PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Visiting tradesman -your responsibility?

Comments

• Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would pop an envelope with a few monopoly notes through your neighbours door as compensation rightfully owed.

But then I do not have to live with the consequences of antagonising further. Best ignored.
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 27 March 2018 at 7:04AM
    An update.

I got home expecting to be pounced on. No one waiting on my doorstep, yay.

Then waited for a knock over the weekend. Nothing.

Yesterday morning i was leaving when my opposite neighbour greeted me with a smile and a wave indicating i should come over. She asked about the neighbour and what was going on. As i am not a gossip i just gave her the facts that there had been an altercation and the little road neighbour felt i had some culpability.

She mentioned that almost being directly across from me she couldn't help but notice that little road neighbour was stomping up to my door several times a day, hanging about and glaring in through the windows.

After the tenth time she counted she intercepted him told him in no uncertain terms the behavior was stalkerish and harassing so she had reported him.He apparently went into a rage so violent that the police were called again (by another neighbour). She however was totally chilled as in the living room were her four strapping sons. They didn't say or do anything they just filed out and stood in the doorway and looked at him, arms crossed. In her words he scuttled off back home.

She was outside this morning as it seems that during the night little road neighbour has moved all her pots and urns and piled them against her front door in a petty retaliation.

All i got was a snippy note, saying he wants compensating and he won't be swayed in this matter. He's taken people to court before and won.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2018 at 7:21AM
    Hopefully she took a photo of that petty behaviour - ie the pots and urns. That will show he's someone who doesn't act logically if need be.

To be just "put away in a file somewhere" in case.

But - yep....basically this incident is just between the tradesperson and neighbour. I've had nfh have a go at tradespeople of mine before now and, since I was there at the time, I came out and protected my tradesperson from the "attack" (with my sheer presence - as obvious witness if neighbour continued). If you're not there when a neighbour "starts up" - then there's nothing you can do about it.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    He's taken people to court before and won.
    Has he actually (if so, for what?) or is that just what he's claiming?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    He's taken people to court before and won.

Yes, so did one of the neighbours near me.

However, getting compensation for falling-over in a pub car park is one thing, and trying to sue the RAF for startling a horse is something else entirely!

In other words, some claims are doomed at the start....and this is one of them.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hopefully she took a photo of that petty behaviour - ie the pots and urns. That will show he's someone who doesn't act logically if need be.
    it.
    I don't think acting illogically is an offence yet, although it may be on Vulcan.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,912
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If it's that important to him, why hasn't your neighbour put up a 'Private Lane - No Parking' sign to warn visitors?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Tygermoth
    Forumite
    edited 27 March 2018 at 8:27AM
    Ah, that's one of the issues and one of his demands.

The mews is small single lane one way and therefore you can only enter his lane by turning left at my house. So for there to be a clear and visible sign it will need to be placed on the side of my house.

The old owners agreed to allow him to put a sign up and he kept changing it - drilling more and more holes as the sign got bigger and bigger adding a hook so he could hang a chalkboard with the registration numbers of offending cars. After he moved it again for the umteenth time they told him to take it down.

They put up a sign they were happy with and that was the end of it as far as they were concerned.

It then vanished one night a few days later the little lane neighbour arrived to the doorstep with a new bigger brighter sign as he 'noticed' the old one had gone missing.........

The old owners decided against putting up any further signs.

In his list of demands having the sign reinstated in number one - the above is why we are hesitant to allow this as with a normal neighbour it would be a reasonable request and one we would likely agree to!

(To be fair and clear this story was advised to us by our neighbours after we moved in - not the original owners - so this is only one side of the story and second or third hand at that)
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,780
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Oh wow. I do feel for you as he sounds about as bad as a neighbour can be, but he does make fascinating reading for us. You should write a book!

All you can do is ignore him. And get a CCTV camera as it's actually all quite sinister. We've got a Nest Outdoor which is great. It highlights activity through the day for you and you can record clips.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Tygermoth
    Forumite
    edited 27 March 2018 at 8:43AM
    We were considering something along the lines of this however as the ownership of the house finishes at the front door i believe CCTV would not be filming on my land but overlooking a public space. As such no one in the mews has CCTV externally to the front.

Incidentally the only person that does have CCTV is little lane neighbour as he owns the lane. He mentioned this after the fisticuffs that it does not record only comes on when there is movement in the lane (and at a guess it also triggers when someone parks in the visitors bay as the corner of which can just be seen if you stand in the lane) This is a guess on my part as he, without fail, will go down and have a nosy just after that space is used.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure