Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 14th Oct 19, 9:28 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 24Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    EE Broadband?
    • 14th Oct 19, 9:28 PM
    EE Broadband? 14th Oct 19 at 9:28 PM
    Hi,

I need some advice, I am a customer of EE as I have recently just joined on a monthly mobile with Unlimited Texts and minutes and 10GB on Apple iPhone 6s Smart Plan 4G 10GB £39 - I am just wondering do EE do broadband even though I got a mobile with them? if so, which is the best to go with and if I do sign up for broadband, when do the billing start?

Can I have broadband without a phone line or do I need one?

Any advice would be great, thanks as I am clueless to this as I never been with EE before.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Oct 19, 9:43 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 14th Oct 19, 9:43 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 9:43 PM
    Yes they do broadband.
    No you can't have it on its own it will have to be with a telephone line.

Your billing generally starts from when the service goes live which depending on what needs to happen - if you need a new line physically installed or if something can be reconfigured at the change. Typically anywhere from 14-21 days from placing the order.
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 14th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • 14th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    Yes they do broadband.
    No you can't have it on its own it will have to be with a telephone line.

Your billing generally starts from when the service goes live which depending on what needs to happen - if you need a new line physically installed or if something can be reconfigured at the change. Typically anywhere from 14-21 days from placing the order.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Thanks for your reply. I have just looked at this and it states I don't need a landline for broadband, confused.

https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-router/details
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 15th Oct 19, 9:07 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:07 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:07 AM
    Update: I phoned them this morning to ask about broadband and I have been told that since I have just joined 2 months ago, I can't have a second line until my mobile account get's more payments on my account as I am only allowed one line at the moment.

Does that seem right?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 15th Oct 19, 9:53 AM
    • 13,440 Posts
    • 6,148 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:53 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 9:53 AM
    Post is confusing .
    Two telephone lines ??as in land line .
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 15th Oct 19, 11:36 AM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 15th Oct 19, 11:36 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 11:36 AM
    Thanks for your reply. I have just looked at this and it states I don't need a landline for broadband, confused.

Originally posted by Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    That is mobile broadband, internet over the mobile telephone network, aka "data".

I was under the impression you were after broadband down a telephone line the traditional way, which is an entirely different thing from your follow up posts.
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 15th Oct 19, 12:17 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:17 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    It’s the terminology that gets a bit confusing . That EE 4g router will give you full internet access. It uses EE’s mobile phone signal/network to connect you to the web. It does not require a telephone landline or cable connection of any kind.

You just plug it into the mains and it will automatically connect itself to the nearest EE mobile phone mast. You can then connect all your devices (laptop, PC, phone, TV etc) wirelessly to the EE 4G router exactly the same as you would with a landline router. 4G routers also have the advantage of being ‘portable’. They can be used anywhere that has a sufficiently strong mobile phone signal.

However, that particular EE 4G router is very restricted in as much as all your devices must be connected wirelessly,...it has no LAN connections on the back of it that allow hard-wired connections. In addition the EE data plans for their 4G routers are eye-wateringly expensive, imho.

‘Three’ have a 4G mobile wireless router (4 LAN connections + wireless) option. My daughter has two of their 4G routers (one at home and one in her office) and they both give flawless internet connection with consistent download speeds of 85Mbps. The ‘Three’ unlimited data plans for their 4G routers are very modestly priced, imo.

However, 4G routers (EE, Three or whichever) will not suit every household/location. They need a good strong (and consistent!) mobile phone signal to operate properly.

I recently purchased a ‘Three’ 4g router and when connected it worked very well and was quite fast (50Mbps);...however, it suffered intermittent periods of complete signal outage. I had to send it back and cancel the contract (which proved difficult!). My daughters experience with ‘Three’ has been all positive,...mine was completely the opposite.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 15th Oct 19, 12:27 PM
    • 4,032 Posts
    • 1,175 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:27 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 12:27 PM
    If you want broadband thru a phone line, sign up for it.
    It's seperate from mobiles, but they may give you a discount, or a bit more data on your phone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,804Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter