Booking a Thomas Cook holiday? Here's what you need to know - MSE News

Thomas Cook has been telling worried customers that their flights and holidays are safe after it announced a £1.4 billion loss - if you're booking with Thomas Cook, here are some simple steps to boost your protection...
Read the full story:
'Booking a Thomas Cook holiday? Here's what you need to know'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Booked for August, already paid first direct debit of £500. Package holiday so should be covered.
  • Makeandsave
    Makeandsave Posts: 3,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I booked a city break through Thomas cook store and they went through Expedia this was back in March, Booked as a package, Would both the flight provider and hotel got the payment by now? Or if TC goes under are we covered? It will be a shame if TC goes bust because i have used them for all my holiday needs.
    Jan Wins: .
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That is my concern, I am paying them and they are not paying the hotel
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,848 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you book a package and get an ATOL Certificate then your money and /or holiday will be protected if anything goes wrong. The ATOL certificate will identify the operator, it may be Thomas Cooks itself or they may have booked your holiday through another operator who will still provide your holiday even if they haven't been paid by Thomas Cooks.

If you just buy a single element such as a flight or accommodation or car hire, it isn't a package and is not legally required to be protected. If you have just bought a flight using Thomas Cook Airlines then you need to arrange insurance against their failure, worrying having just checked https://www.protectmyholiday.com which is usually a good source for this cover, they are no longer offering cover for Thomas Cook Airlines at all. That does not mean they are going to fail, just that you need to check your travel insurance cover very carefully indeed.

They were in a similar situation in 2012 and got out of it, I expect they will do so again.
  • RonoB
    RonoB Posts: 42 Forumite
    Hi. I have 2 holidays booked. One for October and one for next July payig direct debit for both. I’m thinking of paying even £10 to each by my credit card just to give myself extra security. Is this a good idea?
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    RonoB wrote: »
    Hi. I have 2 holidays booked. One for October and one for next July payig direct debit for both. I’m thinking of paying even £10 to each by my credit card just to give myself extra security. Is this a good idea?

Sound like packages and if so you will have been issued an ATOL certificate for each. This would give the necessary financial protection to you.
  • dlpfan2019
    dlpfan2019 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have some vouchers for them - significant amount £4500 so am going to get something booked in asap just incase but just wanted to double check it would still be covered if it all goes wrong?
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    dlpfan2019 wrote: »
    I have some vouchers for them - significant amount £4500 so am going to get something booked in asap just incase but just wanted to double check it would still be covered if it all goes wrong?

If it is ATOL protected - yes. So dont do a flight only booking.
  • JBMouse
    JBMouse Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am going away on a TC package holiday 1st June 2019, and have a query about a specific situation if TC cease trading whilst I am away: I know the CAA will arrange repatriation flights, so that is good, but what about any extra accommodation costs and meals if the flight back is later than the planned return to the UK? Will I get my extra expenditure refunded when I get back? I know to get full receipts etc. but just want to be clear on who sorts out the extra bits if the worst happens (but I have to admit that an extra week in Greece would be nice).
  • dlpfan2019
    dlpfan2019 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Ok so about to book, there are 6 of us going between two families

We will be paying the majority through the vouchers and my father in law has suggested we should pay the difference on Credit Card for added protection which is sensible

I was just wondering if it mattered whose it should be? ie is it easier if the card used is from the lead person booking the holiday
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure