Mrs S, family life and debt

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think from now on my new financial week will start on a Thursday and may do my grocery shop straight after work. The boys will have dinner with their dad on a Thursday night and then will get back to mine in time for bed. I finish work at 4:30 so as long as I'm back by 6:00/6:15 I should be back before the boys are. Instead of deliveries I thought I may try the collection instead every other week. Trial and error at the moment so we'll see how it goes.

I'm back in work tomorrow after 2 weeks off. There are only 3 of us in the office so this isn't something I can keep quiet. It's not that I'm purposefully keeping it quiet, I just don't think it's anyone's business!! 2 school runs today and I didn't mention it - I hate fuss and attention, and this screams fuss and attention!!! I'll tell my colleagues tomorrow morning, but it's not going to impact on work at all so hopefully there won't be too much fuss!!

Laundry basket was empty earlier (not anymore, but small wins!!!). I took the empty bottles to the bottle bank as well today. I'm still waiting for the form to fill in to apply for tax credits. It's only been 5 days, so could be waiting up to another 12!!! I really want to get everything filled in and sent off so I can see where I stand! I'm so impatient!!!
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    Back to work today, and told the 2 women I work with what had been going on and they were lovely. Asked if they could do anything at all to help. My manager contacted the 'big boss' just so they're aware, and I got an e-mail from him stating the same - if I need any help to just ask.

It was actually nice to be back at work. Routine and normality (whatever that is at the moment) back. Then after work, I paid for ds1's after school club, and 2 new school jumpers for ds1. That was a very expensive journey home!!! It's all budgeted for in different pots so nothing out of the 'spends' pot today.

I received the tax credit form through the post. I've filled in all but one section (The boys are with their dad tonight so I've had time to crack on with it). The one part I can't find is to do with my employer tax reference. HMRC are sending me out a letter with it written on - they can't tell you over the phone. It's typically not on my payslips, I have only been there a few months so no P60 and no coding notice from HMRC when I started the job - I just switched employer but kept with the same tax code. I could ask in work for it, but it is a very open plan office (my employer is separate to my office - it's a strange set up!!), and basically I don't want the whole office knowing my business. Hopefully the letter won't take too long so I can get the form sent off asap.
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You should be able to see it on your personal tax account online if you want to find it sooner x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • I haven't posted before MrsS but just wanted to wish you well for the future. You are amazing with budgeting and making sure your DC have all they need, give yourself a big pat on the back!

I split up with my husband over 10 years ago and that's when my financial problems started, I wish this website and various others had been around then to give me some support. Have you tried this website too? https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

I'm a SAHM at the moment and things are rocky with my partner, I've looked a few times at what would happen if we were to split up (essentially he would have lots of money and I would have none!). If you haven't done so already, could you pop in and see your local council for advice too? Mine are really helpful, gave me the details of other local companies/ charities I could speak to. Women's Aid is also a useful source of advice, plus your local Children's Centres often have courses or other things they can help with.

Just go easy on yourself, don't try to make everything perfect right away, and email friends if it's easier than telling them things in person; I often found it better to let people know the basics in a message rather than face to face. Oh and do come back here for more support, and to let us know how you're getting on! xx
    Finally debt free!! March 2018 :j
  • MrsSave
    You should be able to see it on your personal tax account online if you want to find it sooner x

I had a look and couldn't see it at all. I could see my tax code, my predictions for this tax year etc. But couldn't find my employer tax reference.
  • MrsSave
    Rubyslippers thank you for your lovely message. I'm sorry things are rocky with your partner at the moment. It's sad that finances can dictate so much to us. I'll take a look at your suggestions.
  • MrsSave
    Today is the start of my new 'finance' week. I have £29 left from last week and £94 this week. I may need to buy some milk, bread and bananas over the weekend, but otherwise the cupboards are looking full.

There are a couple of things I'd like to buy for the house. Not all this week, but my mini shopping list:
    1. Photo frames (I have quite a few pictures that need to go up),
    2. New bed clothes/curtains for my room,
    3. Shelves for the living room.

I've seen a nice bedding set in asda (online) for £12. It will be nice to give my bedroom a little update.

It's strange having no children in the house this morning, but is a little pressure off with getting us all dressed and ready for school/work. I've only got myself to sort.

Tonight I need to do the ironing. I thought about it last night but a few items of clothing were a little damp on the clothes horse. The boys are sleeping here tonight, but they're having dinner with MrS first. That means that once they get back it will be a quick cuddle and up to bed.
  • MrsSave
    I couldn't wait for HMRC's letter so I emailed the finance lady in work (and explained why I was emailing) and she got back to me very fast with the number I needed. I managed to finish filling the form as soon as I got home, and got it down to the post office before the last collection. Fingers crossed it will be sorted with a happy result soon. The web said 5 weeks, but the form said 3 weeks. I'm hoping to have an answer by the end of January.

I've also done all the ironing since getting home, put the ironed clothes away and tidied the kitchen.I'm ready for a sit down now!! The boys will be back soon, but it will be pretty much bedtime so I won't see much of them. I'm then only going to see them for a few minutes tomorrow (getting them ready for school in the morning and 15 minutes after work) and that will be it until Sunday morning.

Other than postage (which came from the change in my purse) today has been a nsd. Ynab and the accounts are up to date.
  • All very organised mrs S. What are your plans for tomorrow night & Saturday?
    (Some you time I hope)
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Glad you got the forms filled in and sent off MrsS, fingers crossed for a speedy response.

Weekly budgets are looking healthy xx
    Mummytogirls x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family