Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Torie29
    • By Torie29 13th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Torie29
    Redundant... now what??
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    Redundant... now what?? 13th Apr 18 at 2:46 PM
    So, I have been made redundant, obviously I have been paid a redundancy settlement... great! However Iím only 11 weeks into maternity. So, I donít want to go straight back to work, however I donít want to use all my redundancy to live while I look after my son. I would like to save the money for a deposit on a house (when I get an income again) however I have heard that if you have savings then you wouldnít be entitled to any benefits? I was only looking for something to help us through the next few months? Whatís the best thing to do? I got my maternity paid in lump sum but isnít a great deal and doesnít cover all my bills. Should I hide my money? Or have I been told wrong? Help please
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 13th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 4,308 Posts
    • 1,584 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    I would advise visiting local CAB or job centre for best course of action
    • marlot
    • By marlot 13th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    marlot
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    If you've been working for at least a couple of years, you're entitled to contribution-based job seekers allowance for six months. They don't backdate it, so get your claim in. You can do it online, and they'll ask to see you at the jobcentre.

Update LinkedIn - let people know that you're looking for work. Register with local employment agencies. Ask friends if they know any openings where they work.
    Last edited by marlot; 13-04-2018 at 3:19 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

5,146Users online

Martin's Twitter