Apple AirPods or alternative

Dandytf
Dandytf Posts: 4,795
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
Not sure what's stopping me purchasing Apple AirPods.
Very mixed reviews +cost+ possible revision 2 next few months or early 2019.
I'm not often making tel calls though wireless option would be nice.
Main use is music in gym maybe 30-60mins twice a week as I have been for appro 2 months.
Any mser's like to provide a review positive points and any concern or dislikes.
Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500.

Comments

• JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Try the Treblab X2 on Amazon - there are often discount codes on Facebook to drop them down to £30 odd. I have a set for commuting and for the money, I like them.
  • I paid £30 for a pair of alternative ones from Amazon and they are superb.
    Aldi have them in at that price too. At £30 a pop they are good value.
    Apple AirPods are simply too expensive.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Dandytf wrote: »
    Not sure what's stopping me purchasing Apple AirPods.
    Very mixed reviews +cost+ possible revision 2 next few months or early 2019.
    I'm not often making tel calls though wireless option would be nice.
    Main use is music in gym maybe 30-60mins twice a week as I have been for appro 2 months.
    Any mser's like to provide a review positive points and any concern or dislikes.

Decide what your spending budget is and if it falls within the airpods price bracket and they fit your ears get them full stop!

I have had them for over a year and still going strong. What is it exactly that you might not like about them or you have heard about them that makes you undecided?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 23 April 2018 at 5:50AM
    Lot of money for little use. However If they work for you then Im never shy of spending.
    I personally use Sony SBH 80

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SBH80-Stereo-Bluetooth-Headset-Black/dp/B00DZTJKYU (dont pay this price! ,more like half at around £60- £70)

I like having the controls to hand and I can leave my phone in my pocket,on machines at the gym etc.

Design slots nicely under a shirt collar if Im wearing them at work. So I can wear one in,both in or simply have them hanging.
    I have nerve damage in my shoulder so try to avoid holding the phone at my ear for extended periods.
  • Dandytf
    Forumite
    john22 wrote: »
    Decide what your spending budget is and if it falls within the airpods price bracket and they fit your ears get them full stop!

I have had them for over a year and still going strong. What is it exactly that you might not like about them or you have heard about them that makes you undecided?

Might have been reading too much AirPod reviews over weekend.
    Sound quality average?
    No ANC-Active Noise Cancellation
    Ver.2 -t.b.a. 2018 or 2019
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500.
  • Dandytf
    Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    Lot of money for little use. However If they work for you then Im never shy of spending.
    I personally use Sony SBH 80

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SBH80-Stereo-Bluetooth-Headset-Black/dp/B00DZTJKYU (dont pay this price! ,more like half at around £60- £70)

I like having the controls to hand and I can leave my phone in my pocket,on machines at the gym etc.

Design slots nicely under a shirt collar if Im wearing them at work. So I can wear one in,both in or simply have them hanging.
    I have nerve damage in my shoulder so try to avoid holding the phone at my ear for extended periods.

Excellent choice and lots of features and benefits mentioned.
    Is the latest £113 price tag Brexit related, seemed such value@quoteds 60-70
  • custardy
    Forumite
    Excellent choice and lots of features and benefits mentioned.
    Is the latest £113 price tag Brexit related, seemed such value@quoteds 60-70

Looks like the price has slowly crept up on Amazon at least

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Sony-SBH80-Stereo-Bluetooth-Headset-Black/product/B00DZTJKYU

There are other designs
    I also have a pair of these.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-ear-headphones/mdr-xb70bt

I like:

The bendy design,easier for carrying

I don't like the shared buttons on the controls. I barely use them.
    Eg press a button for one feature,hold it for another. Im sure if you used them all the time you would get used to it.
    However Im simply used to the 'old' set up
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Might have been reading too much AirPod reviews over weekend.
    Sound quality average?
    No ANC-Active Noise Cancellation
    Ver.2 -t.b.a. 2018 or 2019

Sound quality is subjective and if its important then I would always be looking at headphones that I can try in person. Personally for me the sound quality is great on the airpods and if it i wanted better then I would be spending for over the ear headphones at a higher price.

Noise cancellation is not a deal breaker for me and the only time it would be is if i was flying regularly. I could see why serious audio buffs would like this feature and if its important don't get the airpods.

I would not bother with waiting to see what updated features the airpods would have unless they come water proof and you like running in teaming rain or if a possible colour choice will be available.

The airpods in the current format are a perfect balance between form function and sound quality.

If your near an Apple store just pop in and try the airpods for yourself and make the decison based on actually using them rather than reading too many reviews and reading counter arguments on this site :)
  • Dandytf
    Forumite
    Sound quality is subjective and if its important then I would always be looking at headphones that I can try in person. Personally for me the sound quality is great on the airpods and if it i wanted better then I would be spending for over the ear headphones at a higher price.

Noise cancellation is not a deal breaker for me and the only time it would be is if i was flying regularly. I could see why serious audio buffs would like this feature and if its important don't get the airpods.

I would not bother with waiting to see what updated features the airpods would have unless they come water proof and you like running in teaming rain or if a possible colour choice will be available.

The airpods in the current format are a perfect balance between form function and sound quality.

If your near an Apple store just pop in and try the airpods for yourself and make the decison based on actually using them rather than reading too many reviews and reading counter arguments on this site :)

Thanks-valid objection handling.
    I don't visit Apple store anymore since 13" MacBook Pro years.
    I might get away without ANC -though could have been nice it others are talking which doesn't happen often at all at least in the Gym.

Thanks mser's....decisions...
  • custardy
    Forumite

How does that work? :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport