Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018

Options

Comments

• annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I had a relative with mental health issues who killed themselves. That impacted our lives until the day he died (or when the body was found).

So yes. I do have some awareness of how mental health issues can affect a family. I've also worked with many people who live chaotic lives and I suffer from anxiety myself.

I'm not sure what the mental heath status of mooloos 3 kids are and I wouldn't like to presume.

My view and I stand by this. Is that someone (doesn't need to be mooloo) needs to try and sort the hb arrears out. Get copies of payslips. Get a letter from the ex employer saying that her son lived there.

That might be a start in sorting the arrears out which might give the son and the partner some wriggle room with their money.

I'm not the only person over the course of the threads over the years who has suggested that mooloo close her purse. She's said it herself. She said it in the opening post.

The money that she's giving out, she can't afford to lose it. Shes previously posted that her pension pot has taken a hammering and that's due to how much she's had to give out over the years.

As mooloo will know better than anyone on here. This won't be the last time her family need money.

She is possibly right that bankruptcy or an iva might be their only course of action.

Mooloo is also in the position that she may have to take on the kids. This isn't just impacting on mooloo. It's impacting on the kids. Her son and gf. So surely it's best that their finances get sorted out sooner rather than later.

I think mooloo is great. But I also think her kids can't keep asking. Because it sounds like in her sons case at least, him and the gf have so much debt that a couple of hundred pounds here and there isn't going to sort it
  • annandale
    Options
    How much of this money does mooloo ever see back? She's a mum who looks after her granddaughter as well. The loss of this cash impacts on her life. It impacts on her granddaughters life. And it impacts on mooloos pension in retirement as well. Plus the holiday home that she wants.

As someone else said mooloos kids have two parents. The dad won't be giving out what mooloo does. Hasn't over the years. I'd be very surprised if he did.

And the gf has parents as well. Who aren't subbing them. Just mooloo. Terribly unfair.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    annandale wrote: »

My view and I stand by this. Is that someone (doesn't need to be mooloo) needs to try and sort the hb arrears out. Get copies of payslips. Get a letter from the ex employer saying that her son lived there.

Mooloo is also in the position that she may have to take on the kids. This isn't just impacting on mooloo. It's impacting on the kids. Her son and gf. So surely it's best that their finances get sorted out sooner rather than later.

I think mooloo is great. But I also think her kids can't keep asking. Because it sounds like in her sons case at least, him and the gf have so much debt that a couple of hundred pounds here and there isn't going to sort it

As someone else said mooloos kids have two parents. The dad won't be giving out what mooloo does. Hasn't over the years. I'd be very surprised if he did.

And the gf has parents as well. Who aren't subbing them. Just mooloo. Terribly unfair.

Actually Annadale, I totally agree with you that it IS unfair that Mooloo has to bear the brunt of helping her son, and "someone" needs to try to sort the HB arrears etc. However, I think that Mooloo has found (as I did) that there isn't anyone else who is going to step up and help (I know Biggest did what she could when she could but obviously can't help now).
    Until my eldest's life unravelled 4 years ago I believed that there was help available for those in desperate need, and whilst I was initially happy to house her it was under the illusion that such help would be there to help her get back on her feet. I soon found out that there is very little help at all, and believe me I tried every avenue I could - spending hours on the internet, ringing people, writing letters, and usually being referred back to the beginning. At the same time trying to encourage eldest (who was considering suicide at that point), getting medical/psychological help and driving to appointments etc. Finally, last year the diagnosis of ASD was made (so 3 years from initial breakdown). In all that time the only financial help was eldest was put on minimum JSA (even though she was unable to work due to mental state but was not approved for ESA). I am retired, and although fortunate to own my own house my income is limited. Her father (my exH who is still working) visited us 2 or 3 times in the 4 years, always telling us how much he would like to help but he had no spare money (although managed to go on hoilday a couple of times in the period, and bought himself new computer and music instruments) but would always tell us to keep our chins up and he was thinking of us. That wasn't much help in our darkest times I have to say. When eldest moved in with new partner (against my advice as I could see the financial situation of partner was precarious) I had a few brief weeks of relative peace until they were evicted (partly because partner's ESA had been messed up, although also partly through her lack of budgetting skills) they had to move in with me because the council said they weren't priority, and even if they were, there were no wheelchair-suitable properties available. So it began again - the ringing people, writing letters (to official and voluntary bodies and councillors and MPs), waiting for appointments and being referred to somewhere else just to be referred back again, providing endless amounts of documentation (which the council kept losing). Everyone I spoke to couldn't believe there was not help available for them and that they would really be on the streets if they weren't with me - but they would have been. They finally were given some help after CAB lawyer showed the council were in breach of their statutory duties, and I had to write a letter to council to say I was evicting them (even then the council visited me to ask why they couldn't stay - these aren't "young" adults by the way as both are over 30). It has taken me the best part of the summer to recover some sort of equilibrium in my life but my belief in any official help being readily available has been shattered. Yes, my child has 2 parents, as does partner, but what do you do if 3 of the 4 aren't able, or willing, to help
    That's why I understand that although Mooloo has been advised (and knows herself anyway) that she "shouldn't" be having to do what she does for any of her children, I also know that she probably feels as I did - that she has no choice.
    Sorry Mooloo - don't want to take over your thread. Just want you to know that people do understand why you do what you do - even though it seems to go against all logic.
    Take care.
  • annandale
    Options
    I think the very bottom line is that mooloo has spent thousands of pounds of her own money that she can ill afford helping her kids out over the years.

While other people have sat back and let her.

I have mental health issues. Mental health issues on their own doesn't mean that someone can't cope with finances.

Everyone is different and some people have complex issues

But mooloo in my view should not be having to prop up 3 adult kids in their mid to late 20s when she does not have the spare cash and that she has other responsibilities with her granddaughter. And the fact that her son and his gf are going to have to sort their lives out to get their kids back.

She should not, at this stage in her life be propping up her adult family.
  • Brighton_belle
    Brighton_belle Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2018 at 6:35PM
    Options
    Mooloo has 3 children with mental health issues, i

I'm not sure that 'mental health issues' is the correct terminology. The adult twins issues are due to learning difficulties and DS has severe dyslexia.
    Of course they have all experienced the inertia of depression due to the chaotic mess of their lives but that is not the overriding cause of their problems, just a result of them.
    Thank you for your input Dreaming - I found it very helpful.

I hope you are felling a little better today mooloo.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the very bottom line is that mooloo has spent thousands of pounds of her own money that she can ill afford helping her kids out over the years.

While other people have sat back and let her.

I have mental health issues. Mental health issues on their own doesn't mean that someone can't cope with finances.

Everyone is different and some people have complex issues

But mooloo in my view should not be having to prop up 3 adult kids in their mid to late 20s when she does not have the spare cash and that she has other responsibilities with her granddaughter. And the fact that her son and his gf are going to have to sort their lives out to get their kids back.

She should not, at this stage in her life be propping up her adult family.

Totally agree with all of this, as would the majority who read this thread. As I said, my eldest is extremely good with money despite (or because of) ASD - partner (also ASD + physical disabilities) is not, so definitely having this diagnosis (or others) does not, on its own, preclude people from managing finances.

I also agree that Mooloo definitely should not be propping up her adult family. However so many people do, including those adult children who do not have problems other than the rising cost of living versus minimum wage/zero hours contracts (very few well-paid permanent jobs available in some areas).

So knowing that most of us here agree with you, what can you practically suggest she can do about this? I know from reading Mooloo's diaries (I am only a recent poster but have read for a few years) that she has a great deal of experience of the vagaries of the benefits/social service system so I am sure she has tried, and encouraged her kids to try, to engage with them. She also has some fairly expert people who have posted on here with advice (and have also contacted her privately). But after all that she is still in the position she is in. In an ideal world there would be all sorts of offical help available, and in this ideal world the children's father would automatically step in and do as much as Mooloo is doing to help. Sadly that ideal world doesn't exist, and as much as I, you, or anyone else, rail against it, Mooloo has to deal with the situation as it is - not as it should be.

No more posting from me tonight (who said hooray? lol) as thinking about this has dredged up all the feelings of despair and anger that I felt when I was in the midst turmoil.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting your experiences dreaming, it certainly helps to show those who have never had to deal with a situation like this, how difficult it is, but primarily how little support and professional help is available. I've also spent the past 12 years dealing with a similar situation with my eldest, who is now in his thirties and has significant MH problems and huge debts as he can't budget properly.

I'm so sorry that putting your story out here has triggered all those feelings of despair. Despite trying to lock it all away and move on, it never truly goes away. You've been very brave in posting here tonight and I hope you've got somebody at home with you right now to support you. Tajes care xx
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 28 September 2018 at 2:20AM
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    Actually Annadale, I totally agree with you that it IS unfair that Mooloo has to bear the brunt of helping her son, and "someone" needs to try to sort the HB arrears etc. However, I think that Mooloo has found (as I did) that there isn't anyone else who is going to step up and help (I know Biggest did what she could when she could but obviously can't help now).
    Until my eldest's life unravelled 4 years ago I believed that there was help available for those in desperate need, and whilst I was initially happy to house her it was under the illusion that such help would be there to help her get back on her feet. I soon found out that there is very little help at all, and believe me I tried every avenue I could - spending hours on the internet, ringing people, writing letters, and usually being referred back to the beginning. At the same time trying to encourage eldest (who was considering suicide at that point), getting medical/psychological help and driving to appointments etc. Finally, last year the diagnosis of ASD was made (so 3 years from initial breakdown). In all that time the only financial help was eldest was put on minimum JSA (even though she was unable to work due to mental state but was not approved for ESA). I am retired, and although fortunate to own my own house my income is limited. Her father (my exH who is still working) visited us 2 or 3 times in the 4 years, always telling us how much he would like to help but he had no spare money (although managed to go on hoilday a couple of times in the period, and bought himself new computer and music instruments) but would always tell us to keep our chins up and he was thinking of us. That wasn't much help in our darkest times I have to say. When eldest moved in with new partner (against my advice as I could see the financial situation of partner was precarious) I had a few brief weeks of relative peace until they were evicted (partly because partner's ESA had been messed up, although also partly through her lack of budgetting skills) they had to move in with me because the council said they weren't priority, and even if they were, there were no wheelchair-suitable properties available. So it began again - the ringing people, writing letters (to official and voluntary bodies and councillors and MPs), waiting for appointments and being referred to somewhere else just to be referred back again, providing endless amounts of documentation (which the council kept losing). Everyone I spoke to couldn't believe there was not help available for them and that they would really be on the streets if they weren't with me - but they would have been. They finally were given some help after CAB lawyer showed the council were in breach of their statutory duties, and I had to write a letter to council to say I was evicting them (even then the council visited me to ask why they couldn't stay - these aren't "young" adults by the way as both are over 30). It has taken me the best part of the summer to recover some sort of equilibrium in my life but my belief in any official help being readily available has been shattered. Yes, my child has 2 parents, as does partner, but what do you do if 3 of the 4 aren't able, or willing, to help
    That's why I understand that although Mooloo has been advised (and knows herself anyway) that she "shouldn't" be having to do what she does for any of her children, I also know that she probably feels as I did - that she has no choice.
    Sorry Mooloo - don't want to take over your thread. Just want you to know that people do understand why you do what you do - even though it seems to go against all logic.
    Take care.

So totally get you!
    Don't apologise
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    If you say no she will have to ask someone else. Feel better soon

There is no one else except loan sharks
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    I need sleep, but I had to bring work home. Sewed £176 worth tonightbut look at the time.
    By the time I had finished work, cooked dinner, done a supermarket shop I still had to Sew again.
    4 hours of Sewing.
    Then the usual jobs.
    I don't remember ever still being up this late!
    Waking up again yes. Not having slept not since Newy Year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure