Best free email provider?

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,772
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    you will find a lot of online websites block free emails like gmail, yahoo, GMX etc.
    Rubbish.......Never happens.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Jorell00
    Jorell00 Posts: 82
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Another vote for GMX. You can have up to 10 Alias email addresses, which are all routed into your main account. which can be disposed of if that particular address gets lots of spam. And a new address added. I might not have explained that very well (it is drunk o'clock) , but have a look, and you'll get what I mean.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    RumRat wrote: »

Not quite Never.

Vodafone do not like AOL. Tried more than a few times to register and never receive their confirmation email.

On the parking boards they tell users not to use Hotmail to register on pepipoo. They do not allow Hotmail.

Ive been to a few sites than have banned some email providers, usually after a major spam attack. But things are better since email providers started to limit the number of accounts users could create or just make it harder work to open an account.

Like yahoo insisting on a phone number when registering. Do they still do that?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    It does and quite a lot

Anti fraud systems like Maxming, fraudlab, VariLogix Fraudcall
    has this feature
    Block orders from free email addresses such as Hotmail & Yahoo!

what it does is block orders being made using free email addresses, once orders are placed you can change the email address to a free email address.

companies can buy plugins etc. that list all know free Email addresses ( so far 1,456 know free email addresses)

The issue is when you have companies like AOL which has free and paid services using the same AOL email addresses.
  • angryparcel

I think so, i have had a Yahoo email for years ( use this address when i order anything online, so if they spam i dont get these on my main address) and when i login it keeps asking me for a phone number, which i dont give and i still get access to my account
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't know, but having a phone number is one of the primary ways to recover an email account if there are problems, so I think that's something different.
  • RumRat
    Forumite
    It does and quite a lot

Anti fraud systems like Maxming, fraudlab, VariLogix Fraudcall
    has this feature
    They don't block Gmail or GMX, they search for disposable email address, one-time email address, throwaway email address or temporary email addresses, which are a different thing.
    Go onto fraudlab site for instance and you can check a standard GMX email address, for example, and it will verify it as not disposable.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • angryparcel
    They don't block Gmail or GMX, they search for disposable email address, one-time email address, throwaway email address or temporary email addresses, which are a different thing.
    Go onto fraudlab site for instance and you can check a standard GMX email address, for example, and it will verify it as not disposable.
    They do, i use all these in my line of business.
    This is part of the list of banned emails that Maxmind and Fraudlab use ( notice the ones i have marked with a red line.

M.aspx?v=8c7266875d929e77a1
  • RumRat
    Forumite
    They do, i use all these in my line of business.
    This is part of the list of banned emails that Maxmind and Fraudlab use ( notice the ones i have marked with a red line.

M.aspx?v=8c7266875d929e77a1
    Unless you pay for their service and add your own list they don't ban them.
    Test an email address here http://www.fraudlabspro.com/disposable-email-validation-tool
    GMX is not red flagged.
    I know we won't agree on this so the argument is pointless. Suffice to say I've never known anyone banned from any site for using GMX or Gmail. Any site doing so would lose a hell of a lot of business if they did.
    I'm willing to be persuaded. So let me know which site I would be banned from using my email address.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • angryparcel
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    I agree, gone are the days of banning online email accounts, you are living in the past or rather the sites than still ban them are, these are the days of the cloud.

They would be cutting out anyone with only an iPad, Tablet or mobile phone.

It is only tired old sites that have not been updated for years that still have that.

As for GMX, it is part of 1&1 and Mail.com, both huge.

Typically companies are banned when they do not take measures to make sure subscribers are genuine. Some go a stage further and share their attempted abuse attempts either via Spamhaus or directly.
    These lists are set by Maxmind and Fraudlab i will not tell then that they are wrong and MSE is right
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure