Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 36
    • webjaved
    • By webjaved 19th Feb 19, 8:38 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    webjaved
    In a word, 'yes'.

There are some regular savers that are on-offs, but with the 5% ones you mention you can open a new one as soon as the old one has matured (and the bank's system has updated itself).
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    That's awesome to know. I've just opened up a 5% current account with Nationwide.
    Save 12k in 2019 #154 - 12,696.98/12k
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 25th Apr 19, 8:38 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    I started off by paying-in 300 in to First Direct Regular saver. However, after 3 months (starting the 4th month) I started paying 25. Continuing that up to now (for 6 months I've paid 25 pounds each month). Now, I'd like to make up the shortfall (carry my allowance over and pay more in later months).

How do I go about this? I take it it cannot be done via a direct payment, as the pay-in is done via Standing Order (SO)?
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 25th Apr 19, 8:59 AM
    • 2,816 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    I started off by paying-in 300 in to First Direct Regular saver. However, after 3 months (starting the 4th month) I started paying 25. Continuing that up to now (for 6 months I've paid 25 pounds each month). Now, I'd like to make up the shortfall (carry my allowance over and pay more in later months).

How do I go about this? I take it it cannot be done via a direct payment, as the pay-in is done via Standing Order (SO)?
    Originally posted by OceanSound
    Read the T&C's about the maximum you can deposit each month and things will become clearer.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 25th Apr 19, 9:04 AM
    • 5,442 Posts
    • 7,470 Thanks
    ColdIron
    You can certainly do it and I would imagine you would just increase your standing order(s)
    • if you don't pay in the maximum allowed in any month, you can carry over any unused subscriptions and catch up in future months.
    They are really a telephone bank that pride themselves on customer service so I'd just give them a bell and make them earn that reputation
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 25th Apr 19, 10:15 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Read the T&C's about the maximum you can deposit each month and things will become clearer.
    Originally posted by veryintrigued
    There is no t&c for this account as such. Perhaps it will be more useful, if you check and post a link (that's if a link exist)
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 25th Apr 19, 10:24 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    IanManc
    There is no t&c for this account as such. Perhaps it will be more useful, if you check and post a link (that's if a link exist)
    https://www1.firstdirect.com/savings-and-investments/savings/regular-saver-account/#key-product-info
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 25th Apr 19, 10:30 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    You can certainly do it and I would imagine you would just increase your standing order(s)
    • if you don't pay in the maximum allowed in any month, you can carry over any unused subscriptions and catch up in future months.
    They are really a telephone bank that pride themselves on customer service so I'd just give them a bell and make them earn that reputation
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    Already seen the webpage you are going on about:
    https://www1.firstdirect.com/savings-and-investments/savings/regular-saver-account/
    This says we can 'catch-up'. I doubt we can 'catch-up' if we just pay the maximum in the future months. (it will need to be over and above the maximum)

I am aware of their prestigious telephone support line. I thought this forum could offer slightly more useful personal experiences. If not, there is nothing to be ashamed of to say 'we don't know'.
    Last edited by OceanSound; 25-04-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 25th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    I've already seen this. The heading says 'Summary and key product information'.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 25th Apr 19, 11:55 AM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 10,333 Thanks
    colsten
    Actually, there are T&Cs for the Regular Saver. They are just not easy to find (as you would expect from a top bank ). They are buried in this document. And they don't actually answer your Q, so it looks you might be best off by calling FD. Please do share what you conclude.
    • 20SmthngSver
    • By 20SmthngSver 25th Apr 19, 1:17 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    20SmthngSver

Just amend the standing order to the value of the difference that you could have but did not deposit. You don't need to cancel it or set up a new one. So in months 4,5 and 6, if you're doing 25 a month, that's 75. In month 7, you'd be allowed your 300 as usual, plus three months worth of 275 (so 825 plus 300, is 1125). You'd basically be allowed to top it up to what the max. balance could be by month 7 had you done 300 a month anyway. Obviously, be prepared your interest won't be 97 as you'd missed a few months of maximising. Just remember for month 8 to amend the value of the standing order back down to 300 AFTER your top up value standing order has been taken. Hope this makes sense.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 5th May 19, 6:05 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Just amend the standing order to the value of the difference that you could have but did not deposit...
    Originally posted by 20SmthngSver
    When I contacted First Direct support (via online banking message) CS agent told me the the same. Although, when I tried to amend, received the dreaded error:
    'Sorry, we can't amend this standing order online. Please contact us on 03 456 100 100 quoting ref H3L.'
    So, I replied to their message providing the error message above. CS were able to amend the next payment on SO to 1950, and they also confirmed the next two payments thereafter will be for 300.

BTW, has anyone amended their SO successful through Internet Banking?, I've always got the error above when I attempted it. Amending M&S Bank SO (for Monthly Saver) via internet banking on the other hand is a doddle.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 5th May 19, 10:04 AM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    soulsaver
    You cannot amend the SO for the FD RS online. It is set up manually by FD to recur at the monthiversary of (them) opening your account.

You can't alter the date, but you can alter the value by phone.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 5th May 19, 10:27 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    You cannot amend the SO for the FD RS online. It is set up manually by FD to recur at the monthiversary of (them) opening your account.

You can't alter the date, but you can alter the value by phone.
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    I was able to alter the value using Internet Banking secure messaging.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 5th May 19, 12:35 PM
    • 2,198 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    I was able to alter the value using Internet Banking secure messaging.
    That's not the same as amending the payment online yourself. You still had to ask FD to do it for you.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 5th May 19, 2:58 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    ....You can't alter the date, but you can alter the value by phone.
    That's not the same as amending the payment online yourself. You still had to ask FD to do it for you.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    FD probably disabled self amend feature due to flakyness..although no one here will admit it.

BTW, The earlier poster said 'you can alter the value by phone'. I'm telling you that it should be 'you can alter the value by phone AND Internet banking secure messaging'. (due to my experience)
    Hope that is clear.
    Last edited by OceanSound; 05-05-2019 at 3:03 PM.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 6th May 19, 12:31 AM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    soulsaver

BTW, The earlier poster said 'you can alter the value by phone'. I'm telling you that it should be 'you can alter the value by phone AND Internet banking secure messaging'. (due to my experience)
    Hope that is clear.
    Yep that's clear. If that's what you meant, what's not clear is why you posted this then, a couple of post earlier:

BTW, has anyone amended their SO successful through Internet Banking?
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 6th May 19, 9:46 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    When I contacted First Direct support (via online banking message) CS agent told me BTW, has anyone amended their SO successful through Internet Banking?, I've always got the error above when I attempted it. Amending M&S Bank SO (for Monthly Saver) via internet banking on the other hand is a doddle.
    Sure. No need to message or call. Set up the standing order yourself for the day and the amount you like then cancel the one that was set up when you opened the account.
    Last edited by Emily Joy; 06-05-2019 at 9:49 PM.
    • cheexy
    • By cheexy 21st May 19, 12:19 AM
    • 430 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    cheexy
    Confused Regarding Nationwide FlexDirect
    Hi All,
    I had a FlexDirect account which I opened in May 2017 and the 5% interest rate expired in May 2018 so I took the money out. Can I open a new FlexDirect account and still get the 5% interest. I remember in the past that there was a one year "cooling off" period but I am not sure if this still applies.

Thanks in advance.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 21st May 19, 12:36 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Yep that's clear. If that's what you meant, what's not clear is why you posted this then, a couple of post earlier:
    SImple. One post was made BEFORE contacting support, the other AFTER.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 21st May 19, 12:53 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Sure. No need to message or call. Set up the standing order yourself for the day and the amount you like then cancel the one that was set up when you opened the account.
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    Have you done this?...Next question..have you done this RECENTLY?. I believe someone said in an earlier post that we need to contact fd support.

Seems fd has disabled the DIY online ammend feature.(even if it's just the value you are amending - date of SO cannot of course be amended even after contacting support. Although I seem to recall someone saying, maybe in different thread, that he managed to change date by calling. I can't recall if he was talking about fd or hsbc. The latter probably.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

289Posts Today

3,966Users online

Martin's Twitter