IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ParkingEye ignoring my letters, now have Letter Before County Court Claim

Hello,
I've read the newbie thread but can't find anything similar to this.

In November I received a PCN from ParkingEye as I had unwittingly overstayed in a retail car park by 11 minutes. I immediately appealed and sent copies of receipts showing I had been using the shops there. At the end of December I received another letter from them saying that as I had "not responded" to their letter, I was no longer entitled to pay the reduced rate and needed to immediately pay the full £70. Again I wrote straight back referring them to my letter of appeal and asking why they had not responded to that - was my appeal rejected, if so surely I still had the chance to pay the reduced rate etc? I sent that second letter by Recorded Delivery after wondering if they hadn't received my appeal letter.

Yesterday I received a third letter from them which was Letter Before County Court Claim. Again, no mention of my letter of appeal, nor my second letter.

Has anyone had any experience of this? How do I communicate with them when they ignore my letters? What should I do now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is causing me a lot of worry. I have tried calling the company but the phone number given is only one for taking payment. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Go to the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum (#2) to learn about how to deal with a lbcca and defending a court claim.

Put your rebuttal letter ( and defence) up here for comments before sending them
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    you missed post #5 of that NEWBIES sticky thread , where the COMPLAINTS information is

complain by email to the BPA and to the DVLA about the lack of acceptance of your appeals, enclosing copies of all paperwork and copies of any PO receipts etc too, plus if it was sent "recorded" , which is now called "signed for" , check if it was SIGNED FOR by PE , to show proof of receipt (which is why you did RECORDED in the first place)

this may prompt PE to issue a popla code , or even a cancellation
  • multimum
    multimum Posts: 18 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies.

Quentin, would this still be the case even though they have ignored all my correspondence?

Redx, that sounds good. I don’t have a scanner so if I complain to DVLA and BPA by email I can’t include evidence. Is there any disadvantage to complaining by post?
  • multimum
    multimum Posts: 18 Forumite
    Oh, and yes, I checked and my second letter was delivered and signed for. I have the date, time and name of person who signed, so no disputing it!
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Post is fine. As long as there is a paper trail it doesn’t matter if it’s email or snail mail.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I don’t have a scanner so if I complain to DVLA and BPA by email I can’t include evidence
    Do you own a phone with a camera function?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 January 2018 at 7:09PM
    multimum wrote: »
    Oh, and yes, I checked and my second letter was delivered and signed for. I have the date, time and name of person who signed, so no disputing it!
    There is, because your first letter wasn't. Oh dear. Why not appeal online, why write to Parking Eye snail mail with no proof? Eeek.

A classic example of why NEVER EVER to send a letter to Parking Eye. The NEWBIES thread warns against it.

An online appeal would have seen you at POPLA by now, and an 11 minute 'overstay' is a winner if you word it right (e.g., describe the car park and how busy it was before Christmas, and that it took 5-6 minutes to find a space, then six or seven minutes to leave after parking time, weaving out past pedestrians and moving cars then waiting to rejoin the busy road).

Not a breach, no Grace Period fairly applied.

Easy to win at POPLA, but missed due to not appealing online as advised here. Hope the BPA get it rewound to POPLA code stage, so you can win as you should have done. If not, then you can win on the same basis, in court.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Again, thanks for the help everyone.

I’m not very tech-savvy so that’s why I wrote instead of emailed; so I could include copies of receipts. Never even thought of taking photo of them and including it on email!

In hindsight I really wish I’d thought to look on here in the first place and hopefully it would have been dealt with by now. Will try and get to grips with this on Monday.

Do I copy ParkingEye in on my complaints to DVLA and BPA? Or wait until I hear back from DVLA and/or BPA? Really don’t want it to look like I have ignored their recent letter and find myself in even more trouble? In case you can’t tell, anxiety is my middle name and I’ve never been in this position before! :eek:
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 January 2018 at 11:52PM
    so I could include copies of receipts.

You could have uploaded them, even I have done so to PE before, and I'm not very tech-savvy. You could not have emailed an appeal. Their appeals page itself allows uploads of attachments.

I would email PE urgently as you CANNOT ignore a LBCCC:

enforcement@parkingeye.co.uk

with the PCN number in the subject line. Copy them in, or forward, your BPA/DVLA complaints and ask PE to explain why they ignored your two letters, why they didn't allow a fair grace period (start and end) and ask AGAIN for a POPLA code.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure