Tales from The Shire

Comments

• Lodger friend split up with the boyfriend this morning :eek: I helped her stage a dawn raid to get some of her possessions out of his house :eek: He was there :eek: He did not behave well :eek:
    We are both now back at home safe and sound although I'm not sure she's heard the last of him. She is a lovely person and deserves so much better. Hope Santa is listening and brings her a much better new year.

Less dramatic achievements include:
    • I have finished the commission and the client is happy :j Just need to rearrange pick up/drop off and collection of the cash ;)
    • reconciled the bank accounts. I discovered one error :( In our favour :)
    • reduced Mr F's pension contribution. It will help to make up the shortfall when lodger friend moves out and we can always put it back up later
    • booked into yoga for tomorrow morning. The instructor said to go along and see if I like it before signing up
    • bought 6 Christmas presents :xmassmile I often buy a family present that can be shared rather than individual presents. This year I found some fabulous artisan chocolate advent calenders which had 15% off and a further 1.5% cashback from TCB. This bought the cost within budget. I'll just have to make sure I send them off in time
    • went to WI. Friend drove and paid for parking so I bought the G&T's. One raffle ticket purchased. One raffle prize won :D A box of Cherry Bakewell biscuits. Costs to be met from personal spends.

I'm going to do the meal planning and shopping this afternoon but probably not much else. Very tired after this morning's adventures. Feel a nap coming on :o

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Sorry to hear about lodgers situation. It's often the nicest people who get stuck with idiots!

Hope yoga goes well tomorrow. Sounds like other things are going well. Still think you should turn this into a book :whistle:

Bexster :)
  • Does that mean lodger friend is becoming the lodger again?
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Sorry to hear about lodgers situation. It's often the nicest people who get stuck with idiots!

Hope yoga goes well tomorrow. Sounds like other things are going well. Still think you should turn this into a book :whistle:

Bexster :)

She is too nice for her own good Bexster. And we agree that she doesn't know how to pick a good 'un.

Yoga was lovely thank you. I am hoping to be able to publish a collection of my short stories sometime. My latest is inspired by all our money saving efforts :D
    Does that mean lodger friend is becoming the lodger again?

Sadly not Wish. Lodger friend had decided to buy her own place and not move in with boyfriend - thank goodness. So we will be losing her at some stage. Probably at end of January now though as all the stress has distracted her from progressing the purchase.

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Lodger friend's boyfriend has involved other parties and it's all getting very messy. She's a bag of nerves :( I'm supporting her as best I can - making sure she has a least one good meal a day inside her and a shoulder to cry on. Things came to head today so I've advised her to talk to the Police, at least informally. What is wrong with people!

We both went to yoga yesterday which was lovely - very relaxing. The instructor kept encouraging us to "let go" and I think I might have let go of my get up and go as I was exhausted for the rest of the day and even went to bed for a nap :o Managed to sneak in coffee and a bun with lodger friend beforehand though ;) Friend paid as a thank you for my support :)

We're off to walk FDawg together soon and I'm going to get some homework done for my writing course this evening. Mr F is away for work so I need to take advantage of the peace and quiet :rotfl:

Happy Thursday all

Fortune x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Enjoy your writing course :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • sending you both virtual hugs fortune and hope the situation sorts its self out soon.
    CRx
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Enjoy your writing course :)

Thanks Beanie - it's going well.
    sending you both virtual hugs fortune and hope the situation sorts its self out soon.
    CRx

It's calming down now CR thank goodness. Thanks for the hugs :D

Fortune x
  • ... that's the sound of time flying :rotfl:

Can't believe it's December, winter and Christmas already :eek: Some preparations have been made:
    • I made the Christmas cake on Stir Up Sunday and it's had a first feed :D
    • 7 presents have been bought and wrapped and 3 of them posted. 2 more are on order which leaves just the 2 to get. All within budget so far.
    • We've drastically cut the number of presents we buy now and have done Secret Santas with family and our Christmas Day guests to keep costs down. I've also wrapped everything in recyclable brown paper and used ribbons and accessories which can be re-used by the recipient
    • I've started work on another painting which I'm intending to gift if it turns out ok
    • our Christmas Day lunch is booked with the restaurant, the deposit paid and menu choices sent.

Mr F has been away this week so I've not eaten as well as I could have. He got back tonight though so the meal plan is back on. Supper was Salmon with Leek & Parsnip Mash.

Lodger friend's drama is on-going but a little calmer. I've stepped back from taking any action myself now although I'm still providing moral support. She is going ahead with the house purchase and has requested a completion date of 17 December :( Mr F's lower pension contributions should go through for December pay day which will lessen the blow a little.

I'm off to the garden centre tomorrow to get a new Christmas tree and some lights. I've been holding off waiting for the prices to be reduced but two of the trees I liked are now out of stock so I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet.

Happy weekend all

Fortune x
  • Went with lodger friend to the garden centre yesterday to get the Christmas tree and what a good job I didn't leave it any later. There was only one left :eek: It was 25% off in their sale and they gave me an extra 15% off for taking the display model. They offered to take it down and put it back in the box for me but we managed to get it into the truck whole which meant I could just move it straight into the house and save myself the job of erecting it :) I also got some lights at 25% off and a tree skirt. I've been looking out for a tree skirt for the last couple of years but they are soooo expensive usually. This one was reasonably priced and a perfect design. The tree is now up and dressed and looks lovely. Very happy with the overall effect and came in well under budget :T

I managed to get some other decorations up but have some more to sort out today. Also forgot to feed the cake yesterday so must remember to give it a dose this morning.

Lodger friend and I had a light lunch at the garden centre and Mr F went out with FDawg for a bit of off-roading and took M@rmit£ sandwiches with him :rotfl: Supper was fish and chips from the freezer as I was busy tree dressing :o

I need to do some more work on the current painting this morning. Just hoping the light is good enough - I can hear the rain pouring down outside.

We need to pick up a table and chairs this evening which I found on FB. Now lodger friend is moving out I need to change a few things in the cottage so it's more B&B friendly. The current table is a very ugly 60's design and the chairs are in dire need of reupholstering. I will sell the table on if I can and see whether the chairs can be repaired for use in the house. £25 for the new set and I may need to freshen up the paint but I have the materials already.

Other than that I have a very exciting day of chores planned.

Happy Monday everybody.

Fortune X
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback