Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BookwormPrincess
    • By BookwormPrincess 6th Dec 12, 5:25 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 3Thanks
    BookwormPrincess
    Scam masquerading as UK Dept of Finance
    • 6th Dec 12, 5:25 PM
    Scam masquerading as UK Dept of Finance 6th Dec 12 at 5:25 PM
    I've just had a phone call from the "UK Department of Finance"!

The man with an indian accent preceded to tell me that I could claim back all the bank charges I have paid, so would I like the money back in a cheque or straight to my account? Alarm Bells!

I asked which company he was calling from several times. He told me, no it is not a company but the UK Department of Finance. I said I'd never heard of it! He went quiet.

Then I asked him where he got my details from? He wouldn't answer so I had to ask several times. Finally he said "why should I tell you where I got them?" to which I replied "Why should I tell you anything about my finances?" I asked again where he got my details and he preceded to tell me my correct address but I did not confirm it. I just asked again where he got my details from and which company was he calling from? He then said "You're not listening. I have told you that you have bank charges you can get back"

In the end I just said that if he wanted to put something in writing he could but that I would not discuss anything of this matter over the telephone. He then said "Ok, in writing" and put the phone down.

It is obviously a scam but I am a bit alarmed that he has my phone number and address, especially as I am on the TPS register (which I am about to enter my details in again!).

Has anyone else had such calls?

I have paid bank charges in the past, but not many. Probably under 100. The last charge I paid was actually given back straight away by the bank.

Off to vist TPS website now ....
Page 1
  • Johnny Blue
    • 9th Oct 13, 4:44 PM
    • 9th Oct 13, 4:44 PM
    This sounds exactly like the call I just received, about which I have posted in a thread called "Is this refund call SCAM?".

(MSE won't let me post links, as I'm a 'new user'! I've only been here for three years!)
    • montymackintosh
    • By montymackintosh 16th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    montymackintosh
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    UK Finance Department
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    They're still at it, calling using what looks like a mobile number 07988912191.
    Indian sounding gent, trying to convince me that the Government has told the banks to refund 'everyone' with 2300 worth of bank charges and his department has the job of arranging this.
    Interestingly, the banks will apparently charge 47% if I ask them direct about it and they will only refund if you can prove you have taken out a life insurance policy within the last 2 months???
    This is where he can help me he says!!!!!
    After I had asked him a lot of awkward questions he put me on to his 'manager'. I told her I would research this issue on the internet and before I could finish speaking she'd hung up.
    If, like me, you're reading this after an internet search into the company - well done.
    If you're reading it after having second thoughts about agreeing to something CALL YOUR BANK or which ever details you gave and warn them about what you have done.
    • Francois-Xavier
    • By Francois-Xavier 26th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Francois-Xavier
    • 26th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    • 26th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    Amazingly enough they are still going. Hung up when I told them there was no claim. Number is 07945207164
    They should learn to use some realistic sounding department names....well done monty for keeping them busy. Off to check how to block numbers now...
    • BertLiv
    • By BertLiv 11th Jun 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BertLiv
    • 11th Jun 18, 4:00 PM
    • 11th Jun 18, 4:00 PM
    I get regular calls from the "British Finance Department". I normally ask where they got my details from and they never answer but then get angry with me when I ask them to remove my number from their system, one woman even yelled at me. Today I asked to speak to the woman's supervisor and she said he had died today and that I should pray for him! Then, after I asked again to speak to someone more senior, she said that I could speak to her supervisor but then she'd get fired, then she started getting angry with me and it sounded like she was taking the p***. I eventually got fed up and hung up I've tried to block the number but they keep ringing from different mobile number - not sure how to stop it! If anyone works out how - please let me know!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Jun 18, 4:32 PM
    • 94,498 Posts
    • 62,449 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 11th Jun 18, 4:32 PM
    • 11th Jun 18, 4:32 PM
    Best way is to stop engaging with them. Hang up instantly. Blow a whistle down the phone or do anything other than talk to them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

1,196Users online

Martin's Twitter