Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 19th May 19, 5:30 PM
    • 2,636Posts
    • 37,320Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 20th May 2019
    • 19th May 19, 5:30 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 20th May 2019 19th May 19 at 5:30 PM
    Welcome to the Weekly Flylady Thread

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    WUDUPA ~ Washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ Washed up and left to dry
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

OK - here goes this week...
    Manic Monday ~ Kitchen, Utility and Dining Mess
    Level One

Sweep and mop floors
    Catch up with any washing up
    Declutter and wipe worksurfaces
    Level Two
    Wipe ALL large appliances and units and kickboards
    Wipe and replace all small appliances
    Wipe over sides and lid of kitchen bin, if necessary clean inside too
    Level Three
    Wash windows.. and dust blinds/wash curtains
    Clear and wipe out the oven and hob
    Wipe table and replace cloth if necessary
    When was the last time you completely cleaned your fridge and make it all nice smelling? Get rid of out of date/dead stuff, what can be made into a soup or something?

Extras
    • Clean/Tidy under the kitchen sink, throw away anything that looks past its usefullness
    • Wipe down paintwork/sideboards/units in dining room
    • Clean filters and detergent dispensers
    • Clean out pongy pets
    • Clean the toaster Ė get rid of crumbs in the little tray, wipe with a damp cloth to get rid of Markís, smudges and smears
    • Clean out food cupboards, remove all items and throw out any use by dates that are out of date.
    • HHI

Mad Tuesday - Living room, Hallway, Stairs
    Level One

Remove clutter from floors, chairs and fireplace
    Open the windows and let in some fresh air
    Level Two
    Vacuum floors and sofas
    Wipe and water neglected plants
    Dust those flat fluffy surfaces
    Level Three
    Vacuum under the furniture you can move
    Clean windows, pictures, mirrors etc.
    Sort out the shoes and boots and fling the dead ones and the out grown ones
    Vacuum hall, landing and stairs.. all the way up to the top!!!!!

Extras
    • Wipe woodwork in the hall and stairs & wipe front door.. inside and out!
    • Wash any nets/curtains that need cleaning.. put up fresh ones!
    • Wash those winter coats and put them away/fling the manky old ones.. including the one you have worn for about 10 years!! It is dead.. get rid!
    • 15 minutes filing

Study or other reception room & bathrooms - Wednesday
    Level One
    Clear the clutter from all these rooms!!
    Ring someone you love just to tell them so.. we never do this enough!
    Wash any curtains/blinds/mats etc that need doing
    Level Two
    Vacuum the floors
    Clean bath, toilets, shower and sinks
    Wipe down the tiles and defragment the pc while doing this.
    Level Three
    Declutter and dust the pc desk
    Wipe away cup rings and sticky things
    wipe the keyboard, mouse, cables and sockets and suchlike.
    Clean the windows.

Extras
    • HHI..
    • Clear a hotspot
    • Degunge around the bottoms of the taps!
    • Wipe cupboards and polish mirrors!

Master bedroom & landing -Thursday
    Level 1

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen and duvet covers.
    Fling open the window and let in the spring!
    Level 2
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum & turn mattress before replacing with fresh linen..
    Clean lightshade. And remove dead insects
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level 3
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort 10 things from your wardrobe (or someone elses) that you can get rid of.. you WILL have nothing left lol!!
    Clear a hotspot.. or spend 15 minutes clearing one.

Extras
    • 37 fling boogie time, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Clear a box of clutter from the landing
    • Make any necessary phone calls

Childrens/Spare rooms - Friday
    Level One

Clear the floor
    Spend at least half an hour doing something just for yourself.. a nice bath, a manicure.. just your time! Make that appointment to have your hair done!!
    Level Two
    Strip the beds and wash those sheets.. and any duvets that need doing
    Drag the stuff from under the beds and place it in it's proper homes!
    Level Three
    Vacuum the floor
    deweb and fluff the room
    clean the windows

Extras
    • Wash any curtains/throws/cushions etc that need it
    • Wipe sticky marks from walls and doors
    • Clean any tv's, pc's playstations in the room
    • 15 minutes filing!
    Last edited by Natty68; 23-05-2019 at 9:18 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 2
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 20th May 19, 1:11 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 13,509 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    below are my updates since I posted this morning. I am sooooo tired I could just have a snooze now....

Still to do:
    Hang wet washing up
    Put all dry washing away where it lives (including stuff that hasn't been put away from being away)
    there is still a little bit left on the line drying. When it's dry I must put it away straight away.
    Empty dw when it pings
    Make tea.
    Tidy round every room in the house. feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here.
    Some gardening.
    Something fun with Pickle. hubby taken him to the park.

Extras done
    Sorted through Pickle's wardrobe again
    Charity shop bag in boot
    Bag of stuff for friend sorted
    Item listed for sale on fb
    Arranged for someone to come and purchase said item tomorrow (had 5 enquiries, should have listed it for more money)
    I've accepted a day's supply for Wednesday (think of the money, think of the money.....)
    Sorted through the kitchen food cupboards and the cup/coffee cupboard, only a coupe of bits flung, but better than nothing.

Next job: swallow a frog.

Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: £27,000
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #28: £800.something/ £2860
    • Goodintentions
    • By Goodintentions 20th May 19, 2:18 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 17,452 Thanks
    Goodintentions
    Good afternoon

I am sitting having a cuppa & catching up on Gardeners World after a busy morning.
    I have been to town to return a couple of things ordered that didn't fit. Also picked up a few bits in town & Mr S - branded stuff we can't get in Mr A's. The new fridge is switched on. DH has taken DS to buy his fish tank as long as its ok as it would appear its the display one. Otherwise he will have to wait until next week. I spent quite a bit of time over the weekend moving furniture, sorting toys and craft stuff and cleaning in readiness.

I have also swept & mopped the hallway, swept & mopped the DR, swept & mopped half of the kitchen (I will do the rest when we move the temporary fridges & freezer as there is no space at the moment), wiped down the front of the cabinets & kickboards and cleared some stuff off the work surfaces (they were not even visible first thing!). Oh, and I have washed the door mats

I am going to pop to the lottie for a little while, as I can't get down at all next weekend as we are away - I need to keep on top of the weeding!

Well done Nicki - you have been busy! Don't over do it!!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 20th May 19, 2:44 PM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 62,177 Thanks
    Jazee
    Good luck with the op natty.

Lots done today:

Wultd
    Refilled soap dispensers
    Washing done
    Caught up with friends
    Bedding changed
    Lr dusted
    Quick hoover through
    Dogs walked
    Phone calls done

Going to rest now for a while before going out tonight.

I intend to do some of the kitchen jobs tomorrow.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 Oct £55.62 Total 2019 - £4283.17/£5k
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 20th May 19, 2:51 PM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 4,886 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Minimal stuff getting done tonight as I feel mega poorly...

Quick wipe down of the kitchen and bathroom
    Sort out shoes and bags under the stairs

All washing and ironing is up to date thankfully.

So those quick jobs, a bath, and some tea and biscuits for me tonight x
    Debt Target #08 - £125/£489.06 (25.5%)
    Debts busted: 7/10
    NSD Target: 4/15
    Annual Car Costs Fund: £218
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 20th May 19, 3:37 PM
    • 2,636 Posts
    • 37,320 Thanks
    Natty68
    Doh got it wrong my op isn't until next Friday. I dont know why I keep getting my days muddled up at the moment.. So no I have no excuse for not flying until next week...lol

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 20th May 19, 5:13 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 13,509 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    It's amazing what a bit of sunshine can do for your mood. I feel like I'm on a roll now, it's just a shame I've got 3 full days of work stuff to do now. Boooo

Still to do:
    Hang wet washing up
    Put all dry washing away where it lives (including stuff that hasn't been put away from being away)
    I'm so pleased. For a few hours today - washin basket empty, everything dry, everything put away - awesome feeling.
    Empty dw when it pings
    Make tea.
    Tidy round every room in the house. feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here.
    Some gardening.
    Something fun with Pickle. hubby taken him to the park.

Extras done
    Sorted through Pickle's wardrobe again
    Charity shop bag in boot
    Bag of stuff for friend sorted
    Item listed for sale on fb
    Arranged for someone to come and purchase said item tomorrow (had 5 enquiries, should have listed it for more money)
    I've accepted a day's supply for Wednesday (think of the money, think of the money.....)
    Sorted through the kitchen food cupboards and the cup/coffee cupboard, only a coupe of bits flung, but better than nothing.

Next job: swallow a frog.

This evening
    Shredding
    Proof read hubby's tender.
    Take stuff up into office/loft.
    Wish.[/QUOTE]
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 20th May 19, 5:45 PM
    • 10,990 Posts
    • 130,736 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Sorry for being late.

Thank you for all the lists

No weight loss this week, but I am home alone for a week, so I have no need to do mad amounts of cooking.!!

WM done
    Drying got in and folded
    Hooveirng of downstairs done
    Toilets bleached
    Been to see one of my step sons, so that was a long drive....................
    Sun, Sea

• nicki
    • By nicki 20th May 19, 6:22 PM
    • 7,294 Posts
    • 88,420 Thanks
    nicki
    GoodIntentions - don't worry I won't. My kitchen is only 3m x 3m wall to wall so it doesn't take much lol

Since my last post I've groomed the dog, had lunch, made phone calls, sorted something online instead of having to make a phone call vacuumed right through downstairs, stitched a sofa cushion which had come apart at the seams, and put some washing on. DS is home from his exam and has helped me do a few jobs. I've also cleared up the chaos of my material piles for projects. WM is on a hot empty wash to clean it out after washing floor mats. Tea is also on, so I can take the rest of the night off basically. DS can wash up

Manic Monday ~ Kitchen
    Level One

Mop floors
    Extras
    • Clean filters and detergent dispensers - need to finish the laundry first
    Right, since I've spent most of the day listening to an audiobook from the library while cleaning, I think I'm going to spend this evening relaxing watching something. Catch you all in the morning, when I'll grab tomorrows list
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 20th May 19, 8:01 PM
    • 10,990 Posts
    • 130,736 Thanks
    kazwookie
    About 2 hours of admin work done, it is suprising how much you can do when there is no one around to interupt you!!

Sun, Sea

• BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 20th May 19, 8:18 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 3,217 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Hello all, having come in from work just under an hour ago there has definitely been no flying or even fluttering done here. House still looks good as we have both been out all day. Will start lists in the morning as I am officially pooped!

Night all
    • MollyWindley
    • By MollyWindley 20th May 19, 9:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    MollyWindley
    hi, just. found you all my oldest son has just bought a laptop for us all to use and I am trying it out after joining up to Money saving expert...please forgive typing mistakes as I'm new to this! it's a bit late for me to do the Monday list but I will start by unloading the dishwasher and wiping down work surfaces, nice to be here
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 20th May 19, 10:04 PM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 39,828 Thanks
    ionafan
    Welcome Molly

Hope all goes well with your op, Natty xx

I had a busy and productive day today:
    - WMx1
    - Cleaned kitchen thoroughly, including doing windows, wiping out fridge and a cupboard
    - Cleaned DR window
    - cleaned nearly-empty fridge in utility
    - DH hoovered LR floor
    - sent e-card to friend in Germany
    - emailed DS2 and a couple of other people
    - called at the car dealership to get the cover put back over the pollen filter in my car. Apparently it should have had a couple of screws to keep it in place!
    - did food shopping for the week
    - couldn't find the "lost" file on my computer so set up a new one
    - re-heated soup for lunch
    - worked in garden for 2.5 hours: mowed and edged lawn, planted tomato plants in big pots, planted dahlias in flowerpots (for now), emptied bulbs out of small pots, swept back yard, moved things round in mini-greenhouse, watered plants - everything looks much better
    - took Rosie for her run in the woods
    - cooked veg curry for tea nom-nom
    - went to see 4 owls at the Old Wives' meeting and got to hold 3 of them

Tomorrow I must
    - email DS1
    - count and record Old Wives' subs
    - send Toddler Group reminder
    - start the GA claim
    - visit a nursing home
    - take stuff to the CS
    - phone a friend
    - do more work outside: attack dandelions along the drive, sort pots in the front garden

Hope I can keep up the momentum!

Hope everyone gets a good night's sleep - yes, it makes an enormous difference to productivity!
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 21st May 19, 4:22 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 3,217 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Morning all

Despite being shattered last night have had terrible nights sleep so gave up and got out of bed. DH has to go to work early this morning so will have chance to do a bit before I start paid stuff. Looking like a slightly easier day work wise and I am working from home so will hope to finish early.

WM x 1 going on in a moment, shall then think about what quiet little jobs I can do for an hour or so, probably start wiping down kitchen I think....

Have a good day all.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 21st May 19, 5:37 AM
    • 10,990 Posts
    • 130,736 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning

WM is on
    Cat is fed and now attacking the laces on my trainers!
    Ironing is at the ready
    Volunteering this morning
    All other stuff will have to wait until this afternoon
    Sun, Sea

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 21st May 19, 6:00 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 13,509 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Morning. Work for me today.

But: load wm - if full set swishing.
    Stuff up to office when starting work.
    Shredding (pile is nearly contained in the box rather than over the height of the edges)
    Full day of crazy work.

Hope everyone has sunshine to enjoy.
    • asparklyblonde
    • By asparklyblonde 21st May 19, 6:01 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,822 Thanks
    asparklyblonde
    Morning all,

DW unloaded, brekkie scoffed, kids dressed for school. Wall to wall sunshine forecast for today. I am at work but will nip to the shops after for a look round.

Turkey stir fry for tea.

Have lovely days all xx
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 21st May 19, 6:02 AM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 62,177 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Welcome Molly. Ionafan, your lost file made me laugh.

Having first cuppa then I want to sort out food cupboards as I've been itching to make a start on this since seeing it in the list yesterday.

Busy day and night planned here today including getting my hair fixed.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 Oct £55.62 Total 2019 - £4283.17/£5k
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 21st May 19, 6:27 AM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 13,780 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Good morning
    Manic day yesterday but we did have a lovely evening out with food, wine and music. Iíve paid for it now though with a rotten nightís sleep.
    Iím on the GCSE runs today as the buses donít run often, and also at work. Thank goodness for a flexible boss. I should finish about 3pm instead of lunchtime in return for the favour. As the LR still looks passable after the weekend, Iíll be back on the kitchen list. In theory. If the sunshine and garden donít distract me.

Hugs, Natty, and good luck for the op.
    Welcome Molly.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 21st May 19, 6:57 AM
    • 21,303 Posts
    • 240,781 Thanks
    Valli
    Morning all.

Back in bed after flinging another load in WM to make the most of cheap leccy.
    Bright and sunny here so can fill the lines!

Plan to tidy round, empty bins mainly, as I have some admin to do, both work and personal.
    Also need to post an eBay sale and revise a couple of listings.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 21st May 19, 8:18 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 4,954 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Morning all, sorry forgot to post yesterday but I did
    DW
    WM x 2
    Hoovered upstairs and down
    Cooked dinner
    Prepared tax return, requested 2 missing documents, 1 received this morning other will have to wait until Wednesday but might check again to see if it is necessary.

Not doing much flying as bathroom still being worked on and so there is loads of tile dust. I just try to keep on top of it and will have a good go at everywhere once it is done (I also can't stand the noise of cutting tiles etc)

Work this afternoon
    Yesterday's washing all ironed and put away
    WM on again
    DW on

Have a nice day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,477Posts Today

5,299Users online

Martin's Twitter