PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting rid of tenancy

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    xyz111 wrote: »
    my relative is a student and will not be able to keep up with payments! they are struggling..!!
    so what? There is a contract in place requiring your relative to pay rent, if they fail to pay they may be taken to court which can have a huge impact on their ability to rent a place again in the next 5-6 years if they end up with a CCJ on their record

answer the questions...
  • xyz111
    xyz111 Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i have a conversation record with agent who sold us the property and they had agreed that i could move out with one month notice..
  • xyz111
    the broadband is useless, the standard of cleanliness are not like when they were sold to us, occupants play loud music and smoke...
  • 00ec25
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 October 2017 at 1:29PM
    as you appear to be ignoring the questions we ask you ....
    i have a conversation record with agent who sold us the property and they had agreed that i could move out with one month notice..
    what record? in writing?

who is "us"

why do you have anything to do with paying ?
    the broadband is useless, the standard of cleanliness are not like when they were sold to us, occupants play loud music and smoke...
    so YOU failed to establish of the property was suitable for your needs or that the other occupants would suit you, that is not the LL's fault.
  • xyz111
    the property is unsuitable and was over sold to us.. it was supposed to have everything described above (i can take back loud music but the rest should have been there as advertised)...
  • Lingua
    Lingua Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    If the property has been mis-advertised, ring the Citizens' Advice Bureau for advice. It may be possible to lodge a complaint against the estate agents / landlord.

However, you signed a contract despite presumably having viewed the property, so you were aware of its condition at the point of signing. Other tenants smoking and/or playing loud music are not enjoyable I'm sure - have you made a complaint about these issues to the landlord? If there is a clause in the tenancy expressly forbidding smoking then he will be able to respond to that issue. Hopefully the tenancy also contains a clause which mentions being courteous to other tenants (i.e., not playing loud music incessantly).

As for breaking the contract: if you have signed a contract which states you must find an alternative tenant, then I would think that is what you must do. I'm not sure of UK law about when you can break a contract (aside from where if the contract is illegal, and therefore has no legal basis). You should have read the contract before signing.

Lingua
    Long-Term Goal: £23'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
  • xyz111
    i had not viewed the property.
  • 00ec25
    Combo Breaker First Post
    so, as you ignore our questions

YOU have no claim as you signed without viewing it

your "relative" has no claim as he did not view before you signed on his behalf

there, does that make you feel better?
  • Tyler_Du
    Tyler_Du Posts: 712 Forumite

Opens popcorn...
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    In all honesty it sounds par for the course for a student house.

You mention cleanliness. Do you mean before he moved in or ongoing cleanliness?

My daughter lived in a student house with one other girl and 3 lads. Smoking of one kind or another and noise were a part of sharing with other students. Ear plugs are useful.

Is your relative dropping out of uni?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport