MMD: Would you tell a charity shop that a Chloe bag was under-priced?

Comments

• jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    I would tell them
    not that i would ever want to own one in a million years anyway
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    HELLO!!!! I would snap that bargain up immediately. No point telling them as the staff would just take it for a fiver instead. I give loads of good quality clothes (some designer) to a charity shop in Balham and I do wonder if they take all the best bits.
  • Sheepster
    Sheepster Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'd deffo snap it up.....well - as far as a guy would buy a bag, perhaps something different.

I've raised literally thousands for charities when I was in Rotaract, and it might not be pc - but what I saw of some so called charities!
    They are big business, and never mind these ladies giving up their spare time in the shops bless them - think what the manager of the local charities gets in wages, and yes I know about the arguement that they need a good salary to retain good management at the top - I mean even local small managers.

Then after a local charity shop manager wrote to my local paper, complaining bitterly that people were donating things of too low quality....well really.

Big charities, before thinking they're all caring sharing things...yes, I know it's the Mail, I know it's Littlejohn - but perhaps check out this story
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1036098/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-Who-says-charity-begins-home.html
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I would buy it!
  • Segilla
    Segilla Posts: 12 Forumite
    Is the bag genuine, or a copy?
    For an underpriced item I *really* wanted, I'd buy at price label and make a generous donation, not in the shop, but by Gift Aid.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And should I have told them - well it was Oxfam - and they should have known better really - I mean Prada - who hasn't heard of them?????

Maybe it's a fake Prada, and they know their stuff better than you?:p

I have to say I'd take the bag, but only if I liked it and thought it was worth a fiver, not to sell it on via e-bay or whatever, that would be taking it a bit far...
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • raineshoe
    raineshoe Posts: 101 Forumite
    I wouldn't tell them either.

People who work in charity shops these days all watch the same programmes we do ie Flog it and follow e-bay like the rest of us so are just as clued up if they want to be bothered.

Not only that as someone else said the wages for some of these charity staff are extortionate and not all the money goes to the charity, a lot of it goes on admin fees etc.

They have to take the rough with the smooth.;)
    If you're not behind our soldiers.....please feel free to stand in front of them!
  • This happened to me a while ago with a Radley handbag - pristine and hidden amongst a load of other rubbish - 2.50.

I'm not going to leave it there am I?! But the guilty part of me topped up the price a little by putting in the donations pot.

There is so much bizarre pricing in charity shops anyway - you win some, you lose some.
  • Pipcola
    Pipcola Posts: 53 Forumite
    Sheepster wrote: »
    I've raised literally thousands for charities when I was in Rotaract, and it might not be pc - but what I saw of some so called charities!
    They are big business, and never mind these ladies giving up their spare time in the shops bless them - think what the manager of the local charities gets in wages, and yes I know about the arguement that they need a good salary to retain good management at the top - I mean even local small managers.

I have also worked for charities - basically paid expenses just! - the amount of valuable items that make it to the shop are minimal.

As Sheepster seemed to infer and I would agree many charities are far from charitable!

If the "Cloe" bag was for sale by RSPCA or Oxfam I would buy it at the marked price then donate it to local hospice shop with information as to value.
  • Grab and run.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport