The mindful MFW: A healthy, happy journey to a mortgage free life!

Options

Comments

• museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 April 2018 at 7:49PM
    Options
    Thanks all, the car is being looked at today so I have everything crossed. We can make a very good OP if it sails through, our first for a year!

Today's enough list:
    * pick new blog template
    * [STRIKE]send mum birthday card
    * passport photos for DS[/STRIKE]

Get ahead:
    [STRIKE]* washloads x3[/STRIKE]
    * put laundry away
    [STRIKE]* empty OH bag and put all bags away[/STRIKE]

DS currently playing lego so I get a few minutes to myself, we might be meeting a friend later today, just waiting to hear. Otherwise am considering a visit to use our museum membership, which we will do late afternoon to avoid the queues :money:.

OH has booked DD2 into nursery for tomorrow, its an extra £50 but having both on my own is really stressful. Both can and do go into meltdown frequently, and only one pair of hands is not enough!

Today's enough list:
    * [STRIKE]call mum to wish happy birthday[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* pick new blog template[/STRIKE] Done, ended up choosing the first one I originally liked, after spending hours since thinking about the benefits of all the others :rotfl:.
    * [STRIKE]confirm would like to attend DD1 event tomorrow
    [/STRIKE]
    Get ahead:
    * pick up another passport form as mucked one up already!
    * [STRIKE]last 3 washloads :j[/STRIKE]
    * put laundry away
    [STRIKE]* pay for self-hosting[/STRIKE] Done, my blog should be up in new format and self-hosted in next couple of days :j.
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • museumworker
    edited 12 April 2018 at 7:50PM
    Options
    Good news... car passed MOT!
    Bad news... it needed work to front and back brake pads, so including service, MOT the total was £600 :eek:!

Having checked what we spent on holiday (£590), we now have £2,500 to overpay the mortgage :j :j. Will make that call as soon as kids in bed :D.

Eta: nope, forgot about the car tax! So will be £2,400 OP, and need to call the blinking house account bank as they wouldn't allow the transfer online :mad:
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Even with the reductions, that's still a very impressive OP!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    That's a brilliant OP! :) :T x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great work, mw!

What's the balance on your mortgage now? Can't see it in your sig :)
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • museumworker
    edited 30 April 2018 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Thanks all - I'm making the payment tomorrow now as the phone transfer was just too much of a faff. Will update signature then!

I'm coming on to admit to a spendy fortnight. I have now lost all the weight I put on, and have been able to dig out all the clothes that I couldn't fit into. I've put a number of things in the charity bag, then bought the following to get my spring summer wardrobe ready:
    * gold brogues in Clarks sale
    * cropped leggings to go with tunic dress I already own (Mr A)
    * a tank top from JL (All saints, bloody beautiful and so soft!)
    * 2 more heat gen tops for next winter, half price
    * new camisoles from Primarni to replace the ones I've had since my last pregnancy!
    * skinny jeans (don't fit second hand ones from Jan any more)
    * dungarees
    * second hand t0pshop mannish blazer

Last two I bought today with the 20% student discount in T0pshop. It has all mounted up though to £180 :eek:! Part of me feels very guilty and the other part of me realises that I've bought reduced, and to fill identified gaps in my wardrobe. I'm also seeing it as part of my self-care, I now have a wardrobe of things which fit, are in good condition, and I feel good about myself when I put them on. I definitely have enough to see me through summer, although my favourite navy tshirt has stains which might not come out, so may need to replace it.

I've also had to do a bit of targeted shopping for the kids, DD2 grew from age 2-3 clothing in Nov to now age 4 and even 5!! I had quite a lot of things second hand for this age so have bagged up all the too small stuff, and bought a few cropped leggings so the shorter dresses can be tunics.

DD1 is now the proud owner of four less teeth :eek: :rotfl:!

We also spent £150 at the garden centre. :o We will be growing strawberries, courgettes, sunflowers and tomatoes with the kids this year, got our front window boxes done for the summer and added 5 more plants to our border.

Now about to clean and tidy house, it'll be my workout and hopefully keep the need for a cleaner at bay!

To do this weekend:
    * update YNAB mostly done, just need to link credit card AGAIN
    * [STRIKE]confirm Cardiff house swap[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]confirmed, just need to do the admin around it[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]5[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]3 washloads[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]museum trip SUN [/STRIKE]
    * charity run SAT moved to next week
    * take shoes to cobblers SAT ditto
    * publish 1x blogpost ditto
    * [STRIKE]plant seeds with kids SAT[/STRIKE] done, and really enjoyable
    * [STRIKE]confirm school place DD2[/STRIKE]
    * sign exchange contract for Oct half term changes needed
    * [STRIKE]friends bday evening in SAT[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]buy gift / card for friend SAT
    * collect package SAT[/STRIKE]
    * contact holiday childcare carried over
    * pay DS party carried over
  • Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £180 on clothes isn't anything to worry about especially if it includes shoes. Clarks shoes last for ages so good investment. Love the sound of the garden!
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • museumworker
    Options
    Courgette wrote: »
    £180 on clothes isn't anything to worry about especially if it includes shoes. Clarks shoes last for ages so good investment. Love the sound of the garden!

Thanks Courgette, I do get a few years out of them generally and I realise cheap shoes are a false economy! I suppose having done a £100 clothing challenge for a few years that is my dream clothing budget, but realistically for a family of 5, and given my changing weight, that isn't doable right now. The two youngest shoes alone cost about £250 a year :eek::eek:. I do try and buy as much clothing second hand as I can find, but as they get older it's harder as less survives as kids are in it longer. Otherwise I buy from Hennes or Primarni, so hardly extravagant. It just all adds up so quickly! YNAB tells me we've spent £750 on clothing since Jan alone :eek::eek:, so if we can slow down that would be great. £1200 for the whole year for all 5 of us would be good, and hopefully less next year. I do have new uniform to buy for 2x kids this September though :eek:.

Mortgage OP made, new mortgage balance now £89,167.20 :j:j:j
    Into the 8x,xxx at last!

I've brought current account up to date in YNAB, just need to sync the credit card.

Garden is very exciting, since we did the work on it two years ago we are enjoying it so much more. It is like having a whole new room in the summer and the kids love pottering in it. Shame about the rain today :mad:.

Doing v little with DD2 today, I think we're both exhausted. Too much telly so better get us dressed, maybe a library trip after we've collected DS1 will assuage the guilt!
  • museumworker
    Options
    Went to our local outdoor playgroup in between the downpours. £2 and some good advice on holiday childcare for DS which we will follow up this weekend. Had an impromptu play date after school pick up which ended with DD2 lying on the wet street with no shoes or coat on :mad:.

I realise I am really undermining myself here, I come on to berate myself about buying new clothes whilst I'm about to pay £2,400 off the mortgage!

OH and I had an interesting revelation last night - if we continue to pay into his pension as agressively as we have been this last year, potentially in 15 or so years he will be at the maximum pension pot limit :eek:! Ideally in 15 years when the youngest is at uni we could let our home and geoarbitrage to somewhere much cheaper in the world / travel for a while. When his pension is ready a few years later, we can take the tax free lump sum to buy somewhere cheap and quiet, have a decent pension, and rental income from our home too. We are doing quite a lot right, and I need to remember that.

I forgot to mention we found a trashed but beautiful mid century teak chest of drawers in the street the other day. I convinced OH to get out of bed and carry it home in his pjs :rotfl:! We are planning to remove the varnish and either restain, or as last resort, paint. I had just been thinking the day before how we needed a chest of drawers for DD2 later this summer when we do her room, had thought we would have to get some for £100 from Ikea but these have much more personality and are FREE!
  • museumworker
    Options
    Woohoo, just secured a bed for DS room for £3.50, saving nearly £280!

Our bedroom revamps WILL be done as cost effectively as possible.

Next search: a desk for £10-15.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport