Employer agreed to extend my notice, now I need out!

Comments

• Karma can be such a b!tch sometimes.

Your employers were good enough to let you stay on (yes it might have been in their interests as well as yours but so what?) and now you want to back track on just because it suits you.

Posts like this reminds me that employees aren't always blameless
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    1) I have informed the new employer of the full details of my situation.
    2) Respect is earnt, not assumed (it worked in my employer's interest to retain me while they found a replacement).
    3) You are not aware of the reasons for my resignation/acceptance of a new job.
    4) Think before you speak when replying to someone speaking advice.

Regardless, your notice is 4 weeks so you can give it now and end a little earlier but if you just up and leave then don't expect any favours from them...ie reference.

There is a very slim chance they could sue you for breach of contract, its highly unlikely but not unheard of.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper

I am seeking advice, not criticism based on assumptions.

We can only comment based on assumption because you chose not to provide full information about your situation.. Whether you see that as advice or criticism is entirely down to you.
    If you are going to get stroppy when people don't give you the answer you are looking for I suggest that next time you simply look into a mirror and ask the question of the person there. Presumably they will give the answer you want.
    The reality is that there's probably very little you current employer can to in practice if you just walk out on them. However, if the new employer terminates your employment, you may need a reference again from your current employer. Walk out on them and the chances of getting a positive reference disappear. Whether you like to acknowledge the fact or not, you made an agreement with your current employer to work until a certain date. They didn't have to agree to extending your notice and this is how you intend to show your appreciation.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    1) I have informed the new employer of the full details of my situation. so why won't they wait until your contract expires
    2) Respect is earnt, not assumed (it worked in my employer's interest to retain me while they found a replacement). how do you plan to earn respect from either your current or future employer by messing one or both of them about?
    3) You are not aware of the reasons for my resignation/acceptance of a new job. And don't need to be, you're the one with the alleged conundrum
    4) Think before you speak when replying to someone speaking advice.What advice are you "speaking"? In the meantime, I refer you to your own point 2 above.

Another poster who is the architect of their own situation and don't care their actions may cause problems for existing employees who might need to ask for similar favours of their employers.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    I'd have thought that changing your end date and ensuring you could continue to pay rent/mortgage would have been enough to earn your respect.

:(
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 April 2018 at 12:17PM
    Regardless, your notice is 4 weeks so you can give it now and end a little earlier but if you just up and leave then don't expect any favours from them...ie reference.

They are serving their notice already.

Their contractual notice is 4 weeks, but they have already agreed to a longer notice period. They can't turn round after agreeing that and insist on 4 weeks, any more than an employer could insist on a full 3 months contractual notice after they have agreed a shorter one.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    :snow_laug:snow_grin:snow_laug
  • I didn't agree to it, verbally or in writing. I was simply presented with a letter which states "it has been explained" and "you have agreed to" - nothing had been explained, and my agreement can only be inferred by my continuing to work beyond my initial 4 week notice.

I am seeking advice, not criticism based on assumptions.

But you said in the OP that you had asked for an extension to your notice period and your employer agreed. Having asked for the extension, how have you not agreed to it?
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    To me, this dilemma isn't so much about employment law or your rights etc., but more about where your moral compass points.

If you got an extension on your notice period (which sounds more than reasonable from your current employers), this now becomes your new notice period. If you advised this to your new prospective employer, they presumably accepted it if they offered you the job. If you ditch on your former employer - what sort of message does that give to your new bosses about your reliability, principles and work ethic?

When asked when you could start, your answer should have been that you're 'serving notice until x date and you fully intend to honour that, so won't be available until y date'. Any employer that wouldn't accept that at face value would concern me about their moral compass too.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think someones a bit of a knob jockey.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport