Back dating of invoices by landlords

Hi, I'm a director of a small company and still being quite new to the roll I'm still coming across things that don't seem right or legal.
My business is operating out of rented premises and the landlords send invoices only 1 week before the rent is due, however they back date the invoice by three weeks.

This is frustrating as the amounts vary as they have different charges which are annual and quarterly so I've found myself trying to find the extra money at the last minute.

Is this practice of backdating invoices by a few weeks illegal or is it just an underhanded way to force people to pay sooner?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does your rental agreement not stipulate when the rent is due and for how much and what other charges are due?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Are they sending them electronically to an old email account (you say your new) and subsequently a paper copy a few weeks later?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    is there VAT charged on the invoice? yes or no... it matters for timing
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    As far as I am aware, the invoice date must be correct and cannot be anything other than the date the invoice is raised. I would see an accountant or lawyer about this. What they are doing could be illegal.
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    we only pay on 30 days from receipt. and only when its been chased 3 times -its amazing how long some companies take to chase invoices - we had one a couple of years ago we had to re-write the cheque - so it took them over 6 months to even start chasing.

Our rent is paid by DD and the extras - insurance and service charge are done quarterly via an invoice.
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, the invoice date ..... cannot be anything other than the date the invoice is raised. ....... What they are doing could be illegal.
    you are wrong on both points
  • guy999
    guy999 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Guess you have a commercial lease, so must pay by the terms as stipulated in contract. If u miss by a day will probably charge interest or even worse for breach.
    Hence why most companies pay automatically,
    Service charges could differ on invoices depending on accounting period or works done by agents/owners.
    Also watch on termination as you dont automatically renew for new term
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure