DRO via National Debtline

Hello everyone. I have just signed up t the forum but have been reading posts for a few weeks.

So on Thursday I received a letter from National Debtline to say they had received my application, Currently the wait is approx. 10 weeks ( im hoping by approx they men less ;) ). I have to say I was stressing my self out a bit getting all of the info ( nothing seem to go straight foreword for me ) and I was glad when I had all the info. I was trying to get everything done asap but felt like everything was becoming a hurdle but got there in the end.

National Debtline so far have been very helpful from the initial call to each of the web chats I have done because I over think sometimes.

Has anyone else used National Debtline I havent seen anyone mention them only seen Stepchange mentoined.

Comments

• Twubble
    Twubble Posts: 80 Forumite
    Hi. I went through Business Debtline, but the paperwork came back with National Debtline, so I assume they're doing both. They were really good. There is a long wait to get to the top of the pile, but once you get there it moves really quickly. Good luck with yours.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    They post regularly on these forums.

One intermediary is as good as another.

Nothing will happen in 10 weeks so relax.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • MrMeMe
    MrMeMe Posts: 6 Forumite
    thanks for the replies.
    Few more days and 1 week will be gone :). Hopefully if they do need any additional info I can email rather then the post just so it doesnt take any longer then it needs too.

Twubble did yours go through smoothly ? was there many questions in the phone call?
  • Twubble
    Twubble Posts: 80 Forumite
    Hi.

My phone call was literally just going through my application, and pointing out that the private plates on my car are an asset, which I'd not even thought about as they're just 'there.' He advised I got a quote for the plate in case I was asked. He then sent me the draft copy to check, and I added the final amounts when I sent it back. He then rang me on the Monday just to check I still wanted to go ahead, and he hit the button then, saying he'd text on Wednesday to let me know it had gone through, which he did. I wasn't asked for the quote for my plates, but I did add to the application that I had a quote for such and such amount, and the original purchase receipt, and they were happy with that. It was well under the money so they didn't even ask to see proof. It will be a month on the 21st, and I can't believe how fast that has gone.
  • MrMeMe
    Hello.
    Ah i wouldn't of even thought of the plates being an asset because it's just on the car.

I see what you mean now that once you get to the top of the pile its quick.

Im just hoping everything goes through ok and smooth as possible I've been in debt for so long that I have forgotten what it feels like to have no debt. But in perspective the 10 week isnt long compared to how long ive had the debts.

I bet you feel free as a bird with no debt :)
  • MrMeMe
    so just had nasty surprise today. got a text from our energy supplier saying we had an outstanding amount . turns out our direct debit wasnt covering the amount they wanted and they tell us now. so the little bit of money i had as an asset is now much lower and our monthly bill has gone up. im guessing i can update that info when they call to go over the application ?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi there,

It may be worth giving us another call about this. If you have energy arrears, they can be added to your DRO application and it shouldn't be an issue, as long as that doesn't put you over the £20,000 threshold. Make sure you have given a meter reading so the arrears are accurate and call us to up date your notes and check if this affects anything else.

You need to ensure that you maintain the payments for what you are using, which your supplier should tell you once they have the reading.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • MrMeMe
    thanks for the reply. we can take care of the out standing amount as we have a little bit of money ( which i included in my asset on the application ) it will just mean I have less "assets" but increased monthly out going.

I am going to put a complaint into them because a direct debit is set up but only takes a set amount and yet the price as increased and they didnt tell us our monthly DD was covering the amount. So for several months this outstanding amount has gone up. This is part of why people get into debt. tehy should of told us the first month that our DD wasnt covering it .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure