EON Smart Meters

Comments

• dreamypuma
    dreamypuma Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I got the following response from Eon on twitter:

"I'm not aware of any such ruling regarding the SMETS1 meter installation to be honest, we are however now fitting SMETS2 meters in most areas of the Uk, this is dependant on the availability of SMETS2 trained engineers in your area.

When you are offered the meter exchange appointment you would be best off just asking at the time to ensure that your install is a SMETS2 model to be better safe then sorry."

Still seems like a roll out program out of control, based on the earlier linked article. I won't be having a SMETS1 meter installed that's for sure.
    My farts hospitalize small children :o
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Check the terms and conditions.

2.6 When we can disconnect your energy

If you’ve got a smart meter, we can disconnect the energy without visiting your property. For any other kind of meter, you’d have to give us access to it. If you don’t, we might have to get a warrant and we’ll charge you for that.

That might not happen to many people but here at least doubts' to these meter's are beginning to arise.

How long will it take to attend a fault?That needs to be checked too.Anything more then a four hour wait and I would walk away from installation,credit customers' need the same level of protection as prepayment for faulty metering.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    dreamypuma wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I have now switched to EON. My understanding is that after 15th March providers are no longer permitted to install SMETS1 meters.

Does this now mean that EON can assure that a SMETS1 meter will not be installed?
    dreamypuma wrote: »
    I got the following response from Eon on twitter:

"I'm not aware of any such ruling regarding the SMETS1 meter installation to be honest, we are however now fitting SMETS2 meters in most areas of the Uk, this is dependant on the availability of SMETS2 trained engineers in your area.

When you are offered the meter exchange appointment you would be best off just asking at the time to ensure that your install is a SMETS2 model to be better safe then sorry."

Still seems like a roll out program out of control, based on the earlier linked article. I won't be having a SMETS1 meter installed that's for sure.

Hello dreamypuma and thanks for joining us.

Our SMETS2 roll-out has been really ramped up. On average, we're installing around 7000 a week (approx 85% of all smart meters we put in). Wherever possible, we'll fit SMETS2.

There are certain situations where it's not possible to fit SMETS2 right now. For instance, there are signal issues in some areas north of Manchester. There are also specific metering conditions we're still sorting. In these cases, until we've a solution, we'll continue to put in SMETS1.

From a regulatory point of view, we're still allowed to install SMETS1. It's just that we can't count any done after 15 March 19 towards our installation targets.

Later this year, we'll start to upgrade SMETS1 meters so they're managed in the same way as SMETS2. This includes staying smart after a change of supplier.

Our twitter rep was mainly right although our phone advisors won't be able to guarantee which type of meter will be fitted when they book appointments. This will depend on the circumstances our technicians find when they arrive on site. As I say, wherever possible, it'll be SMETS2.

Hope this explains dreamypuma. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    wayne12345 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I changed to EON a few weeks ago and arranged to have smart meters fitted after the 15th March because I wanted SMETS2 meters fitted.
    Ive just checked with EON to make sure that the new meters would be SMETS2. The lady at the booking centre informed me that there is no certainty that I will get SMETS2. I questioned her about the cut off date for fitting SMETS1. She told me that there is no cut off date and I might get SMETS1.
    I have cancelled the installation due to this.

Was she correct? Are energy suppliers still allowed to install SMETS1 meters?

Hello wayne12345 and welcome to the Forums.

Thank you for joining us and I hope my post in reply to dreamypuma helps explain our current position regarding SMETS1 and 2 smart meters. As I said above, we're committed to this roll-out and are working to resolve the issues currently stopping us installing SMETS2 in certain circumstances.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Customers moving to tariffs linked to smart meters agree we can talk to them about having these meters. As above, it might not be possible to fit them and this won't affect their tariff as they'll be able to stay on it. Also, smart meters are optional and customers can turn them down. At this point, our advisor will talk about the options available at that particular time.
    Does this mean I can change my tariff for a cheaper one but opt to not have the smart meter with it, if not, what are the options offered?.
    amersall wrote: »
    Does this mean I can change my tariff for a cheaper one but opt to not have the smart meter with it, if not, what are the options offered?.

Hello amersall and I posted our latest position on this recently in another thread. It's at the following link.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75741603&highlight=eon#post75741603

Hope this helps.

Malc
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks Malc, much appreciated.
    You're welcome amersall. Happy to help.

Malc
  • Highland76
    Highland76 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 8 July 2019 at 9:59PM
    There are certain situations where it's not possible to fit SMETS2 right now. For instance, there are signal issues in some areas north of Manchester. There are also specific metering conditions we're still sorting. In these cases, until we've a solution, we'll continue to put in SMETS1.
    Hi Malc
    I'm in the process of switching my energy (both gas & electric) over to E.ON and would like to get a SMETS2 meter fitted after my supply is live. I live way up North in Inverness (IV2) and the antenna used to communicate with smart meters is just 100 metres or so from my property. Does that mean the likelihood of getting a SMETS2 meter from E.ON is very high? If SMETS2 is not available then I will hold until its available in my area.

Also do both the gas & electric smart meters send readings independently, or do both meters communicate with each other and then send both readings in one go?

Cheers
  • GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am with Eon and been told twice now i need to book an appointment for a smart meter and even got a text once telling me when my appointment will be
    I replied i am NOT having a smart meter
    another time i had a text telling me i need an appointment for a meter safety check!
    Really good luck on that one too
    Not heard anything since and if Eon play the we will change your tarif stunt i will switch suppiers simples
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback