Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benten69
    • By benten69 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    • 321Posts
    • 1,326Thanks
    benten69
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants?
    • 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants? 29th Aug 16 at 8:59 AM
    Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, so admin, please move if needed.

Do you guys (and girls) tip when you go for a meal out? Personally I hate the idea, and it's even worse when you've got the waiter standing next to you as you select "No" on the card machine.

However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company 20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.

Hence, I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it? Tesco don't tell me to pay extra if I go to a till vs going to the self checkout.

However, if there is a large group of us and say the bill comes out to 18 each, we'll all chuck in 20 and let the waiter / waitress keep the change. That's the only scenario it works in for me, as it saves everyone the hassle of finding change, waiting to get their change, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?
    Emergency Fund - 100% Complete | Motorcycle Fund - 2.2% Complete
    New Kit Fund - 0% Complete | Touring Fund - 0% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: -161,250 | Mar '18: -151,288.12

Page 13
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 4th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 3,758 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I do not want tipping culture here in the UK. We have minimum wage and everyone gets paid fairly. We do not need a US system where the staff have no job security working on $2 an hour and need to survive on tips.
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    There has been a tipping culture in the UK all our lives.
    • QueensGreene50
    • By QueensGreene50 25th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    QueensGreene50
    It depends on the venue to be honest. If it's a nice sit down place with good service I will leave a tip, however I think In the U.K. you're not really expected to.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 29th Mar 18, 1:08 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 3,640 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    In the USA menu prices are 15% lower than they would be if there weren't any tips because they don't pay their staff properly. That's the deal. if they had to pay their staff, all menu prices would rise 15%.

To refuse to tip in the US is amazingly ignorant. Everyone knows the price is whatever is on the menu, plus 15%. That's the deal you sign up for when you walk in and sit down.

In countries where this is not the case and tipping is optional, like here, it's different.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 29th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    • 3,758 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    Nick_C
    15%? In Smallsville maybe. Most places now print a suggested tip of 18/20/22% on the bill.

I've started tipping less in CA though as staff there have quite a high minimum wage and health insurance. Some places in SF add an additional service charge to cover these additional costs. I reduce the tip by the same amount.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 30th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    fatrab
    I do tip. But I have a 10% or 5 maximum rule. 5% or 2.50 each for good food and good service.

When we were eating out a lot, we'd normally go for pre-theatre type meal deals in smaller independent restaurants, e.g. 2 courses for 9.95 - plus a few drinks, which usually came to 30-40 so we'd rarely hit the 5 maximum. It doesn't take much for us to slash the tip either, which is usually slow/unfriendly service or getting the order wrong.

The way I see it, if every couple/table gave them a 5 tip they'd be earning a good few quid on top of their wages.

Hardly eat out nowadays though, too busy money-saving!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 1st 11lb lost so far
    April's Goals - 16/21 NSD - 16/20 Lunches - 22/28 AFD - 22/31 TAFD (take away free days)
    31 x 2 coins (#32)
    • z1a
    • By z1a 30th Mar 18, 4:34 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    z1a
    No .
    • Dealied
    • By Dealied 31st Mar 18, 4:31 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Dealied
    Depends if the restaurant has already a service charge, i wouldn't give any tip.
    • Techno
    • By Techno 4th Apr 18, 9:38 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    Techno
    We enjoy the odd cruise and quite a few of the Americans bribe the staff (sorry, tip in advance) to assure good service so we have moved to a line that includes the tip. It is a bit more expensive but we Brits just find the whole tipping culture which is driven by the USA and their awful approach to service staff, so uncomfortable. And, I agree with others who state that it is the quality of the food not the service that encourages me to visit a restaurant.
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 5th Apr 18, 7:16 AM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 2,036 Thanks
    NeilCr
    And, I agree with others who state that it is the quality of the food not the service that encourages me to visit a restaurant.
    Originally posted by Techno
    For me, it's both.

We have a fairly new "high end" restaurant in a nearby town. I gather the food is excellent. It's not our style of food and is expensive so haven't been there myself

They are losing customers because of surly service - in particular, one waiter. One of my friends used to use it regularly for business lunches but has recently stopped going there as the service is as it is.

We tip. 10%. Unless the service is poor. We use 2/3 particular restaurants regularly and have built up a good rapport with the staff.,
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 5th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 8,401 Thanks
    NBLondon
    We enjoy the odd cruise and quite a few of the Americans bribe the staff (sorry, tip in advance) to assure good service
    Originally posted by Techno
    Does it actually ensure good service? Or just avoid deliberately bad service?

Another reason to avoid cruises... that and the risk of ending up on the same one as an annoying Welsh bloke who thinks his impressions are hilarious.
    Womble #7 - Running Total 9.56 $1.99 3.35 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10 A$0.05 C$0.88 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.50
    • LunaaLouuby
    • By LunaaLouuby 5th Apr 18, 3:45 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    LunaaLouuby
    I always tip in restaurants to reflect the service of the wait staff. I've previously worked in a take away and know how stressful it can be dealing with hungry customers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

14Posts Today

3,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin