win 7 availability?

Searching the forum I can only find old posts.
Can anyone say if a kosher win 7 is still available, install disk/image etc? This is for some elderly PCs that most likely would not do well with win 10.

I know old hat, limited support time....no idea if licence keys are held......but that is what I have been asked and do not know the answer!!

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The install disks are still available download from Microsoft:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

The licences on the other hand, there are a few floating around on eBay relatively cheaply (these tend to be old VLK keys)
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    Thanks Neil.

...I bet the licence key will be the big issue but will pass on the info.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I bought one last week (die W10, die). Make sure it is from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon and you should be ok.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012R0GTDM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Thanks Neil.

...I bet the licence key will be the big issue but will pass on the info.

Are these brand named machines? If so, which models?
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,201 Forumite
    Note that you need the HDD to be NTFS format, or WIN7 will not install.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    LHW99 wrote: »
    Note that you need the HDD to be NTFS format, or WIN7 will not install.

You can do this from the setup screens in Windows 7 installation, you don't need to do this beforehand.

And installing on FAT32 drives hasn't been possible since Vista came out in 2006.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    I think they will be (but do not know), Everywhere, as they are surplus machines from an organisation that has updated it's hardware, I understand. Most likely Dell or HP.
  • Just Google Windows 7 ISO - plenty of places to download it. (for example https://softlay.net/operating-system/windows-7-all-in-one-iso-free-download-32-64-bit.html)

Then just buy a cheap key off eBay for a few pounds and you are sorted.

Windows 7 still receives updates from Microsoft until 2020.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Updates stopping doesn't stop an operating system from working. If you look at some of the old Optiplex systems for sale (as refurbished) some come with XP and work just fine.

W7 going out of support is not the issue for me. Its when Google stops supporting Chrome for W7 and I get blocked from online banking/Amazon etc. This happened to me with Vista, which I used happily on this computer for about 8 years. Now Vista wasn't a popular OS but W7 is still in widespread use. I'm hoping for Browser support for longer than 2020. Fingers crossed.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Xbigman wrote: »
    Updates stopping doesn't stop an operating system from working. If you look at some of the old Optiplex systems for sale (as refurbished) some come with XP and work just fine.

W7 going out of support is not the issue for me. Its when Google stops supporting Chrome for W7 and I get blocked from online banking/Amazon etc. This happened to me with Vista, which I used happily on this computer for about 8 years. Now Vista wasn't a popular OS but W7 is still in widespread use. I'm hoping for Browser support for longer than 2020. Fingers crossed.

Darren

I never said you can't use Windows 7 beyond 2020. Also Opera browser (which uses Chromium backend also my default browser) still supports Windows Vista and Firefox Extended Support Release still supports Vista until atleast June 2018.

Windows 7 will still be supported by the major browsers for a long time yet as Windows 7 still has a major user share.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure