PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cats pee!!

Having been served a Sec. 21 as LL has sold the property, I'm getting pretty desperate.
Saw a 'perfect' (price, location, size) maisonette, but- and i was warned by the agent before i stepped inside- the previous tenant had a cat and there was a smell.
She wasn't wrong :eek: it stunk of cat pee.
Apparently, the LL is getting the carpets cleaned before anyone moves in. Its been on the market for 2 months now, so I'm wondering why he hasn't done it already. Should i avoid?
Also, does cat pee come out with a steam clean? its purpose built with concrete floors.
Thanks for any advice (although i think you're going to say steer clear):o
The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(

Comments

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would personally give this one a wide berth.

If the agent has identified the reason its not letting and the LL hasn't recarpeted ,the smell wont disappear on its own.

If they know whats causing the smell and in honesty its quite easily remedied then why did they not invest a little in changing the flooring rather than sitting on a 2 month void.

My guess would be your potential LL would rather wait for someone to accept the smell rather than clear it!

You could contact the agent and suggest that you will view the property again once the carpets are changed with a view to renting,but make sure they are changed before you commit rather than it being on a promise
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    If it's soaked through to the underlay then cleaning the carpets won't be enough, they'll need replacing. You can buy special cat pee cleaning products that break down the enzymes but you'd need bucket loads of it to get the smell out of all the carpets, if they've all been peed on.
    If the flats been vacant for two months and the landlord hasn't sorted it out yet I'd run a mile.
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Landlord clearly wants a tenant to put up with it, I ripped out carpets on a property last year just to emphasise they were definitely going to be replaced ASAP while doing viewings.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • I'm not sure about cat wee but we moved into a house at Easter we bought that had a similar problem with dog wee. It was an expense we could Ill afford but the carpets and underlay were saturated. The house had been empty for a year and it was still soaked. We had to remove them, and we had paper suits and masks and I was having outside, the smell was awful. Our concrete floors had also been saturated and thank god we had a week to sort it out. Dettol, bleach, every cleaning fluid known to man, shed lots of hot water and windows, doors, everything open before we had our temporary flooring put down.

The dogs had also weed up the walls on the wallpaper so we had to strip that off, clean and painted everything white - all this was done to just get rid of the smell alone. Thank god we were able to air the house as I think this helped a lot as it had been shut up for over a year too.

Cleaning won't do it alone and if the cats have weed on flooring look for signs of similar up walls etc.

Cleaning just won't cut it. When we viewed it initially we were like oh it's not too bad, 3 months later we get the keys and it was "what were we thinking?"
  • mangog
    mangog Posts: 145 Forumite
    Yeah, from experience if the pee wasn't immediately cleaned up or has soaked through to the underlay it's not going to come out with cleaning. You'll be smelling cat pee forevermore. Those enzyme sprays work a treat if you use them immediately (and generously) but if the pee has been there more than a few days the smell is going nowhere! Unless the LL is willing to replace the carpets I'd avoid it at all costs.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    If it was a male cat then you've possibly got spraying ( scent marking) to deal with as well. Personally I'd avoid it .
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just to add - a few years ago, I naively tried to steam clean a carpet impregnated with dried-up pet pee.

I think the steam and hot water must have re-hydrated the dried pee. The carpet stank a lot worse afterwards. I had to throw it out.
  • Years ago I had a cat that, in her last days, peed the most foul-smelling bright-yellow effluvient you can possibly imagine onto the carpet. Even getting to it immediately with the fanciest enzyme product I could find didn't ameliorate the smell much.

It was a happy day when that carpet was ripped up and sent to the tip. Although my car stank mightily for a few days afterwards!

tl;dr - cat pee is just the worst.
  • Also, don't rent that flat, OP. You'll regret it.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    If you're interested otherwise then tell them this, and say you'd love to see it after the carpet is done.

... However, just bear in mind that new carpet smells, esp underlay ... So this could possibly mask the cat pee for a couple of weeks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure