PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor dragging their feet!

Hi All
I am Buying a housetop let out and am getting sick of the vendors dragging their feet with everything they do. My solicitors are very quick and sent off Additional enquiries on the 4th December. As of Xmas close down they still had not received them back and their solicitors said they are still waiting for them to respond. I called the EA and they started to chase also.

Sols reopened 2nd Jan and I called to say that if they are not back with their enquiries by Friday I would pull out. They have now come back yesterday but according to my sol they are very sloppy replies and we need clarification on 4 issues, so the whole process starts again and I am sure they will continue to drag their feet. As a premptive measure I called the EA to advise them to hurry up with these other queries as I'm keen to exchange and complete as I have builder standing by to start work. They advised me that the vendors would like to ask "for a bit of time" between exchange and completion to move on, I think they are moving in with family.

My main question is if we exchange and set a completion date for lets say 1 week later what will happen if they say they still need more time, have I lost my bargaining power in the fact that I can't pull out of the sale then or at least threaten to or is the completion date set in stone when you exchange.

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    or is the completion date set in stone when you exchange.

Correct.

If you exchange and then your vendors fail to complete on the specified date then they are liable for all costs you incur - hotels, food, storage, etc.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    When you exchange you set a completion date which is mutually agreed. Failing to complete is an expensive business and for that reason rare.
  • Thanks for the replies, at least thats one thing. I have a feeling when we try to agree a completion date i will be asking for 1 week and they will want 4 weeks... or longer.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    If I was selling to you I would pull out on principal, Its harder to plan moving out, and especially over Christmas, when solicitors are closed etc 4 weeks is no time at all in buying/selling a house and you putting pressure on them wont speed anything up
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 January 2018 at 6:47PM
    @glentoran99

Where did you get the idea that the purchase has only been going on for 4 weeks?
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 4 January 2018 at 6:57PM
    Slithery wrote: »
    @glentoran99

Where did you get the idea that the purchase has only been going on for 4 weeks?

I didn't say the whole purchase had been going on 4 weeks, just that 4 weeks is no time at all especially over Christmas, but the OP only had mortgage approved on 20/11 so its not that much further on to be getting pre contract enquires back
  • Thanks for the replies, at least thats one thing. I have a feeling when we try to agree a completion date i will be asking for 1 week and they will want 4 weeks... or longer.

Might be advisable to make it known NOW that your requirement is that completion will be one week after exchange. Only discussion then should be what is an acceptable exchange date for both parties
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why is it so important that there should be exactly one week between exchange and completion? Chains often collapse if one side or the other sets deadlines or is inflexible.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    martindow wrote: »
    Why is it so important that there should be exactly one week between exchange and completion? Chains often collapse if one side or the other sets deadlines or is inflexible.

The OP has a builder standing by.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    If I was selling to you I would pull out on principal, Its harder to plan moving out, and especially over Christmas, when solicitors are closed etc 4 weeks is no time at all in buying/selling a house and you putting pressure on them wont speed anything up

If I'd had other offers or wasn't in a rush to sell I'd probably do the same. There'd certainly be zero goodwill left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure