Iphone completely dead - where do I stand?

Options
32gb Iphone 7 on contract with EE. Contract started 7th December 2016, so the phone is 1 year 4 months old.

I did nothing.. the phone was fine. I put it on my bedside table and went to sleep. Woke up in a panic this morning because my alarm hadnt gone off, to discover a dead phone. I took it to a local shop who run some tests and determined it's not the battery or the screen, it's just completely died.

EE told me i can upgrade early for £229 (not a chance), or send it off for repair at an unknown cost. This will take about 2 weeks minimum.

Alternatively Apple do out of warranty repair for about £350 (again, not a chance).

Contents insurance isn't possible as I am lodger and don't want to put it on my housemates insurance, losing her no claims.

Feeling very frustrated and think it's incredibly unfair that this happened at no fault of my own. Am I protected by any laws?

Comments

• John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    Protected against your electronics breaking by any laws?

No really. Goods need to be fit for purpose, and of suitable quality, but it!!!8217;s not clear that that means that a phone cannot break if it!!!8217;s had a hard life.

Why not sign up for a session at the Genius Bar, and have Apple have a look? It!!!8217;s free, and they may well fin dit!!!8217;s a simple issue.

Alternatively, have someone like iSmash have a look.
  • Stardustjunkie
    Options
    I would take it to the genius bar, but the nearest bars are about 2 hours away and a £20 train fare. Would also require a day off work.

I wasn't sure if there were some consumer rights laws about this kind of thing. It seems wrong that a phone can be faulty while it's in contract. They can prove it wasn't water damaged etc. The screen is in perfect condition too.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you tried plugging it in to a charger that's confirmed as working and just leave it for 4-5 hours? Preferably an iPad charger if you have access to one.

I've seen earlier iPhones that have been allowed to go dead when the battery totally discharges, sometimes a long charge can kick it back into life.

If that doesn't work I would the take the advice above and make a Genius Bar appointment and let them have a proper look at it.
    I would take it to the genius bar, but the nearest bars are about 2 hours away and a £20 train fare. Would also require a day off work.

Apple Stores are open 7 days a week and often till quite late during the week.
    ====
  • Stardustjunkie
    Options
    I'm having a chat with Apple right now to see if I can get them to fix it. I have also plugged it in to see if it does anything overnight. I won't get my hopes up!
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    I've had this happen on an iPhone 6. I had to leave it for a few hours on charge using a genuine charger before it would do anything...
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried a hard reset?

Press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button and Volume down simultaneously for 10 seconds.

Nothing to lose by trying.
  • Stardustjunkie
    Options
    Unfortunately a hard reset doesn't work :(
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Just because something costs an arm and a leg doesn't mean you can get it repaired free beyond the warranty period (whatever that may be). It's up to you to factor that in and decide whether it's worth the risk - and judging by the number of people appearing on here with similar problems as well as those inside the warranty period whose warranty is deemed to be void because of cracked screens etc. it's an expensive gamble.
  • The_Big_Bamboo
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Have you tried plugging it in to a charger that's confirmed as working and just leave it for 4-5 hours? Preferably an iPad charger if you have access to one.

I've seen earlier iPhones that have been allowed to go dead when the battery totally discharges, sometimes a long charge can kick it back into life.

If that doesn't work I would the take the advice above and make a Genius Bar appointment and let them have a proper look at it.

Apple Stores are open 7 days a week and often till quite late during the week.
    My wife’s iPhone did exactly that :). She charged her phone every night as a matter of course but she never checked the battery status :eek: and unbeknown to her the remaining power was draining away slowly when the battery charger failed.

One morning the phone was as dead as a dodo;…however, a known good charger resurrected it,…eventually!

It can be a bit puzzling because the iPhone didn’t even acknowledge the presence of a charger for the first 45mins or so;….it’s easy to give-up in the belief that the iPhone is totally goosed.

However, once fully charged all was well thereafter.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Aren!!!8217;t you covered by the 2 year eu consumer law?
    I had an 18 month old 5s refunded for this reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure