MSE News: SSE handed £10.5m mis-selling fine – can you claim compensation?

"The provider is to be fined for "prolonged and extensive" mis-selling, in what will be the largest ever penalty imposed..."
Read the full story:

SSE handed £10.5m mis-selling fine – can you claim compensation?

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    So to make up their losses SSE will just put up prices.
    So cheated customers will get money back, and over time SSE will get their money back BUT all customers will have to pay extra forever.
  • CRISPIANNE3
    CRISPIANNE3 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I expect Marks and Spencer will be upset as they use SSE to front their energy arm.
  • Do you reckon? Not so sure myself. Don't forget non-profit energy company (and unofficial champion of the disadvantaged) Ebico is also supplied by SSE and that's an ongoing relationship. It's not like SSE's dodgy selling practices weren't highlighted several years ago, is it?
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Wasn't there a manager from this company that used to contribute to this forum. I think he went by the name of SSE Guy ( or was it SSE manager)?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Dont agree with the fine, ofgem should have done something other than giving them a reason to put prices up, Forcing them to fix their prices 5% below standard for the next 5 years or something.

However, glad to see this company finally exposed for being one of the worst offenders for doorstep miss-selling, I've heard utter lies from them time and time again (that includes the people you see in M&S selling SSE) I even had the misfortune to meet someone once that was a former salesman, he told me they were actively encouraged by the regional managers to target old people and foreigners who were more likely to fall for their lies, he also bragged that he once put a pen in and guided the hand of a blind woman to sign the sales slip having told her it was to say he had read the meter.

Scum.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • Its not just SSE who should be fined. My DH left British gas four years ago after, during his training, he was told and taught how to get sales using the same tactics. He couldn't do it as it goes against his morals but he was made into a laughing stock by the other sales men for being 'soft' and 'weak'.
  • Its not just SSE who should be fined. My DH left British gas four years ago after, during his training, he was told and taught how to get sales using the same tactics. He couldn't do it as it goes against his morals but he was made into a laughing stock by the other sales men for being 'soft' and 'weak'.

OFGEM say their investigation into miss selling is ongoing so expect some more fines. No idea whether BG will incur their wrath, though.
  • OFGEM say their investigation into miss selling is ongoing so expect some more fines. No idea whether BG will incur their wrath, though.

BG are the only ones not being investigated.....
  • BG are the only ones not being investigated.....

Interesting. Thanks for that, BBS.
  • misterbarlow
    misterbarlow Posts: 466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if you pay sales people a poor basic salary and then offer them £25 for everyone they sign up, they are gonna use any tactic they can, aren't they!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure