PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge

Comments

• rinabean
    rinabean Posts: 359
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been using this challenge to work out what we really eat - and therefore would save money by buying in quantity - and what just lingers at the back of the cupboard until it goes off. Chocolate is not ever one of the second category, so even if I'm eating down the cupboards it gets bought fairly regularly. Now, my favourite for a long time has been Aldi's Moser Roth in the orange and almond flavour, as it was good value for a really nice vegan chocolate bar. But I've just seen on the little wrapper that it "contains milk" - and sure enough the ingredients now include lactose! I'm so annoyed! Why did they change the recipe? :mad: Chocolate is far too serious to be messed around with like this :(

It's already hard enough to find "dark" chocolate bars that aren't actually either totally bitter, very expensive or secretly milk chocolate!

On a happier note, I've been making a lot of pastry recently - good for using up leftovers :) I can recommend this recipe, but it needs more salt (maybe just because I had to add quite a bit of flour to get it to behave initially). It's a really nice result for a relatively small amount of fat, and it doesn't need "margarine", which is good if you're trying to avoid the shops. But you really must let it rest! I have good pastry hands so I normally ignore that instruction with impunity, but it's necessary with this recipe. Its success relies heavily on the sufficient development of the gluten - you will struggle to roll it out if you don't wait.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    rinabean wrote: »
    It's already hard enough to find "dark" chocolate bars that aren't actually either totally bitter, very expensive or secretly milk chocolate!

The Tesco value plain chocolate appears to be vegan, and it's cheap - 30p for 100g. It's only 40% cocoa so it's not bitter like a lot of dark chocolate - which makes it inedible for me. In fact I went off chocolate when I became vegan because I just don't like the really dark stuff.
  • rinabean
    rinabean Posts: 359
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Justamum wrote: »
    The Tesco value plain chocolate appears to be vegan, and it's cheap - 30p for 100g. It's only 40% cocoa so it's not bitter like a lot of dark chocolate - which makes it inedible for me. In fact I went off chocolate when I became vegan because I just don't like the really dark stuff.

I don't like the very dark stuff, either! Nice for baking but the highest I can stand to eat alone is 70%, and that's just occasionally. I'm alright for the time being, I've got some Aldi's Dairyfine dark chocolate which seems to be free of milk (for now :mad:), it's about 90p for 200g, and more sugar than chocolate, which is how I like it! I can't often get to a Tesco but I will look for the chocolate there, thank you :D
  • I've been reading too - some of the recipes sound lovely! :)
    Kittikins wrote: »
    Fabulous recipes, thank you :)

Glad to have you on board!!! :D

Rinabean....not sure if they are still available but Sainsburys did do a 'milk' choccie bar which was suitable for vegans....can't remember who actually made it though :o possibly in their 'free from' range...

I love green and blacks ginger choccie and the cherry one too!! must admit that I don't tend to eat a lot of choc so haven't checked it recently to see if it is still okay...never has been one of my favourite things ....

I do find it incredibly frustrating though when recipes suddenly change and the things that were okay are not anymore....especially when there appears to be no reason at all to change it :mad: it really increases the time it takes to shop and considering how much I hate shopping :eek:...... not impressed :D
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
  • This weeks recipes:

Pea & Ginger Cannelloni

6oz (about 16 tubes) cannelloni
    12 oz frozen peas
    1tbs olive oil
    1 large onion finely chopped
    1 clove garlic finely chopped
    1tsp cumin seeds
    1tbs grated fresh root ginger
    1tbs lemon juice
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1tbs soy sauce

Cook peas as directed on packet. Heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic for 5 mins, add the cumin, ginger and peas and cook gently for 5 mins. Add the lemon juice and enough water to make a moist mix. Remove from heat and season to taste. Stuff cannelloni tubes with mixture, putting into a greased ovenproof dish when filled. Puree the tomatoes, soy sauce and any remaining onion mixture. Pour over cannelloni and bake in oven 190/gas 5 for 35 mins.

Spanish Potato Gratin

11 oz potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
    3tbs olive oil
    1 large onion sliced
    1 garlic clove finely chopped
    1 tin tomatoes roughly chopped
    2oz pitted green olives
    2oz pitted black olives
    1oz flat leaf finely chopped
    1oz fresh thyme leaves finely chopped
    2.5 oz brown breadcrumbs

Add potato chunks to boiling water and simmer for about 15mins until tender. Drain and return the saucepan to heat, dry potatoes over a very low heat shaking pan gently. Mash potatoes. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and saute over a moderate heat for 5 mins or until onion is soft and golden. Mix in the tomatoes, olives, half the parsley and thyme and season with salt & pepper. Spoon mixture into an ovenproof dish. Top with the mashed potatoes and scatter the breadcrumbs and remaining parsley and thyme over them. Drizzle the remaining oil over the top and bake in the oven (190/gas5) for 15 mins or until potatoes are golden.

Moroccan Pilaff

2tbs olive oil
    1 ¾ oz whole almonds roughly chopped
    1 large onion chopped
    2 carrots diced
    1 cinnamon stick
    ½ tsp ground cinnamon
    7oz long grain rice
    1 ¾ oz currants
    1 ¾ oz dried apricots
    grated zest of 1 orange
    ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
    large handful of fresh coriander leaves roughly chopped
    large handful fresh chives finely chopped

Preheat oven to 190/gas 5. Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish and saute almonds over a moderate heat for a few minutes until golden. Add the onion, carrots and cinnamon and saute for 5 mins until onion is soft and golden. Add the rice and cook for 1 min, stirring, to coat the grains. Stir I currants, apricots, orange zest and cayenne pepper and pour in 1 ¼ pts water. Season with salt and pepper and bring to boil. Transfer casserole dish to the oven, cover and cook for 40 – 45 mins until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Scatter fresh coriander and chives over pilaff and serve.

Stir fried Black Beans with Lime and Chilli

8 tortillas
    1tsp cumin seeds
    1tbs veg oil
    2 red onions sliced into rings
    2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
    1tsp ground coriander
    ½ – 1 tsp chilli powder
    5floz veg stock
    2 tins black beans (or dried and cooked equivalent)
    Juice of half a lime
    Large handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
    4 wedges fresh lime

Preheat oven to 160/gas 3. wrap tortillas in foil and warm them through in oven for 10 mins. Dry fry cumin seeds in heavy based pan over moderate heat turning/stirring frequently for a couple of minutes until the seeds start to pop and turn golden. Crush coarsely in pestle and mortar. Heat oil in large pan and saute the onions over moderate heat for 5 mins until soft and golden. Add garlic, ground coriander, crushed cumin and chilli powder and cook, stirring for a further 3 mins. Pour in the stock and simmer for about 10 mins until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the beans and heat them through. Stir in lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Divide the beans between 4 bowls and scatter coriander over them. Serve with the warm tortillas and wedges of lime.

Roasted Red Onions with Wilted Spinach and Sweet Potatoes

3 red onions peeled and cut into thin wedges
    5floz olive oil
    3 ½ fl oz balsamic vinegar
    4 large sweet potatoes
    olive oil for frying
    7oz baby spinach leaves
    salt and pepper
    balsamic vinegar for drizzling

Preheat oven to 225/gas 7. Put onions into an ovenproof dish and drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over them. Season with salt and pepper. Cover dish tightly with a lid or foil. Pierce each potato a couple of times with a skewer. Put onions and potatoes into oven and bake for 1 hour. Remove the potatoes. Remove the foil lid from the onions and bake for a further 15 mins. Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the spinach and cook over a high heat for a couple of minutes until wilted. Halve the potatoes lengthways. Mix the spinach ito the onions, divide the mixture between the potato halves and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle balsamic over the top and serve.

Moroccan Spiced Cous-Cous with Fruits

1lb couscous
    8 ½ floz veg stock
    pinch of saffron threads
    2oz dried apricots roughly chopped
    2oz dates stoned and roughly chopped
    2oz raisins
    pinch chilli powder
    2 tbs lemon oil or olive oil
    juice of a lemon
    1 tin chick peas rinsed and drained
    handful fresh mint leaves roughly chopped
    handful fresh coriander roughly chopped
    2 ½ oz flaked almonds
    salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 200/gas 6. Put couscous in an ovenproof dish. Mix stock, saffron, apricots, dates and raisins in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour the hot stock and fruit over the couscous. Add just enough boiling water to cover the grains but don't flood them. Set aside for 15 mins. Fluff up the couscous with a fork and season with salt, pepper and chilli powder to taste. Drizzle the lemon or olive oil and lemon juice over and add chick peas. Mix well and cover dish. Bake couscous for 15 mins. Fluff up, stir in the mint and coriander and return to the oven for a further 5 mins. Dry fry the almonds in a heavy based frying pan over a moderate heat, stirring frequently for 5 mins until golden. Scatter over the couscous and serve.

Roasted Veg and Tomato Pasta

1 red pepper, chopped
    1 courgette, chopped
    1 sweet potato chopped
    1 cup butternut squash, chopped
    1 red onion sliced into wedges
    5 cloves garlic whole
    2 tomatoes, skinned and cut into wedges
    few basil leaves, torn
    3tbs olive oil
    1 tin tomatoes
    2tsp mixed herbs

Place veg and torn basil leaves into roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and stir to coat. Roast in hot oven for 30 mins until veg is tender. Place tomatoes and mixed herbs into a small saucepan, bring to boil then simmer for 15 mins on low heat. Stir in roasted veg and pour over cooked pasta. Stir together and serve.

Enjoy!! :D
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Justamum wrote: »
    In fact I went off chocolate when I became vegan because I just don't like the really dark stuff.
    Me too!

I reverted to vegetarian about six weeks ago and have not stopped eating chocolate since, gaining 1/2 a stone in the process. The only other non-vegan food I've eaten is yoghurt for the calcium, still buying soya milk. I'm thinking of going back to my vegan ways for the next 2 weeks at least...easily done if I stick to the freezer.

Lidl's mince pies are vegan btw, if you need a sweet treat to keep you going. I have plenty of low-fat vegan Christmas cake to get through.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Lidl's mince pies are vegan btw, if you need a sweet treat to keep you going. I have plenty of low-fat vegan Christmas cake to get through.

I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't like dark chocolate. :D

Unfortunately we don't have Lidl here, but I do have about 4 jars of mincemeat, so I'm going to make my own.
  • Have you tried making soya milk? I have a soy milk maker (that also makes other grain milks, nut milks and seeds milks). It means you just need to keep soya beans, nuts or whatever you prefer to make your milks out of.

I do have a soy milk maker....but have never managed to make any soy milk that tastes even vaguely drinkable!!!:o Any suggestions would be more than welcome!!! :D
  • I need to have a variety of sweet treats for my son (28) over christmas as everyone else will be eating chocolate and cake etc. Any suggestions for ready made things I can buy as I have very little time for cooking and not much room for storing anything.
  • rachelhen wrote: »
    I need to have a variety of sweet treats for my son (28) over christmas as everyone else will be eating chocolate and cake etc. Any suggestions for ready made things I can buy as I have very little time for cooking and not much room for storing anything.

Hi rachelhen...try the link I have put below...it is a link to the vegan shopper which lists store bought products which are suitable for vegans...you can check by store, product etc

http://www.vegansociety.com/afssearch.aspx

hope it helps :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills