Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• doe808
    doe808 Posts: 452 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Currently got the Full House (XL) package with Vivid 200 fiber option broadband, talk weekends and telephone rental for £35 per month. About to jump to £79.99.

Going to call them tonight to see what they can come up with,
    Total - £340.00

wins : £7.50 Virgin Vouchers, Nikon Coolpixs S550 x 2, I-Tunes Vouchers, £5 Esprit Voucher, Big Snap 2 (x2), Alaska Seafood book
  • drphila wrote: »
    Was on 50Mb for £18 due to go up to £33. Asked what they could offer at beginning of notice period (30.11.17)and was offered capped for £15. Refused and cancelled. Got call and accepted uncapped for £15.

Wow this is basement bottom price. How hard did you have to push them to get it down to this? And how long after you processed cancellation did you receive the outbound retentions call?
  • drphila
    drphila Posts: 288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Wow this is basement bottom price. How hard did you have to push them to get it down to this? And how long after you processed cancellation did you receive the outbound retentions call?

They called within 2 days. Perhaps I should clarify that I am paying £15 equiv. per month. (£18/month with 2 months free). Didn't have to push very hard at all - don't think I even had to mention competitors. But my data usage over the previous 12 months had been relatively low at around 30Gb/month (but it is now much higher because all my TV now comes via streaming)
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Not really, I'm still getting mine for free :D
  • drphila wrote: »
    They called within 2 days. Perhaps I should clarify that I am paying £15 equiv. per month. (£18/month with 2 months free). Didn't have to push very hard at all - don't think I even had to mention competitors. But my data usage over the previous 12 months had been relatively low at around 30Gb/month (but it is now much higher because all my TV now comes via streaming)

Thanks! Will have to try the same technique when I'm out of contract as I'm paying £36/month (already discounted) for a line and 100mbps
  • Dave360180
    Dave360180 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Any suggestions how to ensure VM have your up to date mobile number for Retentions to hopefully call on ? I set my account up ages ago and I think my number changed now.
  • hpmann
    hpmann Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My deal is about to end for broadband so I called them and cancelled, best they could do was £24 for 100mg which I declined after reading the comments on this thread - will be interesting to see if I get a call from retentions... lol
  • daveandgem wrote: »
    Any suggestions how to ensure VM have your up to date mobile number for Retentions to hopefully call on ? I set my account up ages ago and I think my number changed now.

I changed this quite easily on webchat. Only took a few minutes
  • doe808
    doe808 Posts: 452 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just a reminder that you must cancel your contract. As above, I am jumping to £79.99 shortly. Best they could do over the cancellation chat was apply £50 credit over the first six months (not per month).

Just restated that the current BT deals are far superior.

Cancelled and await my call back.
    Total - £340.00

wins : £7.50 Virgin Vouchers, Nikon Coolpixs S550 x 2, I-Tunes Vouchers, £5 Esprit Voucher, Big Snap 2 (x2), Alaska Seafood book
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    doe808 wrote: »
    Just a reminder that you must cancel your contract. As above, I am jumping to £79.99 shortly. Best they could do over the cancellation chat was apply £50 credit over the first six months (not per month).

Just restated that the current BT deals are far superior.

Cancelled and await my call back.

This is the approach to take - CANCEL. Don’t just threaten to cancel. Don’t ask what deals they have and then come off the phone to think about it. When your contract is up, CANCEL. This starts a 30 day notice period. Then await the callback.

In the vast majority of good deals reported here and elsewhere it has come from cancelling them awaiting the outbound retention’s team to call back. The inbound team have some discounts available but they are in most cases not the best deal you could achieve.

An advanced technique (if your credit file can take it) is to apply to BT including a home line transfer as this adds another flag on your account that you are serious (as they notify Virgin) and escalates to a different outbound team.

You can cancel the BT before install (no charges) and if it comes to it can cancel your Virgin cancellation if they haven’t phoned back.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback