First Home Buyer. Tips

Batman12
Batman12 Posts: 27 Forumite
Hi gang.

So me and the other half are buying our first house together. We’re currently waiting on the survey but at first glance I couldn’t see anything wrong with house. It’s well looked after, doesn’t need any major work, we’ve got enough money to fully furnish the house and it just needs a change of wallpaper, paint carpet etc.

I’ve been looking up providers for internet, gas, insurance etc etc and just wanting some tips and advice. Whenever I’ve rented we’ve only ever used a top up card with Scottish power who which I want to avoid (they kept on billing me even when we just used a top up card?!)

For internet I’m thinking Zen internet. Energy the best quote I got was from solarplicity and house/content insurance best quote I got admiral (this covers accidental damage and content outside like mobile). I’ve been advised to get a water metre as well as it would be cheaper as it’s only two of us.

Is there anything I may have missed? Any recommendations? Priovisors who aren’t on compare websites like direct line?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Batman12
    Providers* who aren!!!8217;t on compare websites mobile won!!!8217;t let edit my post
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Batman12 wrote: »
    Hi gang.

So me and the other half are buying our first house together. We’re currently waiting on the survey but at first glance I couldn’t see anything wrong with house. It’s well looked after, doesn’t need any major work, we’ve got enough money to fully furnish the house and it just needs a change of wallpaper, paint carpet etc.

I’ve been looking up providers for internet, gas, insurance etc etc and just wanting some tips and advice. Whenever I’ve rented we’ve only ever used a top up card with Scottish power who which I want to avoid (they kept on billing me even when we just used a top up card?!)

For internet I’m thinking Zen internet. Energy the best quote I got was from solarplicity and house/content insurance best quote I got admiral (this covers accidental damage and content outside like mobile). I’ve been advised to get a water metre as well as it would be cheaper as it’s only two of us.

Is there anything I may have missed? Any recommendations? Priovisors who aren’t on compare websites like direct line?

Thanks in advance!

When you move into any property (rented or purchased), you are on a Deemed Contract with the existing supplier to that property. The seller of the property will have included details of the present suppliers in the Buyer's Pack of paperwork that your solicitor should have sent you. You MUST contact the Deemed Supplier with your details and meter readings when you move in. Once you have done this, you are then free to switch without penalty. Treat this as a priority, as Deemed Contracts are at the supplier's most expensive tariff rate and actual transfers can take anything from 17 to 35 days. The Deemed Supplier will charge you for all energy used until the transfer goes through.

Once you have moved in, you should provide your new supplier with meter readings every month if you want to avoid widely inaccurate estimates and shock bills. Suppliers are not clairvoyant and whilst they will have historical usage data for your property, new occupants tend to use energy in different ways. Enjoy your new home.
  • Batman12
    Thanks. I was aware I would need to contact the supplier right away with readings. Didn’t know about the tariff we would be on. We would t be moving in right away so we’d be using min if any energy while we are there. Should give us time to switch over.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Batman12 wrote: »
    Providers* who aren!!!8217;t on compare websites mobile won!!!8217;t let edit my post

If you want to look at all tariffs, then choose the energy comparison tool on the Citizens Advice website.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2018 at 10:49AM
    You are responsible for standing charges and energy usage the minute that contracts are exchanged, not when you move in.
    Hopefully the outgoing occupier entered correct end readings. quite often they submit readings weeks before they actually move out.
    Suppliers will sometimes sensibly ignore start and end reads and use their own estimates. They are more likely to be honest !
    With prepayment meters you can be billed for standing charges and other debts on the meters if you do not top the meters up with enough credit to cover these extra costs..This is why you can be billed for a prepayment meter
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    aren't Zen internet expensive ?

This site has its own tool for broadband prices or look at the newsletter for offers which can be only a third of normal price
  • Batman12
    In my line of work (media, film, editing etc) I need good internet and I can!!!8217;t afford to cheap out on it. Virgin isn!!!8217;t in my area (thankfully as I!!!8217;ve had bad experience with them) and BT hasn!!!8217;t been the best for me either. Zen I!!!8217;ve been told is the next best thing and highly recommended.

Plus my dad did some work for them refurbishing their offices so I!!!8217;m hoping I can charm some sort of discount. Doubtful but worth a try!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure