* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Sorry to hear you are having a bad week so far Gettingtherequickly and thoughts are with you. It is never nice to have news like that.

Hope you can enjoy your lunch out though
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    GTQ that's very sad. I think when people who have meant something to us move away they don't impact on our daily lives so much but they're still part of our lives so when something like this happens the pain is still there. My best friend died 10 years ago this year and I still miss her even though she'd moved to Greece and I only saw her once or twice a year. Losing your friend with leukaemia so suddenly when he seemed to be doing well must have been a shock especially coming so close to your other friend, I know how it feels because my Dad died the night of my best friend's funeral. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself to feel whatever you feel, there are no right and wrong reactions.

Welcome to the thread XIRONSONGX we're a bit quiet at the moment but we can be a lively bunch :D

GYD you sound positive and I like your plan, you're a determined lady and I bet this Christmas will be lovely.

FREE the book sounds thought provoking, I'll be interested to see what you make of it too. Another thoughtful action from DS. :)

MRSINVISIBLE hope you're ok and just busy and that everything is fine chez invis.

Nothing festive here, a bit of crafting (some more successful than others) and lots of financial organising so I'm feeling very much in control at the moment. Bedroom is finished and I love how it feels all calm and tranquil. Just need the rain to stop now, I'm hoping Feb will be drier and a bit brighter than January.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • jakes-mum
    jakes-mum Posts: 4,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone :wave:

So sorry for your losses GTQ :(

Glad to hear those that were ill are on the mend, re the flu/cold conversation, DH had his MOT with the doc a couple of weeks ago, Doc read his notes and went 'you've had Pneumonia 5 TIMES!?!?' seems people tend to only get it once or twice if they are unlucky. DH suffered a collapsed lung on his first bout of pneumonia and has been rediculously suseptable to it ever since. Each time he sneezes we're all on high alert :( Everytime he gets a cold, it turns into something much worse, chest infections are the best outcome in this house for him :(

Well I think the gods are upset with me at the minute! Less than 2 weeks before christmas, DH's PIP form hit the mat with christmas day as the return by date! Week later, mine hits the mat with a return date of 29th Dec! Ring DWP and point out that no-one including them work over the christmas period that can help me with the forms, get them extended to the 8th and 12th of january. Benefits advice people don't return till the 5th and come out that day, fill them in and send them off for us.

Get a letter on the 24th Jan saying DH's PIP has been stopped as they didnt get his form till the 17th :eek: ring them up, first bloke veeeeery unhelpful and says its now a whole new claim and we have to wait 16 weeks for DH to be reassessed. DH now in a blind panic (has anxiety and depression so this just sent him over the edge) I re ring and speak to a much more helpful person who listens to what happened and said 'but why didnt they give you 4 weeks, we can do that with permission from a senior member of staff at this time of year . .', puts me through to reconsiderations who has a look and reinstates the claim as there was absolutely nothing we could do to get it there any quicker (as a side note, mine arrived on the 11th! they were sent at the same time from the same place!'

I then think, yeah! finally through it and my blumin ESA renewal form has just landed on the mat today :( The PIP forms have wiped me out so doing the ESA one is filling me with dread, if they send DH's on monday I swear I will curl up in a ball and cry :(

Well i'm off to read a book I think or maybe try and start my sons blanket (not sure im up to that though). Stay warm everyone, its still a bit cold out there!
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) £1779.72/£1000 (12) £1596.55/£1000 (13) £1534.70/£1000 (14) £775.60/£1000 (15) £700.20/£1000 (16) £2081.34/£1000 (17) £0/£1000
  • Peppapig
    JAKESMUM that sounds like a nightmare. I get stressed enough with DH's PIP form (not the filling it in but all the associated aggravation). I don't think I could cope if I had another claim and ESA to think about.
  • jakes-mum I was in a similar position at the end of 2016 as the form came in with a deadline of the end of December and the earliest appointment that I could obtain with the Citizens Advice was in January. I managed to get an extension but I think that they should give you 6 or 8 weeks to complete the form as standard because you lose a week waiting on the form coming in the post. :mad:
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • Hi all! Sometimes I get so far behind on this thread that it puts me off coming back on as I can’t catch up, then I tell myself I don’t need to catch up and it’s ok just to come on and say hi! Squeak has had back to back heavy colds in January which kept us very occupied day and night! We did manage to have a lovely week in Center Parcs in January though and we were so lucky with the weather. One big thing in January is that we applied for Wiggle’s school place in September, I literally cannot believe it! It only feels like yesterday that I announced his birth to you all and now we’re applying for his school place! :eek: He’s an August baby so will be one of the youngest, it seems funny to think that if he’d been born a month later I’d have him at home for another year. I’ve also booked their Christening in April so I’ve got to get organised for that. I really want to get organised now as I always end up leaving things last minute then getting stressed!

One of the first mums that I met when I moved here a couple of years ago who went on to become a good friend is emigrating to Australia today so I’m a bit sad. :( She’s going because her husband is Australian and has lived here for over 10 years so they planned to move there before their eldest daughter (and Wiggle’s friend) starts school. Her husband’s parents are much older than hers so they wanted them to spend some time with their grandchildren. The plan was to move back here when the oldest starts secondary school but I have a sneaky feeling that won’t happen, I’m sure it’s a lovely quality of life over there.

Anyway I hope you’re all doing well, sorry if I’ve missed any big news. xx
  • Peppapig
    Lovely to see you PK, I don't worry when you don't come on here because I know how busy life can be with two little ones but it's good to see you when you do. It's amazing how quickly the years go by, I still think of Wiggle as being a bubby. Enjoy every day, before you know it Squeak will be off to school too.
  • LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    GTQ - sorry to hear your sad news.

I've been on and off here over the last few weeks, reading but not had much to update so stayed quiet :)

I've carried on trying to be as productive as possible I've sorted loads of things out around the house, chucked so much out & freed up storage for other things that were really just getting in the way because they had no real home. I have also done a bit of ebaying, which has been a mixture of success & not so successful. The worst thing about selling stuff on ebay though is getting it all to the post office, I hate it!

I bought some perfumes the other day that were 70% off, so have put them away now. I did buy them to give to my sisters for Christmas, but actually think I'll give them for birthdays & just get something for Christmas closer to the time.

We are going away for the weekend at the end of this month, I am so looking forward to it :)
  • Peppa oh I know, as tough as it is now they will both be at school soon and I’ll miss it I’m sure! How do people get through their children starting school? I’m already getting really emotional about Wiggle! Because all the play groups stop in the school holidays I realised that I’ve only got until the end of June then I won’t take Wiggle to any play groups anymore! :eek: I can’t believe it.

LMG oh I know what you mean about getting ebay stuff to the post office! I really like ebaying when I sell stuff, but the whole process about uploading photos and typing up descriptions and packaging and posting is so time consuming, especially if something doesn’t go for very much. I’ve got a big bag of stuff in my spare room waiting to be ebayed! I’ll get around to it one day I’m sure…:p Oooh where are you going away to?

GTQ I had a look back and I’m so sorry to hear what has happened to two people you know, how awful for them and for you. These things are never easy especially when they’re so young. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t seen someone for a long time it is still a shock and very upsetting. An old school friend of DH’s who he hadn’t seen for years died a couple of years ago and it really knocked DH. Sending lots of big hugs to you. xx

Brrr it’s cold today! I’ve had a fairly productive morning; dropped Wiggle off at pre-school, got some shopping, came home and sorted out some of Squeak’s room, tidied the kitchen, made some mango puree (we’re on the weaning journey), made lunch and got DH to hang some pictures in Squeak’s room. Squeak has just gone down for a nap so I’m having a cup of coffee, a sit down and a catch up!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    GTQ so sorry to hear your sad news, life can be very harsh sometimes but I try and think that those no longer with us would want us to take their passing as a reason to try and make the most of every day (gosh that sounds like some awfully cheesy motivational poster..sorry :o) People don't need to be physically close for them to still be a part of your life. My best friend has emigrated to Oz several times and when she got married out there a few years ago I told OH we were going as I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Speaking of which PK with facetime / skype and all the other things, Oz isn't as far as it used to be. Perhaps you can arrange some silly things like both going for coffee and video calling each other while you drink them :)

Big hugs to all those who are having tying times too. It's a funny time of the year - I always think once all the festivities die down people can feel a little empty and with all this 'new year resolution' stuff its like we're under pressure to suddenly make life changing decisions to affirm our being.

I found a lovely little image inline that said 'New Year, Same Me, because I think I am fine just the way I am ...and so are you'
    Every time I see it, it makes me smile.

Well not so much happening on the Xmas front now - I packed all my prezzies away for next year- though did get a couple of items for my SIL which might become this years...and what I had got her for this year might become next years...is that really ahead :eek:

I did get two Spiderman backpacks in L!dl today for two little boys - they're about the same age, DN and a friends little boy. They've got an embossed Spiderman on the front which I thought looked quite good and they would like and I thought they'd be useful for things like nursery. I had a look at others online and they all seemed more expensive and not necessarily as nice so for £4.99 I though they were a good buy.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family