cheapest way to get married abroad

Comments

• cathys1 wrote: »
    9 years and 6 days ago! Dh and I married in New York on the 102nd floor of the empire state building. We had us, and 4 others with us, they gave us a bottle of bubbly to celebrate, and lots of ESB certificates and stuff, and a free entry next time we go back!
    I know it's a long time ago, but we spent 7 nights in new york, 10 in Florida for our honeymoon, paid the ESB and a judge, and I think all of that cost less than £3k.
    We had one of the people with us take photos in central park, and @ ESB.

It was a fantastic day - people clapping and cheering that you've never met - (and never will again!) yellow cabs hooting when they see you all dressed up. I can honestly say, that all made the day extra special for us.

Hi, I was wondering if you could give us some more info on how you planned everything!
    My brain totally freaks out on which certificates you need and how to even start contacting a judge/civil registrar...
    Also excluding the flights, how much did you pay and what did you get for it?

Thanks for your help!
    Kind Regards,
    Vicky and Conrad
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Vicky...the poster you are quoting and asking advice from made her post in May 2007...and has not contributed to MSE since january this year so its very unlikely that she pops into the wedding forum still...Hope someone else may be able to advise you what documentation you need or you could always pop along to a travel agent who may be able to help...
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • neenaww
    neenaww Posts: 475 Forumite
    Most travel agents have dedicated wedding teams and can work to most budgets. Even if you dont book with them it's a good place to start for ideas of when and or where to go plus they will tell you everything you need to know re paperwork, translations if required, how long you have to be in the country etc. Then if you like you can look into booking direct with hotels etc. Personally I'd stick with the package for piece of mind for such a special day!
    HTH and good luck! X
    [STRIKE]
    getting married to my best friend very soon!
    [/STRIKE]
    I am a married woman :j
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    spam reported
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Hi there,

Me and my fiancee and looking at getting married in Rhodes in 2013. Does anyone have any tips about getting married abroad, we are pretty certain we will go with Thomas Cook as we have friends in the company.
  • fawny
    fawny Posts: 953 Forumite
    Hi Tris85,

I'm getting married at St Pauls Bay in Lindos next Sept :jall booked through a wedding planner in Lindos. Where is Rhodes are you thinking of? Have you been before? Remember it's very hot out there so you won't need a traditional wedding dress but a destination one or a lovely summer dress from the high street shops would be great too. If you want to ask anything i'll try & answer your questions.
    Married the man of my dreams - 10th September 2012, St Paul's Bay Lindos :jIt was amazing.
    :love:
  • tt4
    tt4 Posts: 1 Newbie
    hi im thinking of re new our vows with my 3 kids abroad but dont no where need some where cheap can you help
  • Wedding fees and licence, flights, colonial house for ceremony, outdoor marque reception, 3 course meal for 20 guests, drinks inc alcohol, wedding cake, luxury cars and a weeks honeymoon all for under £6 grand.

ps - honeymoon is in an all inclusive hotel.

Big Smiley Face

guests have to pay for their own travel and accommodation but we got a great package deal.

:T:j:beer:
  • Hi my fiancee and I are hoping to get married abroad but we dont know where to start.
    We want to get married some where warm within a 3-5 hour flight of the uk due to illness in the family.
    Can someone point us in the right direction and nice places to tie the knot.
    Thanks all
  • k88aab
    k88aab Posts: 11 Forumite
    DJones wrote: »
    Hi my fiancee and I are hoping to get married abroad but we dont know where to start.
    We want to get married some where warm within a 3-5 hour flight of the uk due to illness in the family.
    Can someone point us in the right direction and nice places to tie the knot.
    Thanks all

Hi DJones, me and my oh booked our wedding last year for October 2013, and knew we wanted to go abroad but had no idea where we wanted to go. We went and got lots of brochures and had a look through them and on the internet, trip advisor was quite helpful. We decided on Cyprus in October so it would be cooler as we have a little girl to consider and it just seemed the best all rounder for what we wanted, not too far to travel for family and friends, no need to have documents translated either. When I went to one travel agent she said the laws had just changed for marrying in Greece and it sounds like there would be hidden costs etc so that put us off! We've booked through a travel agent and have a wedding co-ordinator in Cyprus to help us - included in the wedding package fee. Each country has different requirements i.e how many days you have to be in the country before they will marry you for visa requirements, whether you need a stat dec to declare you are free to marry to be done by a solicitor in this country, so that's an added expense - we do need these doing and haven't got any quotes yet, but have spoken to people that have had them done and depending where you go cost between £50 - £120 - just have to shop around, translation of documents if required. When I was looking into different countries some countries required the bride and groom to have a medical and blood tests before the wedding - not sure exactly what for. There are quite a lot of things to consider - hope this helps a little!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure