Fast-approaching deadline for Interest Only BTL mortgages.

Comments

• greent wrote: »
    Great stuff - Payday money shuffle is great! - it needs to happen more often! :p

I’d vote for more frequent paydays greent,:beer:
    IO BTL1 Mortgage was £97,693.54 on 09/08/18; £83,140 on 31/12/19.:D
    Sealed Pot Challenge 12: #078: £150.36
    Save £12k in 2020;
  • can I order one of those too
    CRx
  • can I order one of those too
    CRx

Your name is on the order list Cross Rabbit!
    Save £12k in 2020;
  • To ensure I don’t neglect my focus on this very useful forum discipline, I am popping by to update my signature with £500 op. Would have been more, but one of the tenants hasn’t paid his rent again and is also not responding to requests to let plumber in to check out leak coming from his flat. Sigh.
    Save £12k in 2020;
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    To ensure I don’t neglect my focus on this very useful forum discipline, I am popping by to update my signature with £500 op. Would have been more, but one of the tenants hasn’t paid his rent again and is also not responding to requests to let plumber in to check out leak coming from his flat. Sigh.

I feel your pain - this landlord lark can be a hassle at times! I found that this time of year can mean late/ slightly less payments made before now :( Don't understand why they're not responding about the plumber, though - that's weird. And also why I now let through an agent so they can deal with all of that stuff
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Saving_Glut
    Saving_Glut Posts: 212 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2018 at 8:37AM
    Hi greent, landlording certainly can be a hassle, especially when tenants occasionally go MIA. However, as of Friday, tenant is up-to-date on payments. He did confirm that the leak was in fact coming from a different flat and that it had already been repaired which has been confirmed. Relieved I didn’t incur any costs for this.

Tenant lodged late payment at 5pm on Friday, the same instant I received proceeds from an online sale. Both amounts transferred as op by about 5:05 - a good way to end to the week although I do find that £249 at the end of my mortgage balance somewhat irksome in a TT kind of way. Best get on the case! Good luck with your op push at the end of this year!
    Save £12k in 2020;
  • Saving_Glut
    edited 2 December 2018 at 2:32PM
    Popping by to report op of £11 from online sale. I have also included my Action List for the forseeable as one day I will run out of things to sell and I will need to find alternatives to waste less an/or ear more so that I can continue with op.
    - Download BPee petrol app. Being able to pay for petrol in the forecourt will save me spontaneously buying junk food I wouldn't otherwise buy. :)Completed, and AMX cc have promised £10 off £30 petrol spend.
    - Spread dental fees.
    - Investigate if I have any lost pensions/bank accounts, just in case! :p
    - Switch suppliers via cash back sites. A job for OH, when the time comes! Completed, OH has informed me she has set up reminders when utilities are due to be renewed.
    - Investigate energy efficient grants for B2L in Euroland. I think the deadline may be early Q1, so need to shake a leg on this one!
    - Logon to Bartercardy account and try to book or buy goods cash-free.
    - Pay monthly Bartercard fees in bulk.
    - Download apps to save £ on smartphone.
    - Set up a pension (that is not a B2L!), for tax efficiency.
    - Share mobile data (I’ve forgotten what this means since I wrote it in my notebook, must check!).
    - Investigate if DAS Indurance Policy which I’m currently paying £50 a year on top of my B2L1 insurance is worthwhile, if not, I must not renew it next Jan.
    - Change EEE bill to be charged to BAA AMX cc for Avi0s points.

I scheduled myself for 5 days sportive marshalling next year. I hope I’m as enthusiastic when it comes to the early start on the day. Daily rate of £105 after tax, I must think about which pot (if not op), this will be directed to.

Confirmed that my contractor rates will not be affected by IR35 regulations when they come in next year as I don't work for the public sector. However, there are rumblings that the same rules will apply to private sector workers from April 2020.

In other good news I see that:

- Martin Lewis reported some positive minor rumblings for mortgage prisoners in his TV show last week (of which I am one).
    - Should the current proposed Brexit plan be implemented, then property values are expected to rise substantially in the area where I own BTL1, but it's too early to bank on anything before vote on Dec 11th.

Ciao!
    Save £12k in 2020;
  • Saving_Glut
    edited 4 December 2018 at 7:13AM
    My accountant sent my draft tax calculations through. As I have earned more at work and received more rent this year, the taxman would like me to spread the payments and pay 2/3 of income tax (it’s a very big number!) in January (referred to as Payment on Account) and the remaining third in July! This is a first and therefore, unexpected. Alongside this, I will be due to pay PAYE each quarter and a whopping great Corporation tax bill in August. I have calculated I now pay more tax than my previous boss earns gross!

Logically, I know that I should be grateful I’m taxed so much as it indicates a good income. But, it also points to the new punitive taxes on B2L landlords which will ultimately leave this as a viable alternative only for those landlords with no mortgages on their properties. This will result in less opportunity for ordinary folk to have B2L, many of whom just want to have a property to leave to their children (IMO). Instead the market will be left to big investors, leaving fewer options for tenants.

Having been aghast at the amount of tax due in January, it has at least prompted me to suggest to my accountant that I no longer pay tax in the U.K. on my Euroland property, rather I pay the taxes in Euroland instead which will be less punitive and should satisfy both taxmen. Currently, there is an Agreement between both countries that to pay all taxes in one of the countries is acceptable (not clear on the detail though). If my Accountant agrees this is feasible, I will push on to get B2L1 mortgage to sub £90k, which would be a good result for this year. If it is feasible, I will be curious why he didn’t suggest it as he charges me £915 pa.

It has also prompted me to consider investing money in the property improvements next year to reduce tax. Otherwise, B2L just isn’t viable, I think!

Therefore, op on B2L1 will likely come to a halt for the foreseeable. In the meantime:

My contract expires in December. I have pushed for an increase to market rate, buoyed after calculating that my recruitment agent earns £15k pa from my contract. Even my recruitment agent admitted they made a lot from me! I gave a strong hint that that I would get a job elsewhere in the New Year if he didn’t secure close to market rate and not to cut off his nose despite his face.

I also confirmed that I will not fall into new IR35 regulations coming in in April 2019 as these only apply to contractors in the public sector. However, I believe there may be plans to introduce IR35 regulations for contractors in private sector from April 2020.

I plan to take few holidays as possible next year to maximise op. It will be interesting if, next year I have been able to resist temptation!

I queried the amount I spend on petrol each week. I drive a little (but stylish!) 3 yo car with a 1.2L engine, commute 16 miles each way in start/stop traffic. Colleague with 12 yo people carrier and similar commute spends £65 every three weeks. Since Thursday I have switched off the start/stop functionality in my car which was supposed to save me £200 pa in petrol, but I suspect has cost me £250 extra pa. I will watch fuel consumption over next week and confirm. Colleague said the start/stop functionality is effective on larger engines, not on smaller ones. Curious!

I have signed up for 5 marshalling days next year and volunteered with another which is closer.

Try now only to purchase items through FB Marketplace or a Chinese site called Wish, which my brother recommended. The savings are remarkable.
    Save £12k in 2020;
  • Saving_Glut
    edited 8 December 2018 at 9:44AM
    It’s been a busy week in the life of a B2L Landlord!

1. UK accountant has applied for a tax rebate HMRC said I was due. This rebate almost exactly matches the PAYE amount I am due to pay in January. HMRC karma!

2. My boss confirmed to recruitment agent that my contract will be extended. This is the best news! :j Now both parties must battle it out to increase my daily rate toward market rate. I expect the recruitment agent will get a bloody nose as my boss is a tough cookie!

3. I submitted my Euroland tax returns to Euroland accountant. I’m hoping this will result in a credit toward my UK taxes. I’m also hoping he won’t charge more than e400 for the task!

4. Euroland has currently got a grant in place such that VAT will not be charged on property improvements for a limited time. As a result, this week I placed a spontaneous order to have all external windows and doors replaced. The benefits from this include:
    Cosier and smarter property = happier tenants. VAT-free improvement which saves me approximately e900. Reduced Euroland tax bill next year. The property is more saleable, should I decide to sell. The disadvantage is that having paid the 50% deposit, I only have £50 left in my bank account until payday next Friday! I must shop from our freezer and cupboards until then! I hope that my salary increase will be equivalent to the overall cost of window and door replacement.

Based on previous MSE research in August, I am grateful that I already had an account set up for an efficient way to send the Euro deposit to the windows company. I estimate that I saved approximately £50 by not using my high street bank for the transfer. Unfortunately, I couldn’t earn any credit card rewards with this Euro payment, which could have been juicy!

OH and I will have to plan UK B2L property improvements to reduce tax on B2L “income” next year. I don’t know how many years this will be sustainable, but that will be our approach as B2L taxes increase up to 2020 and after which there might be less Brexit uncertainty. So we expect to have well maintained properties, but have spent a lot on improvements and/or B2L taxes.

5. I set up a dental plan to spread my checkups and hygiene appointments evenly through the year, which proves you’re never too old to learn to adult! :rotfl: I requested that the extra monthly insurance of 60p (in the event I need emergency dental care away from my local dentist), was not included as based on my life thus far, this risk is null. :D

6. If I spend £851 on my AMX credit card by 9th January, I will be rewarded with 25,000 Avios points (approx £125). This would have been easy in my pre-MSE days so I will need to plan this carefully!

7. My petrol costs have reduced since turning off the start/stop facility. At this early stage, I estimate I will save approx £300 per year! :T

8. I saw my colleague reading the MSE mortgage pages as she is about to buy her first house. I hope she doesn’t read this blog and guess my identity! :p

So with all this activity, op on B2L1 will grind to a startling stop, except for any meagre earnings which might come my way for example, I earned £5 via online sales this week and there is a possibility of another today. However, B2L mortgage is overall, in much better shape than it was 5 months ago, and for that I am really grateful. :beer:
    Save £12k in 2020;
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    All sounding very organised, Saving! :T
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport