Japanese knotweed has started

Been here for 7 years, never been a problem.

Now to present right now, in starting to see what I believe is Japanese knotweed starting to grow through the gaps of the paving slabs, roughly about 5 about an inch so far.

Any ideas how to get rid safely?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It's a professional job , nothing "over the counter" is strong enough
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Where's it spread from? I'd be surprised to see it just pop up from under paving.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Where's it spread from? I'd be surprised to see it just pop up from under paving.

I believe the next neighbour, I remember they had a jungle last year, all cut back down now before new tenants moved in. A mate mentioned it last year and told me what it was and I said I have never seen it here, just random normal weeds.

Now I have the early reddish leaves growing right next to the wall of the neighbour.
  • Debbie_Savard
    Debbie_Savard Posts: 430 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2018 at 7:30PM
    Get some Ammonium Sulphamate to use as compost accelerator, sadly many people are careless and spill it all over their paving and driveway ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lancelot-Mistral-Ammonium-Sulphamate-1Kg/dp/B004MMOEH2
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Cutting it down is futile - it just grows back again.

Seriously dosing it with glyphosate will knock it back, but you may not kill it in one spray. That's especially true if it's coming from next door.

The only chemical-free method I know is to dig and dig until you've got every last bit out. But any roots you dig up may grow again if dropped, so you need to either meticulously sieve them all out, or sterilise all the soil with heat.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I found this on Amazon, will give this a go, not expecting instant results but if it helps
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01BY4FFPK/
  • ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We had some of this a few years ago and went into panic mode.

I found some decent links online (and on the forums here) where I think the national trust eradicated huge areas by injecting it into the stems once it had grown.

It then took the weedkiller back and absorbed it into the plant.
    We tried it and it seemed to work pretty well.

In the areas we just ripped it out it kept coming back.
    Secret seems to be let it grow and then inject when shoots are finger thickness. Keep on top of it and its seems to go away or at least slow down.

The scare stories of no mortgages being offered and the house being ripped down that you see in the daily mail are worse case scenarios.

Since then I tend to see Japanese knotweed everywhere. Its pretty endemic to this country now and isnt going away anytime soon.
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    What make you think it's Japanese knotweed??

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    ukjoel wrote: »
    Secret seems to be let it grow and then inject when shoots are finger thickness. Keep on top of it and its seems to go away or at least slow down.

The problem many people will have is getting hold of syringes & needles - Most pharmacies run a free needle exchange programme for the local drug addicts. Just pop in and ask for a 5ml needle kit (it's what I do when I need some).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If injecting it, the best time to do that is just before it goes dormant in autumn, not now.

This is because the plant sends nutrients in its stems down to the root sections just prior to the tops dying-off for winter. The glyphosate then goes deeper.

In late spring, spraying will at least knock it back, but wait until you have a decent amount of it to hit, as absorption is linked to surface area.

If the neighbour has it, it's going to be a constant battle. While it's illegal for them to allow its spread onto your property, you may not wish to go down a legal route. The best result might come from persuading the landlord/ tenants to allow you access to treat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure