jul 19, 10:57 AM
    • 18th Jul 19, 10:57 AM
    That's the problem with biometrics; the scope for false negatives. Obviously they always have to err on the side of caution so somebody can't simply do an impression of you over the phone and access your money, but it's understandably frustrating to be told that you don't sound like yourself, or your face looks wrong today, or please could you touch your finger to the pad more convincingly. Consider it a handy shortcut *when* it works and always have a functional Plan B.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 18th Jul 19, 11:16 AM
    • 549 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    • 18th Jul 19, 11:16 AM
    • 18th Jul 19, 11:16 AM
    That's the problem with biometrics; the scope for false negatives. Obviously they always have to err on the side of caution so somebody can't simply do an impression of you over the phone and access your money, but it's understandably frustrating to be told that you don't sound like yourself, or your face looks wrong today, or please could you touch your finger to the pad more convincingly. Consider it a handy shortcut *when* it works and always have a functional Plan B.
    Originally posted by Flobberchops

Actually it's a functional Plan A we need - don't bother with these 'solutions looking for problems'. Most forms of so-called biometrics are fraught with difficulties. What was the problem with supplying basic password data? Voice recognition, if it works, will save what - two or three seconds of customer time?

I find it laughable how HSBC/FD think they're trail blazers in the use of new technology such as garbage like this. Pity they can't make better use of technology for the new SCA regulations! Their offering here is the lowest tech of all the banks (except perhaps Nationwide).

OP, you do right. Vote with your feet. Eventually the likes of FD may get the message, but probably not, given the size of HSBC - or put another way - the probably don't give a FF.
    • Highland76
    • By Highland76 18th Jul 19, 3:04 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Highland76
    • 18th Jul 19, 3:04 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 3:04 PM
    What was the problem with supplying basic password data? Voice recognition, if it works, will save what - two or three seconds of customer time?
    Originally posted by johnsmith1890
    Considering many people rarely need to call their bank these days, I imagine its the fact that not everyone can remember their password and/or memorable information if they call after a long time. I suspect I'm not alone, but i certainly don't write such info down on a piece of paper. Therefore having Voice ID makes it far more convenient for the customer, very much doubt it its just to shave a few seconds . Oh btw, i have never had an issues with Voice ID with FirstDirect - its always worked flawlessly even when I had a bad sore throat
    Last edited by Highland76; 18-07-2019 at 3:22 PM.
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 18th Jul 19, 3:33 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    • 18th Jul 19, 3:33 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 3:33 PM
    Another thought on VR - does it continuously check the voice print during the entire dialogue? If not, I guess it's feasible to record someone - perhaps a colleague - with your mobile as they're talking to the bank, then call up the bank yourself with the recording. When/if you're accepted, then use your own voice thereafter to plunder their account. Maybe they can detect a recording as opposed to a real voice?
    • Highland76
    • By Highland76 18th Jul 19, 3:42 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Highland76
    • 18th Jul 19, 3:42 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 3:42 PM
    Would be rather funny if the OP moves to Lloyds/BoS/Halifax....

https://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/Media/Press-Releases/2018-press-releases/lloyds-banking-group/voice-id-launches-to-customers-of-lloyds-halifax-and-bank-of-scotland/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,388Users online

Martin's Twitter