Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: How many current accounts do you have open?

7.18% • 28 votes

21.03% • 82 votes

14.87% • 58 votes

12.05% • 47 votes

5-7

15.64% • 61 votes

8-9

4.62% • 18 votes

2.05% • 8 votes

11+

22.56% • 88 votes

You may not vote on this poll

390 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • roadblock15
    • By roadblock15 19th Oct 18, 9:27 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 17Thanks
    roadblock15
    How many bank accounts do we have?
    • 19th Oct 18, 9:27 PM
    How many bank accounts do we have? 19th Oct 18 at 9:27 PM
    Thought this poll may be fun and surprise a few people and maybe even me, how many bank accounts do we hold? Whether dormant, for donor/switching rewards. Iím use, or Ďas back upí.

I now only have 2 but at one time had 7.
Page 5
    • charlotte1994
    • By charlotte1994 8th May 19, 7:08 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    charlotte1994
    x2 Natwest. One for my wage to go into, then every month I transfer my rent into the other account and then set a timed payment for the 8th of every month for it to be paid out of that account. It keeps me from accidentally spending my rent, which is the most important bill for me
    • fiat lux
    • By fiat lux 8th May 19, 8:45 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    fiat lux
    Main and oldest current account with Barclays. The blue rewards scheme pays me £9 per month (£12 minus the £3 account fee) and it has a good fee-free overdraft limit. This is my everyday account for bills and spending.

Second current account Nationwide FlexPlus, I'm paying £13 monthly fee for the travel insurance and mobile phone insurance package. I use it as a savings account (3% interest rate) and for cash withdrawals abroad (no fees).

Third account Nationwide FlexDirect, 5% interest on savings up to £2500. I will be closing this one though, when the rate drops to 1%.
    • ryan121
    • By ryan121 18th May 19, 5:44 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    ryan121
    One, life is too short!
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 18th May 19, 6:41 PM
    • 11,391 Posts
    • 14,142 Thanks
    eskbanker
    One, life is too short!
    Originally posted by ryan121
    Life may indeed be too short for many to go around accumulating large numbers of them to earn interest, incentives and so on, but there are clear benefits in having two, with different banking groups, to provide resilience and access to funds in the event of technical system outages, card theft/loss, banks choosing to suspend/block your accounts, etc, etc....
    • arnoldy
    • By arnoldy 20th May 19, 9:01 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    arnoldy
    I agree with Ryan. For the last 34 years I've never had a issue with accessing money from my/our account. If there was a problem I'd just use my credit card(s)?

We have just one account, all our earnings in and spending as needed, no dicking around with calculations who pays what and separate accounts/private money etc
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 20th May 19, 11:20 PM
    • 11,391 Posts
    • 14,142 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I agree with Ryan. For the last 34 years I've never had a issue with accessing money from my/our account. If there was a problem I'd just use my credit card(s)?

We have just one account, all our earnings in and spending as needed, no dicking around with calculations who pays what and separate accounts/private money etc
    Originally posted by arnoldy
    Your prerogative, each to their own and all that, but I bet just over a year ago there were plenty of TSB customers who were similarly happy to keep all their eggs in one basket....
    • Lisi299
    • By Lisi299 7th Jun 19, 11:53 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Lisi299
    Hi

I have 3
    1st Santander joint for bills
    2nd hsbc wages
    3rd nationwide previously for a regular saver, now in case I need to transfer and take out money as I lost my card once and this was helpful!
    • stclair
    • By stclair 8th Jun 19, 6:38 AM
    • 6,530 Posts
    • 3,468 Thanks
    stclair
    2 - Nationwide
    1 - RBS
    1 - NatWest
    1 - Barclays
    1 - Halifax
    2 - TSB
    1 - First Direct
    1 - Santander
    1 - B (Yorkshire Bank)
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • TREVORCOLMAN
    • By TREVORCOLMAN 8th Jun 19, 9:34 AM
    • 954 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    TREVORCOLMAN
    Please dont start threads that allow people to boast how many theve got, we dont care.
    Originally posted by roddydogs

Don't read it then.
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 6th Jul 19, 6:47 PM
    • 4,965 Posts
    • 39,842 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Well mine are diminishing in line with diminishing interest!

One Mr T switched this week into an existing a/c and another Mr T due to switch to another existing a/c. In both cases to be rewarded (of course!!)

So, 2 down and a few more to go which rather depends on RS rates in the future.Already Nationwide have axed theirs.........
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• older_wiser
    • By older_wiser 9th Jul 19, 6:11 PM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    older_wiser
    alot more than i had afew years ago mostly due to switching and then keeping them for one reason or another

1x natwest
    1x halifax
    2x nationwide
    1x tsb
    1x santander
    1x hsbc
    1x starling
    1x tesco
    1x monzo
    • girllikeme1
    • By girllikeme1 10th Jul 19, 11:10 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    girllikeme1
    Halifax
    Tesco
    AA
    TSB
    Nationwide
    Santander
    HSBC
    Starling
    RBS

I am a switcher and take advantage of offers! I would like them all in one place ideally though, getting to the stage where I have too many apps and passwords!
    • mab3000
    • By mab3000 14th Jul 19, 8:14 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mab3000
    I have a Barclays account as my main account, an account I have which I use for switcher offers which is currently with Santander, and a Starling account which I opened out of curiosity as I work in the banking world, but currently use it for the fee free non sterling transactions over seas.

Interesting to see that the majority of people who have voted in the poll have 11+ current accounts though
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 18th Jul 19, 9:43 AM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Interesting to see that the majority of people who have voted in the poll have 11+ current accounts though
    Originally posted by mab3000
    You need to look closer at the poll results and the wording of your conclusion.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 28th Jul 19, 2:11 PM
    • 4,965 Posts
    • 39,842 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Two less than when this thread started!
    Bye bye Mr T- both those switched to existing accounts, which gave me a small incentive for my trouble! (more than the reduced income from interest)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 30th Jul 19, 5:56 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Surely the results aren't representative of the general population.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 30th Jul 19, 8:46 AM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 5,280 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Surely the results aren't representative of the general population.
    Originally posted by OceanSound
    Well, obviously, no.

They're only 'representative' (and that may not even be true as people may not be being completely honest) of the subset of people who visit this thread and who take part in the poll.

So that's just a few of the users of this forum (not even close to the general population), and those few are just the forum users who visit the bank account pages, and of that group just those who were curious enough to look at this thread and of that subset just those who chose to cast a vote.

So almost certainly entirely meaningless, like most polls on here.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 30th Jul 19, 2:55 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Well, obviously, no.

They're only 'representative' (and that may not even be true as people may not be being completely honest) of the subset of people who visit this thread and who take part in the poll.

So that's just a few of the users of this forum (not even close to the general population), and those few are just the forum users who visit the bank account pages, and of that group just those who were curious enough to look at this thread and of that subset just those who chose to cast a vote.

So almost certainly entirely meaningless, like most polls on here.
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    I was saying. Not asking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,970Posts Today

8,481Users online

Martin's Twitter