PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Asking for friend again (Scotland query)

Sort of an update to previous issues (and its hard being second hand in the issues even more so when the friend has serious mental health issues)

Ok backstory, moved to his flat feb 2017 with another friend whom I set up together, friend had income issues and fell out with friend 2 and so friend 2 handed in 1 months notice to landlord, landlord accepted the notice despite landlord not asking friend 1

Friend 1 got his housing benefit reassessed but due to the council only starting full benefit from the start of the next rental month there was a £60 shortfall (i.e friend 2 moved on 3rd of month, rental contract was 16th of every month so council paid full from 16th of every month)

Landlord a few days before Christmas sends a letter stating theres a shortfall in rent, and friend needs to sign new contract, since friend 2 moved out friend 1 has paid 3 sets of rent inc 1 full months.

Landlord turns up today when friend has a (very trustworthy) visitor stating friend has no contract, and friend has to move out unless he signs new contract with a guarantor.

Im thinking since the landlord has accepted 3 rents till this point (and friend is technically no longer in arrears due to the way lha is paid) legally in some way is that accepting him as living there so he has the rights as a normal tenant?

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Ok backstory, moved to his flat feb 2017 with another friend whom I set up together, friend had income issues and fell out with friend 2 and so friend 2 handed in 1 months notice to landlord, landlord accepted the notice despite landlord not asking friend 1

Did they have separate rental agreements or was it a joint tenancy?
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Slithery wrote: »
    Did they have separate rental agreements or was it a joint tenancy?

Joint tenancy.
  • Suggest you 'phone Shelter Scotland 0808 800 4444 after 9:00am Monday.

One of several joint tenants is not able to end a joint tenancy by only their notice so landlord got that wrong.

As landlord has accepted rent I agree, there is a tenancy: The only legal way he can evict is taking tenant through the courts. Any silliness from landlord collect dates, time, evidence. Speak to Shelter Monday.

Slàinte mhath!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport