MoneySaving ways to go Trick or Treating

It's not everybody's cup of tea, we know, but we were all young once, and many of us found it thrilling - or should I say chilling - going trick or treating with family and friends, seeing it as nothing more than a fun night out once a year!

Despite numerous sweetie and chocolate offers in the supermarkets this time of year, it can get pricey for those on either side of the door. Especially if you live in an area with lots of families!

So what are your MoneySaving tips? (Let's be positive, people! We want no comments along the lines of 'Don't go at all!' or 'Turn the lights off and pretend you're not at home!' :rotfl:)

Do you have a go-to outfit that you repurpose every year? What low-cost gifts do you give to 'treaters'?

Let us know in the comments below :j

- MSE Molly
9pq8rzqiakm0.png MSE's Academy of Money digital badge

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We have a variety of multi-purpose items that can be reused for various costumes. A simple black cloak can be part of a vampire, witch, pirate, highwayman/Highway Rat costume etc, and if you buy/make them long for a small child they'll just get a bit shorter as they grow!

Treats-wise, I add a couple of packets of sweets or chocolate to the shopping basket for a couple of weeks beforehand but only if they're on offer. To keep costs right down, you could buy bags of Starburst (£1 when on offer at Tesco) and give each child one or two. They don't need more than that so a couple of bags should do. Or get satsumas (draw on faces with Sharpie) or apples or mini boxes of raisins, if you will eat any left-overs yourselves and aren't sure how many children to expect.
  • MSE_Molly
    MSE_Molly Posts: 85 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Love the faces on satsumas idea!!!
    9pq8rzqiakm0.png MSE's Academy of Money digital badge

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Unfortunately it's cheaper to buy multi bags of sweets (10p haribo bags etc) than raisin boxes or satsumas. We usually spend a fiver. Costumes are often reused etc. Plus the kids bring sweets back; that evens our spend out and provides them with sweets for the next few weeks.

Also all trick or treaters that knock on our door actually have to do sth. None of this sweets for free business ;)

Colleague of mine once handed out toothbrushes and travel size toothpaste, which I thought was a great idea.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I buy the costumes for the following year, in the Halloween sales the day after Halloween. And then sell the ones from the current year, shortly before Halloween the next year (providing they haven't been worn to death in the interim).
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • We live in a village where people travel from MILES to visit at Halloween - we go through a 5kg tub of swizzles from Costco (well nearly all... I pilfer the Parma violets for friends and some of the lollies for me first :rotfl:
    On the other hand everyone goes really all out decorating and all the kids make a good effort with their costumes - it’s really quite cosy here at Halloween which seems odd hehehe
    Even the supervising adults dress up and it’s been known for drinks to be topped up as people go round :rotfl:

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts