Ppi

Options
I'm sure I paid PPI with a loan I took out with HSBC in 1994.
I no longer have account no. details of the account that the loan was paid in to but opened another account with HSBC while paying the loan off and I still have a account details for the 2nd account.

I have written to the bank twice with details of the 2nd account and a credit card account thinking that they would be able to look me up through these and find details of the loan and the PPI. However, the bank says they cannot find details of any PPI and they're not clear in the reply, whether they even have details of any accounts I had with them. To be honest, they don't seem very helpful. :wall:
I'm sure that I remember being told that I couldn't have a loan unless I took out the protection (because I always said no to such things as they cost more)
Help please!
Is it so long ago that they won't be able to find anything and I should just forget it? I'm losing the energy to pursue this but I'm sure I paid it.
Any thought gratefully received. Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    vonpansen wrote: »
    I have written to the bank twice with details of the 2nd account and a credit card account thinking that they would be able to look me up through these and find details of the loan and the PPI. However, the bank says they cannot find details of any PPI
    Why have you enquired twice?
    Do you think continually approaching them (about finance from a quarter century ago) will somehow wear them down?

Most records are deleted after around six years, so sending them details of a subsequent account will not turn up any records of the older one.

You are not even certain you had PPI and, to be brutally honest, your complaint reason is utterly weak.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be honest, they don't seem very helpful.

They seem helpful enough. They are responding to you telling you they cant find your records. It may not be what you want to hear but there is little they can do beyond that.
    Is it so long ago that they won't be able to find anything and I should just forget it

Records start being destroyed after around 6 years. The rate of destruction is often longer than that and phased rather than a line in the sand. It is also affected whether you are a current customer or not. If you have no current relationship with them, then record destruction will be more complete than if you are still a customer.

The further back in time you go, the less likely documentation is going to exist. Had you complained 15 years ago when the PPI issue was starting to be publicised or even 10 years ago when it was at its peak, documents may still have existed.

Whilst no-one can be 100% sure of their response, it does sound reasonable given the period in question.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    vonpansen wrote: »
    I'm sure that I remember being told that I couldn't have a loan unless I took out the protection (because I always said no to such things as they cost more)

I dont believe thats a misselling reason by itself.

They were able to make that a condition. You chose to take it.
    They didnt sell it to you unknowingly, and you dont say if the PPI woudl ahve been useless to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I dont believe thats a misselling reason by itself.

They were able to make that a condition.

It depends totally on the specific policy. Certainly there were instances of free mortgage advice being offered to anyone who purchased PPI. In those cases the mortgage was indeed conditional of taking PPI.
    However, I am not aware of any PPI on loans and credit cards which was compulsory-so anyone told that it was would indeed be mis-sold.

The reason that it's a very weak complaint is that no evidence will be offered by the complainant or found by the bank.
    It's just "hearsay".

The OP says that he is "sure that he remembers" which is very poor evidence indeed .

Regardless, since there is no longer any record of the phantom finance and PPI, any complaint reason is irrelevant no matter how compelling...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure