First credit card

Really could do with applying for my first ever credit card asap and I'm overwhelmed by the range of cards out there so I hope someone can help me narrow it down a bit.

About me: I'm in my twenties, working full time at the moment, living rent free with parents and the only credit I've had to date is a mobile phone contract which has been paid off in full on time every month.

Why I need a card: to pay for flights and hotel for a holiday simply for the protection a card offers. I have the money in my bank account. Also the hotel requires that you put a credit card down when you arrive. I don't intend on making regular purchases (maybe two to three a year) and will of course be looking to pay off any balance in full at the end of the month.

Anyone got any suggestions about which card to go for?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why I need a card: to pay for flights and hotel for a holiday simply for the protection a card offers.
    You may not be covered as much as you think, depending on who you actually 'pay'. In other words, you need to buy direct, not through a third party such as an independent travel agent.
    Anyone got any suggestions about which card to go for?
    One provided by the bank that receives your income and pays your bills, because they know more about your financial circumstances than anyone else. If they say no, then you'll need to approach credit-builder card providers such as Aqua, Vanquis, etc, but these may not grant a sufficiently high enough limit for your intended use.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Either a subprime card like Aqua, Vanquis, Barclaycard Initial, Capital One Classic or you can try your bank, but I suspect your bank will decline you and even with a subprime card you’ll be lucky to get a credit limit that’s high enough to stick a holiday on.
  • I agree with others here.

For a first card you'll maybe get a list between £250 and £500 most likely.

Not really enough to cover what you're wanting to pay for.

Especially if you plan in paying it in full each month rather than accrue interest
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    You might find this MSE guide on Holiday Rights useful: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/holiday-rights

If you're referring to the Section 75 protection with a credit card, you don't need to pay the full amount on the credit card to get the protection. As little as 1p of each purchase would meet the requirement. If you're booking online the only option to split the bill would be to put the deposit on a credit card, which would also meet the requirement.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    You might find this MSE guide on Holiday Rights useful: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/holiday-rights

If you're referring to the Section 75 protection with a credit card, you don't need to pay the full amount on the credit card to get the protection. As little as 1p of each purchase would meet the requirement. If you're booking online the only option to split the bill would be to put the deposit on a credit card, which would also meet the requirement.

It would also require the flights and accommodation to be valued at over £100 seperately unless they booked it as a package.
  • If you're registered to vote, working and operating a current account without issue, start with your bank. If it's Halifax, I suggest Clarity Card which will also reduce the cost of spending abroad.

If it's Barclays, they also have a travel credit card that has similar overseas use benefits.

If you're unsuccessful, the list in post #3 is a good guide.

Based on what you've posted, I think you'll have a reasonable chance of acceptance.
  • Jpc1187
    Jpc1187 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Hi all I'm new to this so bare with me, I have recently applied for a mortgage with my current bank to which was accepted until I was told yesterday that I have a unpaid credit card default back from 2009 which I had totally for got about, the credit card provider was also my current bank which I applied to would this still cause me problems if I was to apply with another lender with it being nearly 10 years old?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In addition to the above suggestions there is the Aqua Reward credit card, easier to obtain than others, fee-free for non-sterling purchases and gives 0.5% cashback.

If your holiday is several months away and you use the card regularly, paying off the balance in full after receiving your statement, you may be given an increase in credit limit before you go.

Whilst away, you could conserve your available credit limit for use when it's necessary, such as the hotel check-in, by having other fee-free means to pay for things, such as a Starling Bank card (apply for the credit card first) and/or Revolut or Loot prepaid, both of which entail no credit check. Anyway it's important to have more than one source of funds when traveling.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Jpc1187 wrote: »
    Hi all I'm new to this so bare with me, I have recently applied for a mortgage with my current bank to which was accepted until I was told yesterday that I have a unpaid credit card default back from 2009 which I had totally for got about, the credit card provider was also my current bank which I applied to would this still cause me problems if I was to apply with another lender with it being nearly 10 years old?

Assuming it doesn't show on your files, no.
  • Jpc1187
    Jpc1187 Posts: 12 Forumite
    No I can't seem to find it on my credit files I was told from the bank that the problem was because they still had this on there records I'm just a little confused as to weather or not anybody else would be able to find it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure