Npower problems.

sun-n-moon
sun-n-moon Posts: 136 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi all.
Looking for a bit of advice. I'll try to keep it short.
I had a previously tenanted house that has stood empty for over 6 years. The tenant had gas and electric pre-paid meters installed without my knowledge. He did an overnight flit and it has stood empty except when squatters got in but they did not stay. I sold it in April by auction. I received by email a bill for £1600 from Npower in October stating that I owed them for the hire of the meters. I questioned the bill. Stating I had no contract with them as I did not request or agree the meters installation.
I have never recieved a bill before or any terms and conditions relating to the hire of these. If known I would have had them removed as I had never used them. I can't find any legislation that makes me resposible, I know there is an issue about deemed, but is that the law? The bill remains in dispute. It has changed from £1650, £2019, £1535, £820. They offered me £50 goodwill off the £800 but I refused the offer, so they put it back on. I did register myself resident in the house for the last 18months and have offered to pay the bill for that but they refused the offer. They could not calculate a bill anyway.
Even though it has been in dispute they have still sold the debt on to debt company who harrass daily by text on my old mobile phone no, since sold with phone to a family member. I only communicate by email. They have no UK address or phone no for me to avoid harrassment. Last email says what figure will I accept? If they do not agree they will send a final closing bill. I'm a pensioner and not bothered about credit rating. Would you wait for a Court case? Or where do you think I should go from here?
Apologies for long post.

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is this actually just the normal daily standing charge that most tariffs have?

If so, it's your problem. You don't have a tenant who is responsible, so the standing charge would be yours. You haven't asked for the supply to be disconnected. There is always a deemed contract with the last supplier unless you choose to contact a different one to switch suppliers.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • sun-n-moon
    sun-n-moon Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2018 at 11:15PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have had no contact from Npower in regard to the meters until receiving this bill. Googling. I found this.
    So in summary you had a contract albeit it was not in writing and that's a breach of the standard licence condition SLC 22.5 made pursuant to The Electricity Act 1989 and or a breach of schedule 2 and 8 of the Electricity and Gas ( internal Markets) regs 2011, 2 different UK laws.
    I don't know if a deemed contact is UK law or Npower law.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The deemed contract is UK law and if there's no tenant then the landlord is responsible for the utility bills.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    sun-n-moon wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have had no contact from Npower in regard to the meters until receiving this bill. Googling. I found this.
    I don't know if a deemed contact is UK law or Npower law.

To put this one to bed:

A Deemed Tariff is provided for under Schedule 6 of the Electricity Act 1989 and Schedule 2B of the Gas Act 1986.

It arises where a supplier already supplies electricity and/or gas to a property and there is no formal supply agreement in place with the customer. Typically, this occurs where a person moves into a property and has not agreed specific contractual terms with the current supplier, this ensures there is continuity of supply (i.e. the property remains on supply, even where the occupiers may change).

I think that the above says it all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport