Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 10:27 AM
    • 3,590Posts
    • 19,241Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 10:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 10:27 AM
    .....25/11/2018 ......
    I have decided to update as its been ages since I started this thread and so much has changed including my priorities.....

We gained a puppy after starting this thread and although she is a handful she has given me something to focus on and to get up for each day.

DS split from one long-term gf and is now several months into a new relationship and started a new job and seems very happy.

Sadly DM passed away suddenly this year and I miss her every day. Then DF was seriously ill in hospital with sepsis and almost died but thankfully he found the strength to pull through and is making a full recovery physically. We are supporting one another emotionally as a family.

I started this thread with the focus on saving some money. That hasn't happened and I have ended up with some debt on a 0% credit card but it is being paid off as planned and I am still managing to pay all bills and still have some money to spend with friends. I am planning to start saving for an emergency fund in the new year 2019.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-11-2018 at 6:52 AM.
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 848
    Emergency fund 100/500
Page 66
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 11th May 19, 8:02 PM
    • 13,983 Posts
    • 47,484 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for tidying, table top sale and then meal out. Sounds like a great day.
    Christmas Fund 148
    Reminder: June Spending on fleabay 6.99
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 12th May 19, 3:35 PM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 19,241 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Yeah shame we missed the table top sale it was finished when we got there !

Lovely sunny day today. I walked puppy dog this morning then hung washing out. I've had my head in the oven this afternoon and have removed the element (after switching the electric off !) I've ordered a new one online 12.90 including delivery so not too bad.

After that I've been in the garden chopping back the shrubs which have gone in the green bin for collection on Tuesday. I share it with my neighbour and we go half each on the cost which saves driving to the tip (recycling centre).

I just need to hoover the dog carpet now and the kitchen tiled floor, and bring washing in. DS is home so he will walk puppy dog this evening. Back to work tomorrow.
    Emergency fund 100/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th May 19, 7:32 PM
    • 13,983 Posts
    • 47,484 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Lol Head in Oven Glad it seems sortable. Sorry that you missed the table top sale I am hoping you slept in as you have worked v hard this break. Hopefully you will go to plenty more later in the summer to make up for it.

Well done on all the jobs. Next week will be a nice week hopefully.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th May 19, 4:22 PM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 19,241 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have had bad back since removing the cooker element. Bending and reaching into the back of the oven over the oven door is not ideal ! Have come home after work and taken painkillers and slept for 2 hours. DS & gf have walked puppy dog in the forest where it is cooler. The weather is glorious. Shame I'm not up to doing much, would have got loads of washing dried today

Our shower hose has broken and is now leaking. I have found a replacement at screwfix for 10.99 and will collect it tomorrow. Hoping that is the last thing for a while ! After this there is only 10 left in annual bills but hoping shouldn't need to pay for anything else until car insurance due in December, so should save 100 a month from June to build up the fund again.
    Emergency fund 100/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th May 19, 6:35 PM
    • 13,983 Posts
    • 47,484 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Sorry your back is so bad. Just think of the money you saved sorting out the oven yourself. Weather is lovely here as well but I have been too busy at work to enjoy it!

Good news on getting a shower head. I bought mine from Asda a while ago and it has lasted and it was cheap. Here's to saving for bills!
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th May 19, 4:53 PM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 19,241 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thanks SW. Its just the shower hose that has split. The shower head is ok, but I took a look at their website after you mentioned them and I ordered a replacement hose for 5 saving 5.99 It should arrive for free click and collect by the weekend.

I dropped another bag of stuff at the tip after work today. DS put it in the car and the lovely council man lifted it out and into the skip.

The weather is lovely, I came home and took puppy dog for a run around on the common. She found a ball and then lost it again in the long grass useless as a retriever !!

I used up a chicken breast for lunch with some stir fry veg, garlic & ginger. DS is buying his own food now, it seems strange not feeding him after 23 years He's gone out for dinner lol. I will use up the last chicken breast for dinner not sure what to have with it, maybe Cajun spices with the last of the oven chips & corn on the cob.
    Emergency fund 100/500
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th May 19, 5:46 PM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 19,241 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Last night I used the last of the chicken breast with courgette, leftover red pepper and butternut squash in a jar of Moroccan sauce from my store cupboard. There is another portion left which I put in the freezer. Tonight I am having the last pork chop with some roasted veg and new potatoes. I am determined not to go food shopping until Monday. I have a haddock bake left in freezer which was 30% off when I bought it ages ago. I have a microwave curry & rice meal & 1 nan bread in the freezer plus a pack of popadoms I bought last week, and I have a microwave spaghetti bolognaise. I found a 1.50 Tesco voucher when I was sorting some paperwork so I will use that to buy milk.

The insurers have finally paid out for puppy dogs treatment. The total was over 1200 and the excess was 99. They have withheld 189 which is for things you cannot claim for (food, admin fee for vet to sign insurance claim form ! ) and things over the maximum they pay (100 hospitalisation fee a day but out of hours night vet charge more than that !) They have paid more that I thought they would. I have paid the 100 excess off my non-0% credit card. I have transferred the remaining 189 to my 0% credit card for a 3% fee which is just a few pounds and DS is giving me money to pay that off monthly. Am glad that is sorted.

The new cooker element arrived today so I will clean the oven over the weekend and put that back together. I already have a can of oven cleaner and a box of oven pride for the shelves in my cupboard.

Am glad its Friday tomorrow, work has been a real slog this week ! Had a lovely walk this afternoon with puppy dog. Shame the lovely weather is meant to change tomorrow. Rain is forecast ! Hope its wrong.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 16-05-2019 at 5:49 PM.
    Emergency fund 100/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th May 19, 6:14 PM
    • 13,983 Posts
    • 47,484 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for insurers actually paying out. Only paying a third of the bill is great especially if DS is helping out and you can use the 0%cc.

Well done on eating healthily I haven't this week let's just say I slipped off the wagon and then ate it. You put me to shame! lol.

Good luck with the oven part - look after your back. Here's to a dry weekend. I am sure the weather people have it wrong.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th May 19, 3:01 PM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 19,241 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Am glad its Friday
    I took food to work today saving money by not spending in the canteen.

Took puppy dog for a walk before the rain started.

Have paid 50 off my 0% card so once the balance transfer goes through I should have 898 left to pay with no interest as long as I pay it off by the end of the offer period 7/7/2020. I think I need to pay 70 a month from June for 13 months and I also need to get my emergency fund built up again and my bills account.

Once all my bills come off I have 48.13 left till payday on 31 May. I will need 10 for petrol and 10 into dog food fund leaving 28.13 for food for me for 2 weeks from Monday plus 1.50 Tesco voucher. It will be tight but I am sure I am up to the challenge ! In my store cupboard I have rice, pasta, egg noodles, jar of pasta bake sauce, jar of curry sauce, tin tuna, jar of Moroccan sauce. I have a couple of bread rolls and some sliced bread in the freezer for sandwiches, so I must be organised for food for work. I will need to buy milk and washing up liquid and we may need loo rolls. I will work out a shopping list for Monday and let you know how I get on !
    Emergency fund 100/500
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th May 19, 6:51 AM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 19,241 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Ok so this is my shopping list / menu from Monday

Week 1.
    Peanut butter. (Dog) Bread rolls. Tin toms, tin beans, tin kidney beans. Carrots. (Mostly Dog). Broccoli. Pack 4 Baking potatoes. Courgettes. Peppers. Small Mince. 5 Chicken breasts. Bananas. Ham. Cheese. Bleach. Washing up liquid. Toilet rolls. Kitchen roll. Pizza. Chips. Fish pie x 2. Milk. Rhubarb yoghurt.

Week 2
    Bananas, yoghurt, carrots (dog)
    milk (1.50 tesco voucher)

Dinners.
    4 x chilli (tin toms/ peppers/ onion/ butternut squash/beans/mince) & rice/chips
    2 x fish pie & peas / broccoli
    1 x Chicken, peppers & blackbean sauce & rice
    3 x chicken & peppers/ butternut squash curry (2 chicken breasts) & rice
    1 x Chicken breast, Jacket potato, broccoli carrots gravy
    1 x Sweet chilli chicken & noodles, stir fry veg
    (2 meals) 1/2 Pizza & chips.

Lunches - sandwiches (cheese, ham, tuna) cheese on toast, beans on toast. Home made Soup (potato, carrot, onion, stock cube) jacket potato.

Breakfast - porridge. Banana.

Already in my Stores = porridge, sauces - curry/blackbean/sweet chilli, onions, rice, noodles, tuna, stock cubes, sliced bread (freezer), butternut squash, gravy granuals, chilli spices, frozen peas.

Not sure on the cost yet but all shopping will be from aldi (apart from week 2 milk tesco voucher) and should come within budget. (28) will work that out later
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 18-05-2019 at 6:54 AM.
    Emergency fund 100/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th May 19, 3:42 PM
    • 13,983 Posts
    • 47,484 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    This is v organised. I wish I was.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th May 19, 5:47 AM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 19,241 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I haven't been organised for ages but due to small food budget remaining, needs must. It's cheaper to meal plan over 2 weeks at 28 rather than 14 a week.

Yesterday I walked puppy dog, did one load of washing when the sun started to come out at lunch time and hoovered the dog carpet & kitchen tiled floor. I cleaned my main oven with mr muscles spray on /leave for 30 minutes/ wipe off no scrubbing ! It took a couple of times. I had also put the shelves into a bag of oven pride overnight and once rinsed off so they were gleaming again like new.

I did more sorting and tidying
    Week 19 (last Week) last pile of documents sorted for shredding. Old padded envelopes / packaging binned. Always thought I might reuse them but some are years old
    Week 20 - trip to tip, old broken doorbell chime removed from above kitchen door & binned, leaking batteries removed for recycling. More packaging for recycling. Cardboard box given to puppy dog to play with / chomp/ run around with it on her head totally destroyed and put in recycling bin

Today I will scrub patio with dog safe disinfectant and clean my smaller top oven/ grill. Once that's done I will fit the new cooker element in the main oven. The main oven has needed to air overnight with the door open, the smell is so strong from the cleaning product I didn't fancy sticking my head in there to fit the new element straight away

I hope the weather is nice again today, it was a bit grey when I fed puppy dog at 6am and let her out in garden. As always more washing to do ! It's almost 7am, puppy dog is snoozing so I am going back to bed for a few hours. DS and his gf are walking her later.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 19-05-2019 at 5:52 AM.
    Emergency fund 100/500
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th May 19, 7:40 PM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 19,241 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It rained just as my washing machine finished ! However it was only for a few hours then it brightened up so I put washing out and it dried by 5pm.

I walked puppy dog this afternoon and had a snooze. Then I cleaned the top oven and fitted the new element in the bottom oven, turned the electric back on and it is all working again and looks clean and shiny Thank goodness it only cost 12.90 for the replacement element plus cleaning stuff which I bought on offer a few months ago.

My back is aching now after twisting to reach into the back of the bottom oven to fix the element, so I have just been taking it easy since then. I didn't scrub the patio but it has been raining since 6pm so it will have been washed by the rain

I am at work in the morning, then I will go to aldee for food shopping and pop to asda to collect the shower hose I ordered online for 5. Hopefully that should be easier to fit than the cooker element !!
    Emergency fund 100/500
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th May 19, 6:40 PM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 19,241 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Ok so this is my shopping list / menu from Monday

Week 1.
    Peanut butter. (Dog) 8 Bread rolls. Tin toms, tin beans, tin kidney beans. Carrots. (Mostly Dog). Broccoli. Pack 4 Baking potatoes. Courgettes. Peppers. Small Mince. 5 Chicken breasts. Bananas. Ham. Cheese. Bleach. Washing up liquid. Toilet rolls. Kitchen roll. Pizza. Chips. Fish pie x 2. Milk. Rhubarb yoghurt.
    Originally posted by Skint yet Again

I was more organised today and took porridge to work for breakfast and a tuna sandwich with crisps from stores so no spending in the canteen

I went shopping to aldee after work and got everything on my list apart from kitchen roll and milk. Total cost 22.75. We still have milk so I will get some more later in the week when I pass Tesco express on the way home from work using 1.50 Tesco voucher.

Week 2 shopping will be another large greek style rhubarb yoghurt 75p kitchen rolls 99p 5 bananas 88p 4 pints milk 1.10 carrots 59p (for the dog ) = 3.32

total spend 2 weeks = 26.07 so should be within budget of 28.13 to last till payday. Might treat myself to a packet of biscuits

Tonight for dinner I have made a chicken curry with 2 chicken breasts, butternut squash and red pepper and made 2 additional meals for the freezer. I had half a pack of micro rice from stores (49p a pack) and will use the other half with another meal during the week.

I cut the pizza in half when I got the shopping home as it was a thin crust base and had partly defrosted and then wrapped each piece in cling film and put back in the freezer. So that will do for 2 meals.

I will go to asda tomorrow to collect the shower hose. Walked the dog instead. Tired now, DS on nights so I will have an early night when he leaves for work.
    Emergency fund 100/500
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd May 19, 3:03 PM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 19,241 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I collected the shower hose from asda yesterday, thanks for the tip SW, asda were the cheapest at 5 and it is great ! No more leaks and saved me 5.99 on the one I was going to buy elsewhere. Had a bit of a struggle to get the old one off as it was stuck with limescale but a spray of WD40 from my DIY cupboard and it soon loosened and came off. Also cooked a big batch of chilli, one portion for dinner and 3 for the freezer, and washed towels which line dried.

Did another load of washing when I got home from work today. The weather is lovely. I walked the dog earlier and she has been in her paddling pool this afternoon to cool down I was naughty today and bought pepsi max, ice-creams & kitkats all on offer, as well as milk in Tesco As its a bank holiday weekend I will treat it as a holiday treat and take 5 from xmas/ birthdays/ holidays account to cover.

More decluttering - shoe box, box from asda that shower hose came in & one other box into recycling.
    Emergency fund 100/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd May 19, 4:59 PM
    • 13,983 Posts
    • 47,484 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for shower head. Well done on washing and walking. Here's to a great weekend. Ice cream and yum treats!
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 25th May 19, 5:49 AM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 19,241 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Got petrol and milk on way home used 1.50 off voucher. Got home and another voucher has arrived in the post for 2.50 so I will use that next week for milk and maybe kitchen roll or bananas. I will get the rest from aldi
    Week 2 shopping list: kitchen roll 99p, carrots for dog 59p, large pot yoghurt 75p, pack 5 bananas 88p. Milk. Should be able to manage no other spends until payday.

Yesterday I walked the puppy dog after work, hung out washing, hoovered hairy dog carpet & kitchen tiled floor, scrubbed patio & cut grass. Dinner was half a pizza with cheesy oven chips & sweet chilli sauce.

It's looking cloudy this morning. DS & gf are taking puppy dog away tomorrow for bank hol at her parents. I have arranged to meet up with friends
    Emergency fund 100/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 25th May 19, 6:48 AM
    • 13,983 Posts
    • 47,484 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah me too. Im just getting ready. Have a good day.
    Christmas Fund 148
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 25th May 19, 6:19 PM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 19,241 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    [QUOTE=Skint yet Again;75293731

voice therapy appointment - booked - ongoing
    ENT hospital follow up - booked - done
    Dr appointment - booked - done
    hair appointment - booked - done

Still to book:
    Diabetes check - done
    mammogram - done
    eye test
    dentist - done [/QUOTE]

Was thinking about my new year resolutions today. I am now up to date with all my health checks apart from eye test. I must make an appointment, as I am diabetic it will be free so no excuse really. I am going to ask for the prescription and try ordering online the deals advertised on TV by these other companies look so good.

Weather has been lovely today. Walked the dog, hung washing out and pottered in the garden. Fish pie and garden peas for tea tonight. I am meeting with a friend tomorrow not sure what we are doing it depends on the weather.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-05-2019 at 6:21 PM.
    Emergency fund 100/500
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 26th May 19, 4:53 PM
    • 13,983 Posts
    • 47,484 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hope you had a good day.
    Christmas Fund 148
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,375Posts Today

8,585Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin