Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 28th Jan 13, 5:58 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Solarplicity: Add your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 5:58 PM
    Solarplicity: Add your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 5:58 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Solarplicity (previously LOCO2 Energy)

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-07-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 5
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 30th Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    • 6,035 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    LeeUK

They do say that emails take 3 days to reply.
    Originally posted by mbmonty
    I'm still waiting 2 month for a reply to the emails I sent also no replies to the messages sent via the online account.

Anyway doesn't matter now. Just need my first and final bill from them for the few weeks that my gas was actually with them. Elec never made it to the transfer for some reason.
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 30th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mbmonty

By the way.......the DCC is owned by Capita plc.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!
    Originally posted by Tawny_Owl
    Now it becomes clearer

Capita AKA Crapita are named in so many failures, from new GP and Dentists to a plethora of other systems that either cause business processes to backlog or the system fails like Pay360 did last year.

Some people online ask "Is there anything that Capita canít !!!! up?"

They had a serious profit warning recently and lost a billion off their share value, now Government is in talks with them to avoid another Carillion.

They have let loads of staff go and are in restructuring, nobody on outside will know how bad it is but after the way their goons behave in the TV Licencing contract I doubt there will be many tears
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 30th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mbmonty
    I'm still waiting 2 month for a reply to the emails I sent also no replies to the messages sent via the online account.

Anyway doesn't matter now. Just need my first and final bill from them for the few weeks that my gas was actually with them. Elec never made it to the transfer for some reason.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Yes I never received key email and not expecting to any time soon, but I resolved the issue because I was able to see from the errors other customers had on here and on TrustPilot. Processes are like dominoes, they trigger things, so if they do not happen it can create chaos. They need to create verification checks in their systems so they can track and manage failures.

They lost you as a customer as a direct result of their IT /Data failures, usually heads must roll in these situations, whether they are internal or external remains to be seen.

I have no problem with them not sending me bills as long as they do not try to put in a pay meter because of their screw ups.

I log into the portal regularly, it has the screens for the usage but I still can't enter readings, so ball is in their court.

Ebico are a backup I guess, but I think they have links with SSE and I do not like them at all.
    • malakoffee
    • By malakoffee 30th Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    malakoffee
    EBICO <=> Robin Hood Energy
    . . . . Ebico are a backup I guess, but I think they have links with SSE and I do not like them at all.
    EBICO dropped their link with SSE last year. The replacement provider is Robin Hood Energy.
    Robin Hood procedures and facilities are not as slick as the SSE ones used to be, but they are good enough.
    As a long-time customer, I'm sticking with EBICO.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 30th Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    • 6,035 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    LeeUK

Ebico are a backup I guess, but I think they have links with SSE and I do not like them at all.
    Ebico no longer use SSE. Ebico are who I've switched my gas back to.

EBICO dropped their link with SSE last year. The replacement provider is Robin Hood Energy.
    Robin Hood procedures and facilities are not as slick as the SSE ones used to be, but they are good enough.
    As a long-time customer, I'm sticking with EBICO.
    Originally posted by malakoffee
    Not as slick but who needs slick, the Robin Hood Energy system which Bristol Energy also use works very well.
    • Lainey777
    • By Lainey777 5th Apr 18, 9:17 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lainey777
    Poor Customer Service
    I have found it very difficult to get my surplus credit refunded from Solarplicity. I noticed that the credit on my account was increasing each month, even through the winter until it was almost £200. I requested that my direct debit be lowered, and to be refunded the excess amount. The direct debit was changed immediately, but geting the money back has been a much more of a problem. After numerous phonecalls, and waiting periods, I have just lodged an official complaint and am waiting on a response. Still no sign of any money in spite of me having been assured of it's processing several times. Has anyone else experienced difficulties like this?
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 5th Apr 18, 1:27 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    wavelets
    Price change
    It looks like Solarplicity have just updated their tariffs
    - not sure any on the comparison sites have updated yet

For anyone on their no standing charge Fair Market Price Variable tariff, it looks like unit prices have been hiked by about 30%
    (and the removal of the dual fuel discount)

Time to consider ditching & switching...
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 6th Apr 18, 12:09 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mbmonty
    Solarplicity breaks it's word
    Well so much for

standing charges - we don't believe in them

I am wondering if that is for new customers?

I have not been advised of that price hike so thanks for that, I think I am in some limbo where they do not ask me for meter readings or send me bills. Suits me, on my deal they said they had a promise to be cheaper than the other companies even if only by a small amount.

So if the others have put their up then I guessed they will too, but NO, it appears they are punishing their customers for taking the No Standing Charge and the hike is MASSIVE!

Well a few days ago I said they were not so bad but if they stop doing no Standing Charge I will leave, it was the primary reason I joined them and put up with their incompetence.

When I signed up they had dropped their fixed price deal and were only offering the fair market price, fair market was supposed to mean cheaper than top 6, It still says that

A big change from the Big 6

Fact. Our prices will always be lower than the UK's 'Big 6' energy companies.
    How? Our Fair Market Price. With us, you'll only ever pay for the energy you use.
    Not a penny more, not a penny less.

What kind of crap is that, How are their prices always lower than the UK's big six if they hike my price from

Elec 15.2754 to 18.6585 UP 18.13%
    Gas 3.654 to 4.7775 UP 23.52%

They have modified the site and no longer say Standing charges we don't believe in them.

You know for a company to survive they MUST do what they say they are going to do, how are we supposed to trust a company that makes value statements like "we don't believe in them " and then phases that out and hikes the price meanwhile?

The only Good news is that I did not order the LED bulbs for fear of being charged £30 if I left.

Just ran another quote

Now it appears they offer three levels, Fixed, Standard and Fair Market

Tariff Name: Solarplicity's 12 Month Fixed April 2018
    Tariff Type: 12 month fixed
    Electricity Unit Rate: 13.6920p
    Electricity Standing Charge: 11.8965p
    Gas Unit Rate: 3.1710p
    Gas Standing Charge: 7.2555p
    Payment Method: Customer's chosen payment method
    Tariff Ends On: 12 months from start of supply date
    Price Guaranteed Until: Does not apply
    Exit Fees: £30/fuel
    Discounts/Additional Charges: £21 Dual Fuel Discount (incl VAT, Terms and Conditions Apply)
    Additional Products/Services: Free LEDs (Terms and Conditions Apply)

All prices include VAT at 5%. Projected cost for this product is based on the information you!!!8217;ve provided. Actual annual costs will vary depending on your usage. Savings include an assumed reduction of electricity consumption by 11% from free LED light bulbs and a £21 discount for dual fuel customers in the first year of supply. Savings compared to your current supplier as per the details you have provided. Online account management available (paperless) !!!8211; with a valid email address. Our fuel mix is 100% renewable electricity. Prices are for all payment methods except pre-payment. FREE LED bulbs for your home (applicable for dual fuel or electricity-only customers, terms and conditions apply).

Tariff Name: Solarplicity's Standard Variable
    Tariff Type: 100% renewable; variable
    Electricity Unit Rate: 13.6920p
    Electricity Standing Charge: 11.8965p
    Gas Unit Rate: 3.1710p
    Gas Standing Charge: 7.2555p
    Tariff Ends On: Does not apply
    Exit Fees: Does not apply
    Discounts/Additional Charges: Does not apply

All prices include VAT at 5%. Projected cost for this product is based on the information you!!!8217;ve provided. Actual annual costs will vary depending on your usage. Savings include an assumed reduction of electricity consumption by 11% from free LED light bulbs. Savings compared to your current supplier as per the details you have provided. Online account management available (paperless) !!!8211; with a valid email address. Our fuel mix is 100% renewable electricity. Prices are for all payment methods except pre-payment. FREE LED bulbs for your home (applicable for dual fuel or electricity-only customers, terms and conditions apply).

Tariff Name: Solarplicity's Fair Market Price 2018
    Tariff Type: 100% renewable; variable
    Electricity Unit Rate: 18.6585p
    Electricity Standing Charge: 0.0000p
    Gas Unit Rate: 4.7775p
    Gas Standing Charge: 0.0000p
    Tariff Ends On: Does not apply
    Exit Fees: Does not apply
    Discounts/Additional Charges: Does not apply

All prices include VAT at 5%. Projected cost for this product is based on the information you!!!8217;ve provided. Actual annual costs will vary depending on your usage. Savings include an assumed reduction of electricity consumption by 11% from free LED light bulbs. Savings compared to your current supplier as per the details you have provided. Online account management available (paperless) !!!8211; with a valid email address. Our fuel mix is 100% renewable electricity. Prices are for all payment methods except pre-payment. FREE LED bulbs for your home (applicable for dual fuel or electricity-only customers, terms and conditions apply).

What I was quoted in December just 4 months ago, took a month to sign up so not even had my first bill yet.

Tariff Name: Solarplicity!!!8217;s Fair Market Price Variable
    Tariff Type: Variable energy plan
    Electricity Unit Rate: 15.2754p (Now hiked to 18.6585p)
    Gas Unit Rate: 3.6540p Now Hiked to (4.7775p )
    Payment Method: Chosen payment type
    Standing Charge: No standing charges !!!8211; we don!!!8217;t believe in them
    Tariff Ends On: Not applicable
    Price Guaranteed Until: Not applicable
    Exit Fees: No cancellation fees (except we charge you £30 bill for LED's if you leave)
    Discounts/Additional Charges: £21 discount for dual fuel customers in the first year of supply
    Additional Products/Services: Includes free LEDs

What is Bizarre is that they have somehow fiddled the quote to project my cost to be lower than they did in December even with these price increases. It will be interesting to see how they did that,

I saved their quote all the way through so I have my figures, I am going to stick numbers in my own spreadsheet to see what the real cost is, then I will decide to leave, that is of course if they ever get around to sending me a bill or request for readings.
    Last edited by mbmonty; 06-04-2018 at 4:21 PM.
    • ontoitarethey
    • By ontoitarethey 10th Apr 18, 9:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ontoitarethey
    I deeply regret transferring our electricity account to this company that simply does not respond.

I noticed a week or two into the new supply the company had actually placed us on the wrong tariff so I emailed hoping for a quick response (18th March). 8 days later no response so I telephoned them several times with no success so I sent another email. Struggled accessing their online portal. sent another message this time via their portal system and also found an online survey so I completed it with negative feedback. a day or two later I gets a response! the 'enquiry' is closed! a day or two later they sends an email asking if I want their free light bulbs and complete their survey!!!!

Its now been 23days plus countless phone calls today I hang up after 32mins.

I did a quick search online and discovered on companies house the company have a big red warning their accounts are late!

I am now wondering if the company actually exists - if that's the case who is out there to help?!

Please don't let anymore fall for this desire situation
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 10th Apr 18, 11:44 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mbmonty
    I deeply regret transferring our electricity account to this company that simply does not respond.

I noticed a week or two into the new supply the company had actually placed us on the wrong tariff so I emailed hoping for a quick response (18th March). 8 days later no response so I telephoned them several times with no success so I sent another email. Struggled accessing their online portal. sent another message this time via their portal system and also found an online survey so I completed it with negative feedback. a day or two later I gets a response! the 'enquiry' is closed! a day or two later they sends an email asking if I want their free light bulbs and complete their survey!!!!

Its now been 23days plus countless phone calls today I hang up after 32mins.

I did a quick search online and discovered on companies house the company have a big red warning their accounts are late!

I am now wondering if the company actually exists - if that's the case who is out there to help?!

Please don't let anymore fall for this desire situation
    Originally posted by ontoitarethey
    Thousands of companies file their accounts late every day, it is not a big deal.

This company is investing hundreds of millions in community solar, they are also getting millions from the Government for solar projects.

It is clear to me that they seem to be having massive admin problems from complaints on here and trustpilot.

If they have not billed you (as they have not me yet) consider it a loan.

When they finally get around to issuing a bill you can dispute it if on the wrong tariff

I have never had an issue calling them but they do respond to email within 3 days, the mail to use is

theteam@solarplicity.com

I am disgusted by Solarplicity completely reneging on the value proposition that was the basis for my sign up.

"Standing Charges - We do not believe in them"
    "Fact. Our prices will always be lower than the UK's 'Big 6' energy companies."

They have hiked the rates for the tariff for no standing charge and introduced two Tariff's with a standing charge.

I can't see how they can be cheaper than the big 6 when they have hiked the rates AND removed the dual fuel discount for my Tariff.

I have not had a bill so I have to wait and see, but if they do not honour their promises above I will be onto the ASA, Trading Standards and the Energy Regulator, I will also NOT pay anything above what I was quoted.

The bizarre thing now is that based on the same usage as my origjnal quote they are now coming out cheaper which makes no sense at all.

In business you have to do what you say you are going to do or your reputation is shot and you can never be trusted again,

So what you see on their website now is meaningless because in 3 months they could decide you WILL pay more than the top 6 or whatever else they invent.

I am so disappointed with them breaking their word, if I were a shareholder or their big financial backer, I would sack the Director that decided to break their commitment, that is unless it was their backer that forced this. If the latter scenario I think the Director should run the company into the ground so the backer gets no return on their investment.
    • Alistair Brown
    • By Alistair Brown 13th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alistair Brown
    I joined Solarplicity a year ago, and apart from a rocky start transferring my supply, everything has been ok. But as my tariff is coming to an end, I've been trying to contact them. I've waited on hold for hours for the past three days, with no one picking up. I've emailed twice, with no reply. Are they still in business? It is scary when your energy supplier doesn't seem to be at home
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 6,035 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I joined Solarplicity a year ago, and apart from a rocky start transferring my supply, everything has been ok. But as my tariff is coming to an end, I've been trying to contact them. I've waited on hold for hours for the past three days, with no one picking up. I've emailed twice, with no reply. Are they still in business? It is scary when your energy supplier doesn't seem to be at home
    Originally posted by Alistair Brown
    Not that scary, your energy is still supplied by the grid and you wouldn't be cut off just because the supplier goes bust or AWOL in Solarplicity's case.
    • LeesArt
    • By LeesArt 13th Apr 18, 5:22 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    LeesArt
    I agree, just keep the money you would have paid, maybe cancel direct debit if you have one.

I think they need to bring in an 0800 number if they are going to take that long to speak to customers.

Got to a point where they will use your whole monthly allowance on hold for them.

Is a shame really, I thing it was laudible to focus on renewable energy and to ditch the standing charge (SHAME ON THEM FOR THE U TURN).
    • flower77g
    • By flower77g 13th Apr 18, 5:29 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    flower77g
    Customer service isn't very good - I was thiking of switching to them but they can't switch a customer with solar panels online and sent a lengthy incomprehensible form to complete instead!
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 14th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mbmonty
    Brilliant Energy any good?
    I have still not had a request for meter readings or a bill from Solarplicity.

I did a price comparison at Which?

First I did my current Tariff and it said it had nothing cheaper, then I put in the new 2018 Tariff (which I have not been formerly been advised by Solarplicity exists), turns out the new Tariff is going to cost me over £120 more on the usage I had last year, even with my low low usage.

The whole idea of switching was that I could spend my money on energy and get warm rather than on Standing Charge.

I have yet to get a bill so I am just waiting to see what they will pull but I am NOT paying the new rate on my useage as they have not formally advised me of an increase. Then when they do tell me I will be switching away on principle, I will not reward a company for breaking it's word.

I am not sure if it will be with Brilliant Energy as £20 of they £90 saving is an online discount, I will give readings online but I want paper bills. Also they have £58 exit fee!
    Last edited by mbmonty; 14-04-2018 at 8:36 PM.
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 15th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    ]I have still not had a request for meter readings or a bill from Solarplicity.[/B]
    by mbmonty;74162626[B
    You don't have to wait until they request a meter reading from you; you can submit them online whenever you wish (or email them to Solarplicity)

Submission of meter readings usually prompts the generation of a bill (within reason)

The whole idea of switching was that I could spend my money on energy and get warm rather than on Standing Charge.

I am not sure if it will be with Brilliant Energy as £20 of they £90 saving is an online discount, I will give readings online but I want paper bills. Also they have £58 exit fee!
    And, of course, Brilliant Energy impose daily standing charges.

The feedback thread for Brilliant Energy can be found here:
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5795459

Keep checking regularly there for any feedback
    Last edited by PaschalFun; 15-04-2018 at 2:43 PM.
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 15th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mbmonty
    Thanks

I do log in each week to the portal but the functionality to put readings in does not work.

They are obviously working on it because bits keep appearing.

I am fine waiting, the longer it is before they tell me that they are increasing rates the longer I will insist on only being charged the rates I agreed with them.

I agree about brilliant energy, I have no doubt that Solarplicity's new tariff with the Standing Charge that they do not believe in will be cheaper too.

However, I am not in the business of rewarding companies for breaking not only their word but their values, I may go to Scottish Power as I have heard good things about them.

To be honest I do not know how they can think they can be trusted after this, right now they make promises about being based on renewable energy and they make other promised too, why would anyone believe a single one of them if they can ditch them every three months.
    • averygoodview
    • By averygoodview 16th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    averygoodview
    Solarplicity Transfer
    I decided to change from Iresa to Solarplicity on the 17th March 2018. I was given a transfer date of the 9th April 2018. The transfer went well with absolutely no problems at all. I received e-mails at various stages - not many but enough to keep me informed. I would like to make clear that this company operates a Monday to Friday service, so you will have to take that into account. But I would recommend them as I have had no problems at all. There is one thing that perplexes me and that is on the ML comparison site they calculate my monthly charge at £56.00 yet I am paying £38.00 and that is based upon the same year kWh, I am not sure why that is?
    • FullForce
    • By FullForce 16th Apr 18, 10:44 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    FullForce
    I decided to change from Iresa to Solarplicity on the 17th March 2018. I was given a transfer date of the 9th April 2018. The transfer went well with absolutely no problems at all. I received e-mails at various stages - not many but enough to keep me informed. I would like to make clear that this company operates a Monday to Friday service, so you will have to take that into account. But I would recommend them as I have had no problems at all. There is one thing that perplexes me and that is on the ML comparison site they calculate my monthly charge at £56.00 yet I am paying £38.00 and that is based upon the same year kWh, I am not sure why that is?
    Originally posted by averygoodview
    I can't help you on that one sorry.

The ML comparison site would take the consumption data you provide, calculate the annual cost according to the tariff, and divide by 12 to give you the monthly figure.
    So the ML comparison site has calculated the annual cost as £672

If you get a quote from Solarplicity, as they explain, they reduce your electricity consumption by 11%, before doing the same calculation.
    But that would not explain why they suggest you annual cost would only be £456. (a saving of over 32%)

If you are certain you are comparing the same tariff, and inputting the same consumption in kWh. then why not see just how good Solarplicity Customer Service is, and ask them to explain their calculation in full.
    Last edited by FullForce; 16-04-2018 at 10:47 PM.
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 17th Apr 18, 1:02 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mbmonty
    I made some enquiries about why they were appearing or not appearing on different sites. I was told that there was an issue with the way they calculate. For example making assumptions about the value of LED bubs savings as a percentage of your bill.

I was also told that they had asked not to be included except for a few areas because they were bogged down with calls.

How anyone can sign up with them now that they have broken a pillar of their promise I do not know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

244Posts Today

3,200Users online

Martin's Twitter