PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    selloptape wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm aiming for £290 this month.

I've meal planned for next week - trying to follow SW and budgeting is a little challenging. I've previously relied on a lot of expensive soft fruits and lean meats so trying to find cheaper options. Luckily I love a lot of veggie meals :)

Monday - Cajun dirty rice
    Tues - l/o Cajun dirty rice
    Weds - sesame tofu and steamed veg
    Thurs - sesame tofu and steamed veg
    Fri - rice and lentils

Good luck everyone x

Would.you mind sharing your first two recipes please. I'm vegan and they sound perfect for a change. I've tofu out at the moment too.( I prefer it frozen, then defrosted). Thanks :o
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • GunShotResidue
    Options
    Can I join please?

Aiming for £140

I've already spent £29.something in the butchers last week for this month, I'll round it up to £30 as I'll be taking the remaining £110 out in cash. I did pop back into the butchers today and spent £21.99, but that will be coming out of June's budget as I already had enough meat in the freezer to last until the 5th of June! They do some really good offers, I have portioned what I bought today into 17 meals (each for 2 adults and 2 toddlers), so they cost £1.30ish each.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Nipped into Asd@ after work tonight. Picked up a bag of Richm0nd frozen meatballs. Paid £1.50, but I'll be getting that money back though an app on my phone so nothing to add to my spends ;)

Opened the bag when I got home (before putting into my freezer), and I reckon they'll do 4 meals - so that's a meal for each week this month once I sort out some pasta sauce (either need to buy onions so I can make some, or need to buy a cheap ready made sauce - undecided as of yet).

And when moving a few bits round in freezer to make space for those and 4 portions of the mince and baked beans concoction I cooked and had last night (one per week, including one when I'm also feeding OH) I found some batch cooked meals I'd forgotten about! I think they're bolognese sauce, but there's an outside chance they're chilli. I'll find out tomorrow as I currently have one defrosting in my fridge for tea ;) Also have enough of those for one per week including one when I'm feeding OH. Just need a garlic baguette for when I do it for both of us, and something for my 2 other individuals. Pulling some small part baked rolls out of the freezer for tomorrow, which I'll slice and fill with a non-dairy garlic spread before baking.

So my weekly menus for this month may be boringly the same (and very heavy on the red meat which I've been trying to cut back on this year), but they'll require very little spending which is the name of the game for May. I have enough burgers (including a lot of veggie ones) and buns for weekly (need chips), enough mince & beans concoction (have everything), enough sausage and ? (have various savoury rices, but may get spuds to make mash with some), enough bolognese/chilli (whichever it is I need garlic bread or part baked rolls), the meatballs I got today (just need to sort a sauce), and enough fish of various types (and plenty of suitably flavoured packs of couscous to go with some, may fancy baby boiled spuds with others). That's potentially 6 meals for each week, and I have various options that should make up the 7th but without having enough to have more than once or twice in the month - may well be able to swap out one or two of the meals I currently have down as a weekly opton each week, which will mean at least the first week (possibly fortnight) of June will also be sorted ;)

Just need to meal plan for the week away, and try and base as much of it as possible around what I have in. We're definitely having rabbit casserole one day (got the diced rabbit at the food festival, so that's already in my freezer), lamb steaks (positive I have enough in freezer), and salmon (I know I have enough in freezer). If I don't use more than a couple in the next few weeks I also have enough chicken breasts to do something with. Probably have enough pork steaks as well. Can't do anything with tomatoes or tomato sauce, as one of my GDs won't eat it - won't even eat pizza because of the sauce! I suspect the big spends for that week will be milk for the 3 girls (cereal and drinks), fruit (2 of them love their fruit, especially the more expensive ones!), and part baked rolls, cold meats and cheese for packed lunches.

I'm on loan to a different office tomorrow, which is near a discount food store. When I was there last Friday I picked up some very cheap (because they're well out of date) sweets which are fantastic. I'm hoping to get finished before they close tomorrow so I can go and get some more if they have any left (I was there today but wasn't done in time). At 10 x 100g bags for £1 that will definitely help stretch my £1/week allowance for evening sweet treats ;)
    Cheryl
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Starting on Monday & running through to the 31st, and feeding 5 adults, 2 cats, 2 manic kittens, 2 cockatiels, 6 chickens, 6 bantams and 3 bantam chicks!

I read this and sang, “And a partridge in a pear tree!” :rotfl:
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    3 NSD's in a row.. :T
    Think it'll be Saturday before we need milk or bread too!
    Planning an easy re-heat meal for the boys as I'm working late tonight.
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi
    First update for May, and I have added £11.05 to the cat spend, getting some cat litter, flix pouches and dry food from Sains. I also got a YS malt loaf as a treat, had a couple of slices for pudding last night and will again tonight. I have a long train journey on Friday and will take some for a snack with a flask of coffee to stop me spending on the expensive railway snacks. Although years ago I got a Bite card through MSE which I still use to get 10% off coffee from the platform shops, so may use this on the way home when the flask coffee will be yucky. Thank you MSE.:j
    The food spend of £4.03 was eggs and fruit in Aidl. Still ok for main parts of main meals from the fridge, cupboards and freezer. Jacket potato with tuna and salad tonight to use up the last of the lettuce, tomatoes and carrot..
    Oh, and I bought some new comfy shoes for work as the old ones had a hole in the sole (which was letting in water).:rotfl:
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £298.98/1200
  • NeverendingDMP
    NeverendingDMP Posts: 1,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm up to 146.40 out of 390 so far and have shopping to get for this week. Will update as I go.x
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    First spend of the month on fruit and veg, dairy free spread, garlic bread and hash browns, came to £10.47
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Apologies for posting almost daily, I'm just really determined to keep track of the spends this month. I'll calm down soon I'm sure :p

So another spend at Sainsbugs today - I'm certainly getting around the shops this month and it is still only 3rd May. I bought about £15 of food - more sweet treats - but also onions and mushrooms for the spaghetti sauce. And just under £15 of toiletries and stuff for DH and myself, that should be it for a little while.

I need to order a delivery again soon as I find shopping every day exhausting, but as the cupboards were full it seemed crazy to get a huge order in.

Current Totals: £88.24/300
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Supersaver1000, don't worry about posting just about daily; it really helps to keep track! I tend not to post on NSDs, but I do post just about whenever I've spent money on groceries, or I know from long experience that I will just forget to add things, and then I can't work out where all the money's gone...

And today, I certainly have spent... total updated to £127.29 after a visit to the wholesalers and L!dls. Hopefully I'm "all in" for non-perishables for the month, but there's bound to be something I've forgotten, even though I did actually remember my list!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure