Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Options

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Woz28

It seems Monarch did more than they had to, you had no right to a refund so I do not see your card issuer going above and beyond any legal entitlement, so I suspect the answer is no.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Flights booked to return on or before 15th October will operate, at or around the same time and the CAA will not know or be concerned when you travelled, so I expect return flights booked to operate before 15th should be fine. the new flight times are on the specific Monarch/CAA website but are only being updated slowly on a day to say basis, so nothing for the 15th is available yet.

Do not rebook if your planned return is 15th or sooner as the CAA advice is clear, they will arrange flights at no additional cost
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please could someone help?

We have Monach flights booked, but paid in December last year so should be covered- and they were cheap at the time.

The B&B booked in Venice for 4 nights (2 couples) is $90 per night per room. On their email it states they will take 100% of the cost if cancelled after 01/10/17!

Other flights (Jet2) are about £550 retrun per couple- which is too expensive for us.

How do we stand with the credit card payment for the accomodation, claiming it back, or going with section 75, if we have no flight......but could go at a much higher cost?

Thank you x
    :j
  • catwoman73
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you *Toozie*. We were due to fly with Monarch this week and I booked alternate flights at greater cost as soon as I heard the news this morning (nearly everything within 100 miles of us is now sold out).

Scheduled airline failure is covered under our travel insurance (check your policy, you might be too, although not all policies cover this). I'm going to argue that our losses are the cost of the new, more expensive flights, not the old cheaper ones when I claim and that's hopefully what we'll get back, but it's not the end of the world to us if we only get back the price of the cancelled Monarch flights (difference about £200).
  • danielson81
    Options
    Hi,

I fly out in just under 2 weeks via a package with LastMinute.com

Should I wait for Lastminute to issue/action/process the ATOL refund, or just do a Section 75 on my credit card now?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 October 2017 at 10:51AM
    Options
    there is some very confusing information here.

Real scenario - I have Jet2 out to Spain 3rd Oct and Monarch back on 11th Oct.

Mentions on this thread infers that You can leave the UK in the next few days and as long as your return flight is before the 15th Oct the CAA will get you home

UPDATED WITH FACTS - CAA will NOT get you home if you are currently still in the UK planning to fly out on any airline in the next few days.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    catwoman73 wrote: »
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you *Toozie*. We were due to fly with Monarch this week and I booked alternate flights at greater cost as soon as I heard the news this morning (nearly everything within 100 miles of us is now sold out).

Scheduled airline failure is covered under our travel insurance (check your policy, you might be too, although not all policies cover this). I'm going to argue that our losses are the cost of the new, more expensive flights, not the old cheaper ones when I claim and that's hopefully what we'll get back, but it's not the end of the world to us if we only get back the price of the cancelled Monarch flights (difference about £200).

Okay thanks for the swift reply. We could book alternative flights at the extra costs- I'll have to talk to the couple going with us. If we were to cancel is there anyway of claiming back the cost of the accommodation- I'm going to read T&C on annual ins now, if another flight is available? x
    :j
  • superbigal36
    Options
    Good news is plenty of pilots available for Ryanair
  • Reason123
    Reason123 Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive booked flights to direct with Monarch but luckily used a credit card so I now need Santander to give me my money back. I called them this morning and told me to send them an email with the details and I should get a reply with 8 weeks!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    Flights booked to return on or before 15th October will operate, at or around the same time and the CAA will not know or be concerned when you travelled, so I expect return flights booked to operate before 15th should be fine. the new flight times are on the specific Monarch/CAA website but are only being updated slowly on a day to say basis, so nothing for the 15th is available yet.

Do not rebook if your planned return is 15th or sooner as the CAA advice is clear, they will arrange flights at no additional cost

That CAA advice is not as clear as you think it is.

If you are abroad at this very moment in time, no matter who you travelled with and you have return flights with Monarch and you are due home before the 15th they will get you home.

If you are in the UK right here and now and planning to depart the UK in the next few days and return on a monarch flight before the 15th October - They will NOT get you home
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure