Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • parklover
    • By parklover 7th Apr 18, 9:56 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Thames water bill dispute
    • #1
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:56 AM
    Thames water bill dispute 7th Apr 18 at 9:56 AM
    I am shocked to receive Thames bill which said there is an arrears of 450 pounds which is in 2016. the amount is more than my one year usage.
    Back in 2016 i already disputed that and it was never resolved ( not sure if they added interest)

    So i cancelled my direct debit just now and told them that i am not going to pay until the bills are clear. I have also requested for all previous bills for investigation.
    Thames water on the phone threaten to take to court etc.

    Does anybody experience the same thing and what is the best thing to do?
Page 1
    • parklover
    • By parklover 7th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #2
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    • #2
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    change wording
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Apr 18, 10:25 AM
    • 10,368 Posts
    • 4,338 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • #3
    • 7th Apr 18, 10:25 AM
    • #3
    • 7th Apr 18, 10:25 AM
    Not paying and cancelling DD does not help you .
    You need legal advice and suggest your local Citizens Advice Bureau .
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 7th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 27,271 Posts
    • 13,349 Thanks
    • #4
    • 7th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • #4
    • 7th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    Are you on a meter?

    On what grounds did you dispute 2016 bill?

    As the debt issue apparently is not resolved, the normal procedure is to increase your DD to repay debt.

    If you don't get it resolved it will affect your credit record and the 'debt' will be passed to a Debt Collection Agency.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 7th Apr 18, 12:30 PM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 2,161 Thanks
    • #5
    • 7th Apr 18, 12:30 PM
    • #5
    • 7th Apr 18, 12:30 PM
    It may be worth checking your credit record to see if you've got a default.

    I know Anglian Water report to the credit reference agencies, dunno about Thames so it's worth trying to get it sorted out properly rather than just cancelling your DD and hoping it sorts itself. Otherwise you might find you have serious problems in the future.

    Hopefully you've kept copies of previous bills so you can track back and prove your case should it end up in court.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

909Posts Today

5,871Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke?

  • No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr?

  • Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R?

  • Follow Martin