PayPal chargeback problem

Options
2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A small claims action (against the scammer) might be more productive - especially if you are reasonably certain that it is a scam.

The only risk would be throwing good money after bad.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    WillyWonga wrote: »
    Sellers beware. Even sending recorded delivery is not good enough to stop chargeback as will only recognise guaranteed delivery service. Unfortunately some people know these flaws and will exploit sellers if digital transactions done online as they know PayPal will find in their favour.

That is not correct, for items under £750 sellers only have to show online tracking or proof of delivery to the address given in PayPal. There has never been a requirement to use only special delivery, even the new included delivery confirmation on standard parcels is sufficient to defend an INR if it shows delivery.
    Marksfish wrote: »
    I don't sell and accept Paypal now. A few years ago I sold an item (not expensive, about £20), sent by a "tracked" service as per the requirements. Sent to the confirmed address, so all eligible for seller protection. Signature from the person named on the account, all hunky dory. 10 weeks later I received a chargeback stating unauthorised funds, this is despite the eBay account being the same as the PP account and the named person signing for the item. Seller protection went out the window and I got charged £10 for them processing the chargeback!!!

A fraudulent use of card claim is easily defended with proof of posting.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Marksfish
    Marksfish Posts: 268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    A fraudulent use of card claim is easily defended with proof of posting.

Not in my case. Full online tracking from drop off to doorstep delivery. Still resulted in their claim being successful, and I didn't get my item back either!!
  • soolin
    Options
    Not in my case. Full online tracking from drop off to doorstep delivery. Still resulted in their claim being successful, and I didn't get my item back either!!

That's why the difference between claims is important, an upload of proof of posting NOT proof of delivery would have won the case. PayPal rules are clear and it is nothing to do with luck or not, if you comply with the requirements of seller protection (which includes posting within 7 days to the address given by PayPal etc) then you invoke seller protection , point them at their rules, prove item was sent as per requirements and wait 21 days to get the case found in your favour. I've never lost one yet. Strangely enough PayPal do not consider that proof of delivery meets the requirement to show proof of postage which is why it is important to know what you need to defend a claim.

It's all covered here in this sticky thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3146680
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Marksfish
    Marksfish Posts: 268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Full tracking, from drop off at the shop to doorstep delivery, how is that not compliant? That is your proof of posting and delivery. Couldn't give them any more.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    phone them
  • soolin
    Options
    phone them

After several years I doubt they would consider an appeal.
  • glentoran99
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    After several years I doubt they would consider an appeal.

Years? Think ive missed that somewhere
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Years? Think ive missed that somewhere
    I don't sell and accept Paypal now. A few years ago I sold an item ....................
    ........................................;)
  • glentoran99
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    ........................................;)

so not the OP then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport