• atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dont forget the war?
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    I do wish people would be franker and use German for the kind of "leadership" they often have in mind. Führerprinzip.
    Godwin!
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Happy Birthday ML.
    20 years ago near my 51st decisions Had been made about my future that I only had suspicions about. When a year later the axe fell having planned myself to get out it was still a great shock.
    Now looking back with nearly 19 years of very happy retirement under my belt I realise that if I had not been pushed I would also have plodded on for who knows how many years.
    So ML I have some sympathy with your position. It is difficult to jump of the high board, some of us have to be pushed.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • I've read through a number of pages on this thread and was wondering if anybody had any recommendations on the best software package to use to run the numbers in planning for early retirement.

Early on in the thread (back in 2010!) a number of people were recommending Microsoft Money but this has now been discontinued and it not supported by Microsoft.

Are there any other tools that people use or have you created your own spreadsheets?

Thanks in advance
  • I have created my own spreadsheet but also use https://www.retireeasy.co.uk which I find very good.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I've used retireeasy and an American one - sorry, can't remember name, but ran lots of scenarios including the Monte Carlo effect. However they were all meaningless until I'd done my own spreadsheet and really got to grips with what amounts I'd be getting and when, and making my own assumptions on return and drawdown rates.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • You might be talking about firecalc perhaps?
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    You might be talking about firecalc perhaps?
    Yup, thanks, that was it :T. I literally broke it when I used it, took the developer a few days to fix it :o.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Over five years since I started this thread - hard to believe. Even harder to believe that I'm still working?

I'd always planned / expected to retire at 50 but ....looking back on my spreadsheets and calculations I realise that whilst it would have been doable, we might have been left with the situation where we would have depleted our savings to a level that might have felt a bit uncomfortable.

Delaying a little has given us a much bigger pot of money (my calculations were actually quite conservative when it came to wealth accumulation) so now I suspect we can take early retirement relatively comfortably.

The only think that holds us back now is picking the right moment. We've earmarked 1 October 2016 but ....as I sit here today, I'm not sure I can hang on that long. The good thing is we're finally clear that the time to take the jump is getting very close.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    thank goodness for that, I feel most of us want and need you to go very soon - to spend some money and time chasing some dreams. Terrible to not make best use of the opportunity, however I appreciate that it's the dreams that you may be a bit short of....
    :j;)
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback