PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Popped into three charity shops today that I haven!!!8217;t visited before. None of the three were big chains. Happy to see that they all had reasonable prices for books (60p). Didn!!!8217;t find the books that I was looking for.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Laredouter wrote: »
    I have had quite an amazing charity shop day today. I came home with so many lovely items.

Phyllis Tuckwell:
    An olive Cath Kidston blouse with a first white, pink and blue floral print- £3.50
    A navy blue Joules shirt with a bold flower print in sky blue- £3.00
    A bright pink wool Seasalt scarf- £2.50
    A lovely sherpa-lined navy Crew Clothing hoodie- £7. Absolutely love this, I'm wearing it now and I am very toasty warm :D

Oxfam:
    A set of three (white/pink/sky blue) BNWT Tu vest tops for £2.99
    A BNWOT off-white thick-knit The White Company waterfall cardigan- £14.99. I know, I know, it's a really pricey item, but it is immaculate and I love it so much, plus it would have been anywhere from £110 to £179 brand new, judging by similar ones on the website :eek:

Cancer Research:

A square silk scarf with elephants and flowers (A lot more tasteful than it sounds :p) on a navy background - £2. I bought it on a whim after I tried on a Fenn Wright Manson silk blouse which didn't fit. I googled the maker, Jim Thompson, and realised that he was a luxury Thai silk brand, with scarves of the same size at $143 on his online store :eek: . Needless to say I am thrilled with this!

Absolutely brilliant day! :D
    Glad you are having fun in your search! Chaz-ing is addictive, I tell you.

The prices are more than I would have paid - but then I am in a different position. Firstly, I don't actually need anything, so anything I get is very much a want and not a necessity, hence my default position is "do not buy". Secondly, I have had years of cruising the chazzers, and there are items that come up all the time, and then there are some very unusual finds that I just know I shan't see again soon, if at all. Lastly, I have had some amazing bargains over this time and know how much something is worth to me, hence my benchmark pricing is set much lower than yours. I guess we all start out by paying over the odds.

Today I bought a beautiful maroon leather handbag, v smart and new looking with stud feet. At first glance I thought the price tag said £20 - but it was in fact just £2 :D. I've image searched on Google and can't find the exact item, its a very unusual design but large enough for everyday use, so its time to decant from my usual handbag.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cancer Research:

A square silk scarf with elephants and flowers (A lot more tasteful than it sounds :p) on a navy background - £2. I bought it on a whim after I tried on a Fenn Wright Manson silk blouse which didn't fit. I googled the maker, Jim Thompson, and realised that he was a luxury Thai silk brand, with scarves of the same size at $143 on his online store :eek: . Needless to say I am thrilled with this!

Thrilled to hear about your Jim Thompson find, well done on your research! If you are ever in Bangkok do go to the Jim Thompson house and garden....it is now a museum, (and shop). It tells a fascinating story of JT's life and work in developing the silk trade in Thailand, and his mysterious end! I couldn't afford to buy anything from the shop at the time of my visit but recently I have found a JT silk scarf, a man's silk tie and a t-shirt all in chazzas and don't think I paid more than £1.50 for any of those items. My silk scarf has big exotic flowers on it....I would have loved one of the iconic 'elephant' ones!!!:o
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My local Age Concern centre has a book table - donation of 50p per book! All have been in good condition so I'm using it as a lending library for a good cause!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Ooooh....details please?? Just booked an AirB&B in Edinburgh for May! :p

https://www.changeworks.org.uk/projects/edinburgh-charity-shop-and-reuse-map

- map of c/s for Edinburgh!

Personally my fave ones for hunting/rummaging for bargains were the ones on Gorgie/Dalry Road. It's a cheaper area but apparently lots of older people so lots of lovely flowery bedding, lined curtains & vintage finds.

Morningside is the "posh" end of town so you might be lucky & get expensive bargains!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

Lordy! Lordy!
    Jim Thompson's House (museum) in Bangkok is a must-see.
    Fab bargain. :T

I think someone else bought a Jim Thompson scarf from a charity shop.
    Maybe Miro?

Some really good quality brands there.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Lordy! Lordy!
    Jim Thompson's House (museum) in Bangkok is a must-see.
    I remember little about it other than it was very humid, built on stilts and the young ladies giving the tour dated every exhibit with the suffix "cen-tur-eeee!".
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 February 2018 at 10:29PM
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    https://www.changeworks.org.uk/projects/edinburgh-charity-shop-and-reuse-map

- map of c/s for Edinburgh!

Personally my fave ones for hunting/rummaging for bargains were the ones on Gorgie/Dalry Road. It's a cheaper area but apparently lots of older people so lots of lovely flowery bedding, lined curtains & vintage finds.

Morningside is the "posh" end of town so you might be lucky & get expensive bargains!

Thank you so much, we are staying somewhere near the Festival Theatre so hope some near there! Oooooh just seen there appear to be loads on Nicolson St where th theatre is!!! :j
  • foxyloxy11
    Options
    I have had quite an amazing charity shop day today. I came home with so many lovely items.

Phyllis Tuckwell:
    An olive Cath Kidston blouse with a first white, pink and blue floral print- £3.50
    A lovely sherpa-lined navy Crew Clothing hoodie- £7. Absolutely love this, I'm wearing it now and I am very toasty warm :D

Oxfam:
    A BNWOT off-white thick-knit The White Company waterfall cardigan- £14.99. I know, I know, it's a really pricey item, but it is immaculate and I love it so much, plus it would have been anywhere from £110 to £179 brand new, judging by similar ones on the website :eek:

Cancer Research:

WOW! What a haul, Wish i was shopping with you today.
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options

Phyllis Tuckwell:

Oxfam:

Cancer Research:

WOW almost a whole new wardrobe :D:o:p;):T
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business