IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ParkingEye Leicester St Georges Way - Puregym

Hello,

I received a NTK in the correct timeframe from ParkingEye. The appeal i subsequently made was rejected, but they only sent me an e-mail on the 24th April 2019, there was no letter. I have read the Newbies thread but have no idea what to do at this point? It's day 26 and there is no further letters that have come through, only the e-mail. Do I now make an appeal to POPLA? What do I say?

Thank you

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,586 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Did ParkingEye's appeal rejection letter contain a PoPLA verification code?

You tell us you have read the NEWBIES thread.
    You need to look again at the NEWBIES thread - re-reading post #3 which will guide you towards creating a winning PoPLA appeal.
  • Assuming you were a Puregym member on the day have you politely requested the manager to cancel the PCN.

If they employed the scammers they will be able to cancel with just one email.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The appeal i subsequently made was rejected, but they only sent me an e-mail on the 24th April 2019, there was no letter.
    If that had the POPLA code then that WAS the rejection letter sent by email.

No idea what else you were sitting waiting for. Have you spent the time wisely, complaining to the Gym Manager yet? That is always PLAN A.

Luckily, POPLA codes last for a few days past the 28 that POPLA pretend is the absolute limit, so you have until Sunday to get the POPLA appeal in, which gives you THREE WHOLE DAYS TO PRIORITISE THIS FIRST (which cannot be done once POPLA is started):
    Assuming you were a Puregym member on the day have you politely requested the manager to cancel the PCN.

If they employed the scammers they will be able to cancel with just one email.
    Tell us tomorrow how that URGENT (this week!!) complaint goes about this harassment.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 May 2019 at 6:24AM
    Doubt they own the car park or employ the PPC from this

https://www.puregym.com/gyms/leicester-st-georges-way/

ETA.

In response to one of the reviews they state they don't own and have no control over the car park. I know, I know (!) but does seem likely if they are only allocated 50 places.

They also say this in general....

https://www.puregym.com/help-centre/all-about-our-gyms/can-i-park-for-free/
  • MistyZ
    MistyZ Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 May 2019 at 7:30AM
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Doubt they own the car park or employ the PPC from this

https://www.puregym.com/gyms/leicester-st-georges-way/

ETA.

In response to one of the reviews they state they don't own and have no control over the car park. I know, I know (!) but does seem likely if they are only allocated 50 places.

They also say this in general....

https://www.puregym.com/help-centre/all-about-our-gyms/can-i-park-for-free/

While the gym itself may not employ the parking company, there must be an overall landowner or land management company who does and they will be the people to complain to.

It's no different from getting a PCN while visiting a store which shares a car park with other stores. Apart from this lousy system of having to input your registration at each visit. Was it that that failed to work?

You should be able to find out who owns or manages the car park online. Though the hotel manager WILL know so you could ask him.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 May 2019 at 7:42AM
    MistyZ wrote: »
    While the gym itself may not employ the parking company, there must be an overall landowner or land management company who does and they will be the people to complain to.

It's no different from getting a PCN while visiting a store which shares a car park with other stores. Apart from this lousy system of having to input your registration at each visit. Was it that that failed to work?

You should be able to find out who owns or manages the car park online. Though the hotel manager WILL know so you could ask him.

Oh, I quite agree.

I was just responding to some of the comments about getting the gym to cancel. As I've said before, in my experience, gyms (in particular, city centre ones and those based on shopping centres) are not that likely to own the car park. It's probably the bigger out of town leisure centres that do.

Great suggestion about the hotel manager!
  • MistyZ
    MistyZ Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Great suggestion about the hotel manager!

In fact I meant to say 'gym manager'! But yes, hotel manager is a good bet too!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Gym and ParkingEye don't compute (too much like small beer for PE). I think this is a multi-retailer generic site and finding out who the landowner (or Managing Agent) is important.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    IMO, PE signs leave much to be desired. I doubt that many judges would agree that they are capable of forming a contract, read this

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5972164

and enlist the support of your MP as they are obviously trying to scam you.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure