DMP:gopher money issue

I looked at taking out a dmp with gopher money about 3 weeks ago,
I agreed over the phone and gave my debt card details.
The woman on the phone said that I would have to fill out a soa and sign a contract before any money was taken. I found alternative ways to sort the debt (family) I called and told them I would not be taking the dmp and did not sign / send any paper work. Today the debited £200 from my account what can I do about this i have no money to live on and it's swallowed my wages for a week. Can my bank reverse the debit to the account it wasn't a direct debit or a standing order. As it isn't showing on my Internet banking list I asked the val and was told it was an automatic transfer I have asked for a new card ect so they can't take anymore but where do I stand with reclaiming the money for a contract I never entered. Does giving your bank details bind you in? Or even agreeing over the phone when your in a position like that? Many thanks

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Zippy10 wrote: »
    I looked at taking out a dmp with gopher money about 3 weeks ago,
    I agreed over the phone and gave my debt card details.
    The woman on the phone said that I would have to fill out a soa and sign a contract before any money was taken. I found alternative ways to sort the debt (family) I called and told them I would not be taking the dmp and did not sign / send any paper work. Today the debited £200 from my account what can I do about this i have no money to live on and it's swallowed my wages for a week. Can my bank reverse the debit to the account it wasn't a direct debit or a standing order. As it isn't showing on my Internet banking list I asked the val and was told it was an automatic transfer I have asked for a new card ect so they can't take anymore but where do I stand with reclaiming the money for a contract I never entered. Does giving your bank details bind you in? Or even agreeing over the phone when your in a position like that? Many thanks

What type of actual transaction was the £200?
    You say it wasn't a Direct Debit or Standing Order.
    You also say it's not even showing on your bank account when viewed on the internet?

What's an 'automatic transfer'? If it's not showing on your bank account, have you actually paid it at all?

I suggest you contact your bank and enquire.
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi Zippy10, thank you for your query regarding DMP
    You have done the right thing by contacting your bank although you could have just told your bank that you are withdrawing your authority from the continuous/recurring payment authority which is what this is most likely to be but as long as the new card does not have the same card number this company should not be able to take any further payments. Regarding getting a refund of the payment they took I would suggest you write a complaint to them stating that they told you they would not take any payments until you had signed the financial statement and contract and ask them to refund the payment. I would suggest you send the letter via recorded delivery and keep a copy and if they do not respond or you are unhappy with their response you can take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. You can find more information about making complaints and the Financial Ombudsman Service at https://www.adeviceguide.org.uk. It is also worth being aware that there are Debt Management Companies such as Step Change and Payplan who offer non- fee charging debt management plans.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure